Sodium bicarbonate aka Baking Soda

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by stg58, Apr 21, 2023.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Very common and cheap with many uses brushing teeth, cleaning, cooking, baking, hygiene there are so many uses. I posted 2 links, there are many more.
    An essential item in our houses.
    There are many brands, but Arm & Hammer is the brand I associate with Baking Soda.

[​IMG]

If kept cool (room temperature) and dry (an airtight container is recommended to keep out moist air), sodium bicarbonate can be kept without a significant amount of decomposition for at least two or three years.

Sodium bicarbonate - Wikipedia

Baking Soda Experiments, Recipes & Crafts | ARM & HAMMER

2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Sodium bicarb reminds me of those plastic toy diving submarines one could get in cereal packets back in the day when I was a kid. I'm sure my mother used sodium bicarbonate for the same purpose.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
  3. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Mixed with a little vinegar and you had a mild chemical explosive, or you could use a gallon of vinegar and a box of baking soda for those really big jobs!

4. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I remember the baking soda boxes always by the kitchen and bathroom sinks in grandma's house . Put in the fridge and it was supposed to absorb the smells and keep the fridge fresh.

5. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Sodium carbonate is used as well around here = Washing soda , with borax and vinegar in the washing machine with my homemade soap.
    Squeaky clean Sloth

GrayGhost, Gator 45/70, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  6. 3cyl

3cyl Monkey+++

Good for grease fires too.

7. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Also great at neutralizing spilled battery acid...we go through boxes and boxes of the stuff at work!

Gator 45/70, SB21 and GrayGhost like this.
  8. Horsegal

Horsegal Monkey

Once a week, I add it to my shampoo and it gets rid of any product (gel, hairspray, etc), residue.

Tempstar, Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7