Something for the hikers among us

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by CATO, Feb 1, 2012.

1. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

It gives my baby inverter enough juice to run,and charge my little Acer1 laptop.(I tried it Bruce)
    Matt

2. munchy

munchy Monkey+++

It could be handy to charge the tikka headlamp when backpacking. But just a little on the heavy side for me. But long term who knows

3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

here is a TEG unit that works with a wood burning stove..... probably better suited for someone in bruces neighborhood.....

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The classic example of TEG Power, is those Stove Top EcoFans.... Bottom Extrusion brings Heat up from the Stove Top. The Peltier Junction is between the two Extrusions. The top extrusion is a Heat Sin that is cooled by the surrounding Air. the Peltier Junction Pile works off the difference in temperature between the Bottom and Top Extrusions, and powers the electrical Fan Motor. Hotter the Stove top, the faster the Fan turns, and the more Air it moves.

5. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I have one of these still in the box. When I get the time, I will post a review.

6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I was hoping you would get around to that eventually. Hey, I need a clear answer --all you paid was $129.00 plus shipping, right? The language on the site seems unclear, I read it as $129.00 fee for holding the stove and then you pay the rest once ready to ship.

Anyway, let us know how well it works!

(I am fond of my Kelly Kettle and have no desire to recharge things in the woods, but that's besides the point. Some folks might like this.)

7. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I think it's just $129. That's all I paid and that's what the website says now.

8. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Here's another option--essentially, if you're heating the pot, you can get up to 5w power from it:

The PowerPot

IMO, I think the pot is too big for hiking. It might work for camping, however, I just have to wonder how many cords were melted during development.

BTPost likes this.
  9. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

I'd like to get a bio lite stove. I've tried one of the folding wood burners a while back and it wasn't all that good. What make the bio lite worth looking into is the fan. That fan could heep the fire going fairly hot and if you can keep it fed it should prove itself in short order.

One of these days I've got to take out all my camping and backpacking stoves and run a comparison test to see which will boil a liter of water the fastest.

The Power Pot looks like a "Me too!" product, the issue with the PP is you still need to carry a stove and fuel. Put it on a campfire and you'll melt the insulation on the wires. NO!!

10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

You can cover the wires with a Heat, and Flame Proof ShrinkTube Shield.....

11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Gentlemen, here is a much better article. The wires are already fireproof, there is a 5wt, 10wt, and a 15wt in development now. I an considering the 1gal. 15wt on a wood burning stove, fed by a float valve and a cistern. The biggest problem with these is weight, they are a little heavy.PowerPot uses cooking heat to power campers' devices

12. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I have a bunch of stoves and these two get the most use:
    • The Esbit Ultralight. I have one of these in every car and in every bag.
    • The Vargo Ti Hex stove. You don't have to worry about fuel (although I usually have a few trioxane tabs with me anyway.

Both boil water fairly quickly and and are small, light, and sturdy.

NotSoSneaky likes this.
  13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I just saw the Biolite at the Expo. It was shiny and colorful. It had all the cool attachments. This thread was started in 2012, I am unsure if things have changed but starter pads were not part of the display at the expo. The pitch was use of sticks, leaves and easy to use with the ability to turn the heat into energy.

Here is a chart that compares the Biolite to other camp stoves.

6a01156f7533eb970c017d3c337b31970c-500wi.

Like I said the stove was cool looking with different attachments. @stg58 bought the stove and some of the attachments and I am hoping he will chime in to let us know how well they held up.

gril.
    My thoughts on the grill (extra purchase attachment) was that it looked like there would be bending issues plus due to the size it would take up lots of room in ones pack. IMO this unit would be too cumbersome for a bugout bag. I really think if one is concerned about space and weight the kelly kettle would be better- see here
    Kelly Kettle | Survival Forums

Other monkey threads on this stove.
    BioLite Camp Stove | Survival Forums
    BioLite stove | Survival Forums
    BioLite Stove and Pocket filter review-Christmas in February | Survival Forums

Witch Doctor 01 and Ganado like this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. DKR
  3. DKR
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Motomom34
  7. marlas1too
  8. phorisc
  9. HK_User
  10. madmax
  11. Brokor