Some thoughts about defending your retreat

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Grand58742, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Downunder

Downunder Monkey++

I'm starting to put gabions around the cabin at my retreat. Plenty of rock available on site, so I usually invite a group of female friends, hand out the gloves and wine, and set them to collecting rock and filling the gabions. They love it.

[​IMG]

2. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Continuous rock like that around the footings might work well as a french drain if you have a low spot you can run a drain to.

mechstdr, Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  3. reconprepper

reconprepper Monkey

I’ve asked some questions, but the overall point is the fact no location (save our imaginary island in the middle of the ocean) is completely out of the way and can be discovered despite our best efforts. So the myth of a particular location being safer than others is not necessarily true.

Do you really believe this or did you misspeak? You honestly believe one location cant be safer than another? Thats what your last sentence says there. Just because someone can find your location doesnt make it less safe. Many wars have been fought over the years where one party knew where the other party was and yet still lost because the place the second party was at was safe. Think castles, caves, entire countries, etc. Just because you know where someone is doesnt make them less safe.

mechstdr and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

A neighbor says his brother and a group of neighbors blocked their neighborhood off when Antifa was out/about. Used their trucks as road blocks and if you couldn't prove you lived in the neighborhood, you didn't get in. Everyone was visibly armed and they had no issues. Other neighborhoods didn't do that and had trouble.

Where I live is near a major metropolitan area. The thugs there did $1B dollars of damage last summer when George Floyd was killed. Unfortunately, some of those same citizens occasionally show up in my small town, to rob the stores and gas stations that have easy freeway access. One young thug carjacked a car at 9am on a Monday at a local hardware store. Unfortunately, the highway patrol lost the guy as it was snowing at the time.

5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Even in wine country, our mailboxes (central pod) get routinely robed destroyed, or yanked out of the ground concrete pad and all.
    Nowhere is immune?
    I have to be vigilant here, from time to time we get people snooping through the yard late at night even the odor of cigarette smoke comes through an open window. motion sensor lights and cameras don't seem to bother these people.

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I like the Big Dog, on a property line chain, routine for night visitors...

mechstdr, madmax and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

We had a pretty good snow in Texas a while back. The few prowlers about left nice little trails to and from their houses.
    Now I know who the main trouble makers are, and one was a big surprise to me. He tried to enter the old ladies house next door, and then tried to get into one of my trucks then went straight home. I am glad they were so stupid about it.

Learned a lot of good Info on this thread.

mechstdr, GOG, mysterymet and 2 others like this.
  8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Cameras and automatic flood lights can sometimes make them just walk away....

mechstdr, mysterymet and chelloveck like this.
  9. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

the Midnite Raiders are having a shit fit about all the Ring cameras popping up in those $$$ lucrative subdivisions >> if you can find a home without one - the other nearby homes have one and there's video up the ying yang ...

lights do help - twilight to dawn and motion detecting - mix them up - cover the whole fricking property >> dark is THEIR friend

10. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

I have Ring and other cams around the house, but no motion lights, mine are manual. The deer would keep them on most of the night.

jim

11. percival

percival Monkey

As my uncle says, "A gun for every direction". He also fortified his home with well placed boulders. The reality is if you guard something, someone will eventually come and try to take it. Let's just hope it's only your kids.

12. Colleen Cox

Colleen Cox Monkey

While it is true that taking precautions to protect your personal data and online accounts is important, it is also important to note that taking extreme measures, such as fortifying your home with boulders or carrying a gun in every direction, may not always be practical or necessary.

It is possible to take reasonable and effective steps to safeguard your online presence without resorting to extreme measures. For example, as I mentioned earlier, using strong and unique passwords, enabling two-factor authentication, and being cautious of suspicious messages or links can go a long way in preventing unauthorized access to your accounts.

Additionally, keeping your software and apps up-to-date with the latest security patches can help address any known vulnerabilities that could be exploited by hackers or malicious actors. Practicing good digital hygiene, such as avoiding public Wi-Fi networks and regularly reviewing your account activity and permissions, can also help mitigate the risk of online attacks.

Ultimately, the key is to strike a balance between protecting your personal data and online accounts while also maintaining a reasonable level of convenience and accessibility.

mechstdr, Dunerunner and chelloveck like this.
  13. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

Sgt E5 or higher in combat arms, preferably recon, infantry, cav, or spec ops if available. Combat experience would be nice.
    Lotsa phonies out there so beware.
    Jim

BTPost likes this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. oldman11
  3. Ganado
  4. Big Ron
  5. deMolay
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid