Survivability while on vacation in Florida

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Feb 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I only know a couple of climates. I could survive in the desert and forests in the SW and NW. But Florida and the swampland area's just string me up and call me mosquito bait. The damn critters love me... it's cuz I'm so sweet :ROFLMAO:

I would also have trouble in extreme cold. That is a whole different set of survival skills.

I got home the day before 911 happened but some of the people I worked with were still in other states. It was a night mare trying to get them home. or even get hotels. I can't imagine what would have happened if it had been permanent shut down. Even if you were stuck in a hotel... what would you do? When I travel I have some basics but you can't prepare for everything and you can't carry alot if something really does happen. it's a great topic for surviving in place.

mysterymet, Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

For most people, if not all, being several hundred miles from home would be a death sentence. I was looking at a map recently and planning a road trip out West. I got to thinking about what I would need in order to even survive and try to make it back home.

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I think I would have died there also. Between the muggy heat, the gators and bugs it would have been a chore to walk to the state line. I don't even know much about the water down South. There is water everywhere but much of it is stagnant. Water filtration knowledge would be vital if one was deserted in Florida.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

How far could you cover in a day,after looking for food,water? You would also need to by past the large towns and keep away from crowds. Some days you might not cover a mile or two while looking for food. You would probably be better staying were you are.

3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Something came to mind reading through this conversation..
    The fact that if here had been an EMP or CME or some relevant catastrophic event driving people to warmer climates , the millions of other people doing the same thing would create an unprecedented wave of human kind crowding in like survivors off the titanic, overwhelming a life boat .
    Not having sufficient food for the masses, and those that know what is eatable consuming it even before it is matured would be the norm . Venezuela and other countries like Gnana west Africa there is no discipline for food production and preservation .
    Most other third world countries rely on the US for food and economic support , if we go down they go down hard . I just read North Korea I now begging for food .
    If we go down no matter how it happens , like blood in the water ,other countries will try and take what's left ,what's abandoned ,what is too weak to resist .
    I have said this before and I'll say it again , If there is a place you might end up ,start growing food there. plant seeds for trees and berry bushes and other eatables in hidden places you know if , even if the local animals eat it, you eat the local animals .
    But assuming you can simply run some where with out making preparations is not going to pay off in the long run.

3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

Not sure about the migration post EMP or CME. From what I know of people, and how metro areas are structured, I think the vast majority of people will just die in place. The meanest or nastiest will survive for a while, possibly a long while: the roads will become impassible very quickly, and any survivors of that will be on foot. I figure the horde make 50 miles max before violence, dehydration or disease kills them off.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Considering how it is now illegal to turn off peoples power during the summer and winter down here, have a strong suspicion we will go back to being the least populated states instead of the most. It is LITERALLY A/C that makes the South liveable to most people.

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    When traveling, I carry some minimal gear. These all fit my carry on. The Nalgene has a GSI cup on the bottom. Never had an issue wit the TSA weenies. This, in addition to my fly away ham station. are designed to make any disaster situation a bit more comfortable.

IOW - beats empty pockets....

9. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I'm in Alabama and I've made plans for that. Down here cooling is almost as important as heating.

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@DKR what is a 'fly away ham station" just label me clueless :)

Zimmy, Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Sorry - I've posted photos of this in the past.

The hand held in this last set of pics is an ICOM-IC Q-7A RX 25 Mhz to 1.3 Ghz and transmits on 2M and 70 cm (440)

The HF part
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    is a 5+ watt HF set that covers all of the 80, 40, 30 and 20 meter ham bands plus some SW frequencies above/below the ham band as well.
    Rx current draw - 35mA, Operating voltage is 8 VDC to 14 (and a bit) VDc. The antenna is cut for the middle of each ham band. Normally runs from a 8X AA battery pack or a car cig lighter cable.

I've regularly chatted with folks in OZ, NZ, and Japan and the occasional EU ham - mostly Asiatic Russians.
    I can hear quite a few SW broadcast stations, tho the rig is optimized for CW.

Now, I carry a KX-2, much broader coverage. internal ant tuner and better filtering.. The 9200 still wins hands-down for low current draw.

In my MEDIA folder, you can see my bicycle mobile,. solar powered, HF station

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Best to get to the RR tracks and walk to Bishops place or Tacs

13. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Florida is no worse than any other state, survivalwise, and better than some. I'd hate to be stuck in Alaska or Aridzona in the wilds. Florida is positively civilized in comparison. You can find people within a day's walk most anywhere in the state.

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Monkeys' favorite is staycation at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. I will survive. Wallet may take a hit though.

oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Or a jonboat and head for Gators place. He does crawfish boils.(keep your hands inside the boat goin there tho)

Motomom34, Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

The problem with a place outside of your AO is that the danger are unknown.

Example: My Aunt and I were going for a walk in a place that had gators. As we were leaving for our walk someone said gators run as fast as a horse. I know horses and have seen them run. As we were walking a lady said that there was a baby gator living in the ditch where the gators lived. My Aunt and I discussed how a Mama Bear is with their young. Not sure if gators were the same, we decided not to walk past the gator area in case the little one was near. Did not feel like trying to out run a mad Mama Gator

Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

They usually won't follow you as far, but yeah, they fast, and if you don;t hit them RIGHT, they pretty hard to kill. And territorial around kids. Smart move.

Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Between the bugs to eat armadillo turtles snakes Gators fish minnows birds sable palms saw palmetto wild musterd wild oinion theres a lot to eat waters is pretty easy to get also when the birds and bugs shut up that means there is a predator out.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

All you need is a staff to deflect one,Your good!

20. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I'd rather have gators than bears or cougars. Those big lizards are more predictable.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. OlDiceGames
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Prepsteader13
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Alanaana
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Coyote Ridge