Storage idea help

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Dusty308, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Dusty308

Dusty308 Living between the lines

I live on about an acre of land outside a major city here in NC. Small home on a slab, so we have attic space but cold in winter and hot in summer. We have a wood building out back, again hot in summer and cold in the winter. I'm starting to accumulate lotsa preps and I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to store this stuff due to the weather and the options I have for keeping it safe.
    Any thoughts?
    [dunno]

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Tough one. When I was in E TN, I had a crawl space to keep my stuff cool and dark. Could you dig a root cellar somewhere on the property and cover it with a small shed?

I'm a big believer in not storing all your eggs in one basket - maybe you could find a mini-storage close to home? Maybe even a climate controlled one?

The slab is the problem. You may have to get creative inside the house.

TN summer was so humid and hot that my leather jackets would grow mold on them...

3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

It depends on Money and ability. I just saw a 12 X 20 freestanding wood frame storage building, 2 year old, $5000 new, in excellent shape, now $1500. Wired for receptacles and lights. I could take something like that, drop the ceiling 1 foot and fill that space with insulation. Build out the walls inside 5 to 8 inches and insulate all that. eliminate the window and insulate. Redo the door, thicken and insulate and seal. 4 inches of rigid insulation on floor then covered with 3/4 plywood. install fixed shelves 2 foot deep floor to ceiling on two side walls and back wall. 8 or 10 Shelves on lockable caster wheels, 1.5 foot X 4 foot and 6 foot tall, open on one side only. Outside heat or cold, no matter, you should have an acceptable moderate temp for storage in a setup like this. Nothing comes without cost or inconvienence of some sort. jmho

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

check the local codes. Some areas allow pole barns without permits. What you do inside after it's weathered in isn't too important, and the dehumidifier doesn't care which wall it's in.

5. Dusty308

Dusty308 Living between the lines

Thanks for the input. Something will work out.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7