So who saw it????

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by poacher, Sep 23, 2006.

1. BigO01

BigO01 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Well perhaps this is wishful thinking but maybe with 911 and now the attention to our open southern border someone at CBS is finally starting to "Get It" .

If not well as long as it doesn't turn into the usual left wing anti gun garbage it should be entertaining while it lasts . As long as they don't kill off Gerald McRaney "as it looked like they might in the first part" it won't turn antigun and hopefully not too boring .

They could have done without the whole prison bus deal but of course we had to have the Romantic drama of reuniting the hero Jake , with his long lost love Emily .

Considering that the last scene of the second part was with the excop from St. Louis putting push pins in a map of the U.S. , from a Morse code message he got on the Ham radio and he was using a whole bunch of pins it will be interesting as to how they go about explaining all of the Nukes that hit America , short of a cheap remake of "Red Dawn" .

They had ample opportunity to make it antigun as you saw citizens walking the streets with rifles and even a near riot situation at the gas station with armed citizens and the Mayor present along with local Cops .

I doubt that McRaney would sign on if thats what was intended though .

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I watched the second episode last night and it seems like they are passing some factual info on the fall out.
    And if it keeps up along that type of message with the show then maybe, just maybe some Americans will start to prepare and make the EOTWAWKI a little better .
    I will be watching for the liberal crap to enter the show , so far so go, hey at least they showed owning a gun a good thing in the ranch scene with Emily and Jake killing the escaped prisoners in self defense
    We will see.

3. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I am enjoying the "entertainment" for what it is, entertainment. I don't look for advice from the television, but entertainment. So far, I like it. Ultimately the industry is influenced by ratings, and the desires of their viewers. Let's not hijack the thread too far though. I was just glad it wasn't a big cliffhanger where we would have to wait until next week to find out if the fake LEO would be stopped in time.

4. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

[​IMG]
    Lets not forget the great shots!

5. jim

jim Monkey+++ Founding Member

I had to go online to see it, but enjoyed the show. I bet few of the viewing audience realize that a proper airburst would contain nowhere near the fallout they're worrying about. Of course, they would have no way of knowing whether it was an air or ground burst or how many it was either.

I think one good thing was that it showed to be prepared and suspicious.

Here is something that is a very balanced one item meal.

[FONT=/>[/B]

<font size=][SIZE=" 3?]<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://survivalmonkey.com/forum/ />[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/B]
    <font face=" />[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]

[SIZE=3][B][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#cc0000][/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][B][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#cc0000]INGREDIENTS:[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]2 1/2 cups wheat berries [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]1 1/2 cups spelt flour [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]1/2 cup barley [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]1/2 cup millet [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]1/4 cup dry green lentils [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]2 tablespoons dry Great Northern beans [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]2 tablespoons dry kidney beans [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]2 tablespoons dried pinto beans [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]4 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C) [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]1 cup honey [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]1/2 cup olive oil [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]2 tablespoons salt [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][CENTER][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]<HR align=center width="100%" color=white noShade SIZE=3>[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][B][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#cc0000]DIRECTIONS:[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][B][COLOR=#cc0000][FONT=Verdana]1. [/FONT][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Measure the water, honey, olive oil, and yeast into a large bowl. Let sit for 3 to 5 minutes.[/FONT][/COLOR][B][COLOR=#cc0000][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][B][COLOR=#cc0000][FONT=Verdana]2. [/FONT][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Stir all of the grains and beans together until well mixed. Grind in a flour mill. Add fresh milled flour and salt to the yeast mixture; stir until well mixed, about 10 minutes. The dough will be like that of a batter bread. Pour dough into two greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pans.[/FONT][/COLOR][B][COLOR=#cc0000][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][B][COLOR=#cc0000][FONT=Verdana]3. [/FONT][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until dough has reached the top of the pan.[/FONT][/COLOR][B][COLOR=#cc0000][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][B][COLOR=#cc0000][FONT=Verdana]4. [/FONT][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 to 50 minutes, or until loaves are golden brown.[/FONT][/COLOR][B][COLOR=#cc0000][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    </B>[/COLOR][/FONT]</B>

6. BigO01

The one thing I didn't care for was the obvious insult to small towns across America .

The Idea that someone who is simply an Ex cop from St. Louis is some kind of expert on nuclear emergency is at best ridiculous , most of the clowns in and around St. Louis are probably lucky to tell you what kind of ammo they carry much less do all the things this guy does . He's and expert on fallout and on top of that understands Morse code "an almost dead way of communicating" now had he said he was ex military or FEMA , anything other than just your run of the mill copper .

7. E.L.

I think more will be coming on that, we will have to see how the character develops. I could see though that a cop in a larger city might have the training available that a smaller town cop wouldn't have. Just from the available funds and training from the Dept. of Homeland Security. I am from a small town also, and I bet my small town like Jericho would weather the storm a lot better than the large cities, just because we are more self-sustainable.

8. jim

On the down side, this show will point the direction for the few that didn't already realize that small towns and country is the place to be during SHTF senarios. It will cause problems for sure.

jim

9. poacher

poacher Monkey+++ Founding Member

The second show is trying to set the boyfriend/ girlfriend thing. It was pretty good on the rain and fallout portion tho'. As far as the St. Louis cop goes, [BSf] . I agree with Big O, most can't tell you how to disassemble their duty weapons or the type of rounds they have in it. There are always exceptions to the rule but for the most part I'd say it's true.
    Furthermore this cop was listening to Morse code and was able to write it all down without missing a beat? I started to learn morse at one time but that was 15 yrs ago and I couldn't even begin to tell you what was being typed out. So either this guy is using morse a whole lot or there's alot more to it. I think it's the latter one and at the last part of the show just before he went into the room to push pins his wife made a comment about all that was going on and he stated don't start with it your alive aren't you? I'm betting he is some Gov type that saw this coming and moved his family out. Oh and one last thing I could be wrong here but if I remember correctly he turned on a electric light when everyone else was using lamps and flashlights.
    Take care Be safe Poacher.

10. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I disagree: Why would a Cabin-builder from Michigan , live in Tennessee and put together a site like Survival Monkey? His past employment gives him some skills but the sum of a man is a combination of his life experiences; maybe he got fired from the PD for being some kind of paranoid gun-nut survivalist? JMHO but, I'm pretty sure I have most of the skills and knowledge that he's shown so far.

11. BigO01

Well since it's Sunday morning and I'm bored well make a discussion out of this for the heck of it LOL .

First off at least in my opinion Jerhico isn't a small town , I remember someone saying to the Mayor how there were 5,000 people that needed to get to shelters . Small to me are these little hick towns with 500 or less sometimes a couple hundred even .

5,000 is medium and a town of that size would often be in a position to provide their police departments with more training in an area such as a nuclear emergency than a big city like St. Louis .

Before everyone starts laughing at that statement think about it for a few seconds . A town that size would most likely have a department of say 20 cops or less with at least a few mile stretch of Interstate running through it . They would be hitting the jackpot every single day just in traffic fines on the interstate , most of which would just get paid out of court = less cost to the city and more profit .

Big city translates into huge department and huge costs , do you have any idea what it would cost the city of St. Louis in overtime to have each and every street cop sit in on some kind of seminar on nuclear fallout ?

I would bet even after 911 your average NY city copper hasn't had any kind of formal training in this area , but I bet some of the smaller departments in upstate NY have .

After the academy most cops I know don't receive diddly for training other than perhaps weapons training , unless they switch from say being you typical street cop to a special unit like say a traffic only cop or perhaps a crime scene investigator "buddy of mine became a homicide investigator after about 10 years and was given quite a bit of training" .

I say it is your typical Hollywood stupid know nothing bull and of course an effort to ram the racial message down our throats that blacks have joined mainstream America , when we all know that's crap .

Besides I always have the trump card of saying that you guys don't live in St. Louis and therefore don't know what kind of clowns we have for cops , I do LOL .

Like I said I'm bored , lets hope the show stays on the air for awhile as it is one of the few on prime time worth watching .

12. E.L.

I think you are spot on. I believe that most of us here just from the general talk back and forth and "what if" scenarios so many have discussed would be just as prepared as this guy. In the context of the story though, I think that this individual will end up being some kind of Gov. spook.

13. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I guess it depends on where you come from.

In my little Columbia CT, we are just about 5000 people, 21.97 sq miles, rural, working dairy farms, 8 horse farms, 1 gas station, 1 k-8 school, 1 library, 3 churches (Congregationalist, Catholic, Baptist) 1 volunteer fire department, 1 post office, 1 resident state trooper, 1 mfg co, several service businesses, 1 restaurant, 1 hairdresser, Board of Selectmen/Town meeting form of government, 1 multiple housing building (Senior Citizens only) 1 Lions Club - meetings are in member's homes, 5 cemetaries (We were incorporated in the 1700's), 1 town dump - opps, now it's the transfer stations, open Wednesday and Saturday, since old Charlie died in 1978 there is no garbage pickup. We have a Rec Park with 3 baseball fields for T-Ball and Little league, a playscape and a tennis court. Until the 1980's we had 2 town trucks - 1 pickup, 1 large - residents had plows and we took care of plowing town roads individually. Every house has a basement but there are no community shelters of any kind. Every house has a water well and a septic tank - there are no public utilities. It's the kind of place that considers you a newcomer until you have lived there for at least 30 years.

We are a small town, not too dissimilar to what I imagine Jerico is supposed to represent. There is a lot of collective knowledge in that little community, some of it old yankee and some of it academic. I'm interested in how Jerico presents the problems and solutions arising from a SHTF scenerio.

14. E.L.

Our town is a lot like RH's. While our police are known to write a few tickets to speeders through town, I have never seen a police car on the interstate which goes through the southern end of our town.

I do think that quite a few blacks have joined the mainstream. We have friends that are black, and both the husband and wife have advanced degrees. We don't see them that often but when we do I enjoy their company. I can't tell the number of time he asked me to play golf with him (i'm not a golfer) and when I was clearing my land he offerred to come out and help numerous times too. Good people. Are they "A-typical" maybe not, but the lines that divided the races are becoming more gray as more of the minorities are becoming more educated despite the efforts of the black leaders such as Rev. Jackson, & Mr. Sharpton to keep them ignorant, racist, and dependent upon the system. That's another discussion for another day though.

I expect that the St. Louis cop was not a walk-the-beat cop. Stay tuned......

15. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Don't watch much T.V. at all, I'll have to check it out and see for myself if it's as good as ya'll say. I wouldn't be surprised if a leftist viewpoint comes about at some point.

16. E.L.

They typically do, but remember Gerald McRaney is part of this, and I do not believe he would stand for that.

17. BigO01

Colt if you have a high speed connection go to CBS's website and watch the first two shows so you'll know what's going on .

18. jim

I'm wondering why the ex-cop from Missouri went out into the rain while everyone was under cover, and moved that steel barrel. What's in it that makes it so important that it has to be walled up in the basement?

jim

19. yonder

yonder No Despot's Servant

It's pretty well known at this point that the federal government has established a means by which FEMA (now DHS) becomes a shadow government in the event of a catastrophic domestic attack like this. I'm thinking this guy is DHS or more specifically maybe FEMA. I'm thinking that he is making preparations for asserting control in some way but since he is by himself right now he doesn't have the means to do that.

I don't really have a clue about what is in the drum though.

20. jim

I've often wondered about FEMA. Do they have the manpower to effect very much of the country during times of wide spread emergency? On the scale of the TV show, if it were real, I wonder how much "projection" they have.

jim

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7