Stock up on Peanut Butter!

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Avarice, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Avarice

Avarice California Health Junkie

2. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

3. gunbartender

gunbartender Monkey+++

Stocked up today.

4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Yep,time for a store run. Publix has the Natural type I like. Can't stomach the Jif/Peter Pan junk. Same price, so a 'no brainer'.......

5. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

How long does PB last if you keep the lid sealed? Past the expiration date that is.

6. beast

beast backwoodsman

PB is so simple to make it isnt funny
    first you roast then crush peanuts
    squeeze out the oil
    you can also squeeze sunflower seeds for it
    when you get enuff oil, grind more peanuts and mix
    together
    Peanutbutter!

7. Seawolf1090

Natural, a year easily. No need to refrigerate.

JIF and PP - indefinitely. It isn't a food product. [aiw]

8. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Seawolf1090, I don't know where you got your PB, but mine want bad pretty quick. By 'bad' I mean rancid after about a year in unopened/sealed container. The organic stuff was horrible beyond words when I got it! I had coons coming up on the porch to rummage through the garbage and put the organic stuff out, and they took one bite and left it alone! Seriously! Now I don't bother with it if it is much over a year old in my storage bin, just feed it to the critters.

9. Willie51

Willie51 Monkey+

Made a Wallymart run today. It's already gone up in some places in Atlanta according to my brother. I just bought 10 ea., 28 oz. jars for $2.64 each.

10. Seawolf1090

I still have a small bowl of JIF set out - been out for four years now..... no mold, no flies, no critters will touch it. It sits there like peanut-scented plumber's putty! I think it's the Canola Oil.......

I use "Smart Balance - creamy". Keeps very well on my kitchen shelf. Putting PB in the fridge makes it too stiff to spread.

11. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I'm the only one who eats peanut butter(mom prefers almond butter) once in a while, and we've got a few jars. Of course in a few years when our nut trees mature and start putting out, we'll be good to go.

12. Seawolf1090

I looked at the Almond Butter, but YOWZA! I'd have to mortgage the homestead to be eating that stuff, as much as I'm sure I'd love it. Salted roasted almonds are a favorite snack!

13. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Make your own almond butter, at a fraction of the cost. Just sub roasted salted for the fresh roasted nut taste. Good step by step:
    How To Make Homemade Almond Butter

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7