Stored water questions, aeration and bleach?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Ajax, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

I have a medium size Berky and other than a filter recall really like the system.

When they put murky dirty water in do you have to clean out the top chamber after every use? I would imagine the gunk would build up pretty quick.

2. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Mixing air into water (Aeration) is to allow the mineral and gases in well water to oxidize out. I use this on my well water for hydrogen sulfide. I does nothing to kill any parasites or germs in the water. ​

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

4. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Survival UV Water Filter Off The Grid Model 512E 12 Volt DC Battery Powered | eBay

I bought one of these about two months ago. I rigged it with a 12 vdc sprayer pump from Tractor Supply and a deep discharge battery. Interestingly used it just this past week when our county water issued a boil order. Had ample water. Now I need to modify the house plumbing so I can easily just insert this in the incoming water line. Still working out the details for a pressure switch, delay circuit, so I don't need to leave it on all the time draining my battery. This gives me the ability to easily purify water for lots of people and neighbors. Creates barter potential but more importantly good will with others.

AT

5. alaskachick

alaskachick A normally quiet snow monkey

Sorry to be slow in a reply. When the filtration rate slowed down, we cleaned it. I think about every 2 weeks. We were putting some pretty nasty looking things in there. Pouring the water through a cloth helped take the big chunks out. :)

6. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

That's good to know. I'm planning on getting some low level pre-filters to get the water as clean as I can in case of an emergency and all I have is dirty river water.

I like the idea of a UV filter, I may also use that for cleaning water for a Neti pot.

7. kellory

8. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

That's really neat. That could be a useful survival tool if you have a way to recharge it.

9. kellory

I have a hand crank radio/light/phone charger with a USB jack built in. If the SHTF, I will be able to recharge it, even if the power is gone.

1. Navyair
  2. Ganado
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. oil pan 4
  12. Bandit99