Some Really Good Places Not to Hide Your Stuff.

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by UncleMorgan, Jan 3, 2018.

1. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

People Are Sharing The Best Hiding Places To Hide Your Valuables From Thieves

This article has a few tasty little items in it, but, unfortunately, they're all busted.

Once somebody posts a "secret" it isn't a secret anymore.

That means you can't trust these methods, and if you're already using one because you invented it, you might want to consider making a change.

Ye olde key in a rock doesn't work anymore, especially when it's the only plastic rock in the front shrubbery. Neither do a lot of other over-advertised gags like fake wall plugs and soupless soup cans.

I have some little gags I cooked up but they'd be worthless if I told anyone about them.

So I can't tell anyone that I used to store my machine guns under the local police chief's driveway.

Not that I ever did.

I mean, I never even met the guy. Face-to-face, anyway.

Honest.

2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I always hide a front gate key under a rock, problem is, that key doesn't fit that lock.

But I get a good solid picture from the camera of anyone trying to get in!

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Depends on the "caliber" of the thief. Kids or local thugs may well not know these, and would overlook them. An experienced professional will know them all.

4. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

This is genius.

5. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Just because a person is subtle doesn't mean they're not diabolical at heart.

Gator 45/70, HK_User, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I find the best build is a secret room .second best is not showing stuff off.

Gator 45/70 and Seepalaces like this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Keep your shit locked up and out of site.
    Most thieves are opportunistic.
    If some one had to work to break in, well you probably know them.
    If some one cleans me out the BATFE is getting involved.

8. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I got a lesson in hiding things one day while training a rookie, My partner put a SW 45 long colt on the dash of the car on a make beleive traiffic stop the kid never saw it nad took me forever to find what I knew was hidden but was sitting in plane sight

9. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Yeah, it's like the hidden shelf idea. Great! Now all someone has to do, is look for a shelf that's 3" thick.... :rolleyes:

Was thinking that, with a bit of work to beef it up, a smaller electrical panel or switch/fuse box might work, for smaller items. Just make it look abandoned, as if the electrical system was upgraded, and no one wanted to pull it off, or out of the wall.

Darn! Guess I can't use that one now, can I?? ;)

10. I don't know where I saw this (I ain't smart enuf to think of it) but someone stripped out a dead water heater, added some faked in plumbing, and put a lazy-susan inside for a cache. I would just hope an intruder wouldn't get to wondering why the owner had two water heaters.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

That would depend on how the second Water Heater was Plumbed in....

12. I'd just fake it with old galvanized pipe far enough to be believable.

13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Homes have tons of dead air spaces , it's a matter of taking the time to learn these and some imagination in implementing them.
    If I lived in an apartment I might choose a wall that is obvious and got enough space that putting false wall in front of it is feasible .
    1.likely a load bearing wall so that if storing water or canned food the weight is well supported. An over size closet works well .
    2. the wall can be made panels that blend together and only you know how to break it down to get inside . It might shrink the room by a foot or so but only you should be able to discern the difference .
    3. Do not show off your handy work.
    Im not a very good carpenter and even my brother could not find what I had done .

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7