So you think you can walk to the woods and live! Explicit Photos You have been warned.

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by HK_User, Feb 16, 2015.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Ah yes, the kind who would walk up the mountain lion going " here kitty kitty kitty"......

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    Seawolf1090 likes this.
  2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Been there in the middle of winter, not as bad but still a lot of fool mistakes, like the guy who center punched a tree with his head and snowmobile the day we arrived.

OTOH, a herd of Bison mosied to Old Faithful as I was waiting by myself for the last blow. They surrounded the seats and I just stayed under one of the concrete slabs till they left, a little cold but all OK. Never panic and never run.

3. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

[winkthumb] Yellowstone in winter is so cool.

Tully Mars and HK_User like this.
  4. HK_User

Perspective is sure different, to stay in the winter lodge was great. Only folks there in the winter are those who want to be there, if you get my drift.

5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Aha... Yellowstone memories!

My grandmother wanted a picture of the cute little bear cubs foraging through the garbage can by their camp site. Unfortunately Momma bear was at the camp site below, which put grandma between Mom and the Cubs.

Between my Dad and I yelling at her to get back in the trailer, she managed to acquire enough composure to turn and promptly get back before Momma Bear got her head our of the garbage can.

People who are ignorant of the wilderness should stay out of the wilderness...

6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

People who are ignorant of the wilderness should stay out of the wilderness."
    Bears gotta eat too.....

7. -06

-06 Monkey+++

And they will. If you search your memory banks you will remember the guys sister killed in Alabama by a Cougar/Puma. I do not go anywhere--even out into the front yard to "tinkle" at night w/o carrying. Have found bear tracks in our rear driveway. All kinds of animals get rabies and I do not want to fork out $1,500 in shots or under go problems.

8. HK_User

Had the shots at age 4 , some 2o some odd at that time all in the stomach. They never found the dog so no chances were taken. Insurance, well that was before insurance and Obama and we did OK.

9. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

you be careful @HK_User ... with a big cat watching... I'd have a sidearm and sharps on me as well when I went looking... back up/redundancy is life.... jmho but I know I'm preaching to the choir here ;)

10. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Keep working your way north, my friend. I'm up by the OK state line, and we have cougar and bobcat around here. From what I understand, a cougar's territory is pretty darn big!

11. HK_User

OK I should have placed these pictures here to start with, so for some this is a repeat.

So, an on going problem and maybe I have a handle on it.

I'll dig up the pictures of the rib cages and the bones later to day. But I certainly need to get this in hand or I'm just feeding the wild life.

I'll check the trail cameras in a bit and and see what was out in the 18 degree temps last night. The Yotes have to eat most every day so figure some thing is going to die every other night.

005.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

Georgia_Boy likes this.
  12. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Do you have trap's set out for them now that you have confirmed their pattern and area of travel? Or are you hoping to just get lucky and encounter them for a shot?

13. HK_User

Traps set and cameras in place. The snow gave me a chance to track and see what their route is on to my place. They den up else where so knowing their route is paramount.

I planned on building a Yote box trap that works. This is a type that is pretty large and has a LIVE bait section in the trip pan area. The Live bait is safe and secure and the Yote can only see it if they are at the door end of the trap. It would work well for cats too. Cold weather slowed me down since I have to build it out side. I have caught Yotes in this style trap before. The trap must be well camouflaged and covered well so it feels like the Yote has the animal trapped.

Yard Dart likes this.
  14. HK_User

All but one died in a remote area/areas. Only one died near the herd and I believe she was trying to give birth and was injured by predators and broke a leg. I got to her before the scavengers so I have a pretty clear picture of that event. The others are hours or a day after the death. All animals were healthy and the calves were killed after their mothers protection ceased due to the mother's death.

DSCF0391.JPG

DSCF0393.JPG

DSCF0392.JPG

DSCF0394.JPG

DSCF0399.JPG

DSCF0376.JPG

DSCF0398.JPG

DSCF0396.JPG

DSCF0384.JPG

DSCF0389.JPG

DSCF0400.JPG

DSCF0390.JPG

DSCF0378.JPG

DSCF0385.JPG

15. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Sorry again for your loss..... kill all the bastards!!

16. HK_User

Working on that.

17. HK_User

Note the nose of the cow with the blood trails. This is indicative of cats' actions in harassing the cow with swipes at its nose and face while a second one attacks from the rear. This cow was only a few hours dead when I found it in a clearing. Buzzards were there first but not by much.

Time to check the trail cams. Later and thanks for y'alls concern. Too bad they did away with the county hunters. My taxes still being paid but little results from them.

Yard Dart likes this.
  18. HK_User

NO Tracks this AM. Muddy as can be from the melting snow so tracks by Bob Cat or Yote would be easy to see them in the mud and water run off..

The Yotes knew I was trailing them yesterday as exhibited by their many round about circles.

This Jack was all that showed and that was before it got cold.

I__00001.JPG

19. The Duece

The Duece Monkey

Got chased by a bull that had gotten into the field i was hunting in.....not fun,actually thought i was going to have to shoot the damn thing
    D

20. HK_User

Neighbors joined in on the problem.

One Yote gone for good.

Cat's suspiciously absent. Some one may have nailed it or it just moved on. Time will tell.

No Tracks for 3 days.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7