Speaking of Y2K, what have we learned?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by dragonfly, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Dogfood

Dogfood Monkey+++

I was in a part of the world that a PC not knowing what the date was did not seem like a big deal. I think most of the people there did not even know.

I thought the whole thing was kind of funny. I have one family member that was sure it was the end. So just after midnight his brother pulled the disconnect on the elec. panel outside his house just to mess with him.

I hope people learned to always be ready for things to go bad. They may one day, but u can go way overboard with it.

2. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

If you knew COBOL you could make good money....

3. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

Something I found bad about it is how alot of people have no idea on what to stock. We get alot of rough stroms and power get knocked out so when people see one comeing they run and buy eggs, milk and bread. Ive ask several I can understand the bread and possibelly the milk but do they have away to cook the eggs and they look confused then say no. Or they willl run out and buy meat and nothing else they don't understand if SHTF no power meat spoils.

bountyhunter likes this.
  4. Dogfood

Dogfood Monkey+++

Alpha Dog I know what you mean. I live in mid Alabama and if it's going to snow people run out and buy out the store. For one you are not going to get snowed in here even if the roads get iced over it will only last one day and every one should have food to cover that.

The mind of the masses will make you wonder how man made it to this day.

tulianr likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

No wonder at all.... Folks today have WAY to much FREE time on their hands, and have been taught that video games and esoteric things like Philosophy are smart things to do, with all that Free Time, instead of working your A** Off, and investing the proceeds, in your OWN Future. that is what a GOOD Prep'er is doing.... ..... YMMV... but not likely.....

6. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I was still on the SWAT team for y2k. Drove around for 5 hours running into another cop every other block. Couldn't find a thing to do everyone was hiding at home. At least I got OT out of the deal. Funny what can be turned into a crisis.

7. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

An old SEAL once said, "Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance"! His "Seven P's" for success. Held true for Y2K, still holds true today!

Sapper John and BTPost like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7