1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Spring time and my BOB

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Sharpie44, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Sharpie44

Sharpie44 Monkey++

Well it’s spring time and I finally have some spare cash to throw around (Not a lot though.) I’ve put my half completed BOB aside for a while but now I’m going to finish it off right.
    I have a small alice pack with two MRE’s (unpacked and put in a zip lock) along with a block of 2 3000 calorie survival bars. The pack is stuffed with the normal essentials (Fire starters, extra clothing, 2q canteen, purification tablets… ext.)

What I don’t have is any shelter or sleeping essentials. All I have right now is a large rain poncho that could be made into a tent and one of those emergency blankets that come in first aid kits.
    I’m planning a camping trip with some friends soon and I would like a tent and sleeping bag that is small and light weight. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Adventure Riding Monkey Founding Member

My BOB includes a light-weight (2.5 lb) "Bivy Tent" as sold by The Sportsman's Guide. I have both the solid green and camo versions. I have used them on several camping trips, and they work well. Light to moderate rain is no problem, and set-up/take-down are quick & easy.
    I generally carry a twin-size blanket rolled compactly, unless camping in cold winter weather. I find 'mummybags' too confining.
    With my 52-year old quirky back, an inflatable sleeping pad is great too.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary