Spring time and my BOB

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Sharpie44, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Sharpie44

Sharpie44 Monkey++

Well it’s spring time and I finally have some spare cash to throw around (Not a lot though.) I’ve put my half completed BOB aside for a while but now I’m going to finish it off right.
    I have a small alice pack with two MRE’s (unpacked and put in a zip lock) along with a block of 2 3000 calorie survival bars. The pack is stuffed with the normal essentials (Fire starters, extra clothing, 2q canteen, purification tablets… ext.)

What I don’t have is any shelter or sleeping essentials. All I have right now is a large rain poncho that could be made into a tent and one of those emergency blankets that come in first aid kits.
    I’m planning a camping trip with some friends soon and I would like a tent and sleeping bag that is small and light weight. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

My BOB includes a light-weight (2.5 lb) "Bivy Tent" as sold by The Sportsman's Guide. I have both the solid green and camo versions. I have used them on several camping trips, and they work well. Light to moderate rain is no problem, and set-up/take-down are quick & easy.
    I generally carry a twin-size blanket rolled compactly, unless camping in cold winter weather. I find 'mummybags' too confining.
    With my 52-year old quirky back, an inflatable sleeping pad is great too.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7