"Strike Anywhere matches"....?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by dragonfly, Feb 19, 2011.

Tags:
  1. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

When I applied for a passport in 2003, I didn't have my hospital birth certificate, only the state issued(California) one, and I was told it might not be acceptable because there was a problem with fradulent CA birth certificates(I'm sure that has NOTHING to do with the illegal aliens issue though). And I remember thinking WTF?! If government paperwork is not 'legitimate' what are you supposed to do? Because that's all you have 'officially' in writing to prove you're you.
    <br><br>
    And back to original topic, I've noticed other things disappearing from the store shelves. Cotton gauze pads, and cotton tipped Qtips with paper sticks not plastic, for example.

2. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

I bought some, but they won't strike. I'll go with a firesteel, Magnesium bar, or BIC / refillable lighters, or magnifying glass.

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I keep a good supply of Bic lighters too.

Here in sunny Florida, the SSN is a student's ID number for school, though IF he/she does not have one, the school will assign a 'School ID Number'.
    Theoretically, one CAN get by without an SSN, but the FedGov has made it a very huge hassle.

4. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Works for me and.... it could work for all of us. Consequences.... we're long overdue creating new ones and consistently applying the handful we already have in place. Consequences are highly effective deterrents.

5. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Many will disagree, so be it. I have no problem with SSN being linked with my Drivers License, and a Police Officer being able to punch in my number and come up with my picture, and check wants and warrants. I am not hiding. A SSN should be valid and not used by 15 illegals. If the government were doing their job, when a SSN is noted as being used by two or more persons at the same time they should investigate and take action against the fraudulent user immediately. Illegals need to be pursued vigorously and deported! If it not be the SSN being used as a ID card, and the American People not being willing to accept a National ID card, then I have no problem with drivers licenses being nationally linked under the Real ID Act. jmho
    I am sick and tired of this country being torn down by corrupt politicians, crooked cops and judges, juiced up athletes, drunk and drugged celebrities with a whole separate set of rules for them, welfare slugs, and illegal aliens![beat]

6. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

That would get everybody over 60 in Tennessee.....since at 60, you no longer have to have your photo on your DL.

7. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Strike Anywhere Matches have been unobtainable out here for years but recently I found a place in another state that keeps them, have several 300 boxes of them put away.

8. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I buy an off brand at BiMart that have a large tip and flare very hot when struck Light like the Diamond matches used to

9. Bobb

Bobb On Hiatus Banned

i never understood the big deal about those matches.like, i have a matchbox, but my striking paper is not working? one bic lighter is worth 1000 matches.i don't have matches and i don't store matches. i store dozen refillable butane lighters and dozen canisters of butane. and firesteels.

1. DKR
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Bishop
  4. Bishop
    Fire starting and cordage material: [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, May 31, 2016, 1 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  5. tacmotusn
  6. Pathfinder
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Pathfinder, Dec 28, 2015, 6 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  7. chelloveck
  8. snowbyrd