Survival Belts Everyone needs 3 or more

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Quigley_Sharps, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  2. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Handy!

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I don't get it......... [dunno]

Once you destroy the belt to use the cordage, what keeps your pants from falling around your ankles.....? :lol:

They don't have my size anyways.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The last 40 inches ---
    :D

5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Germ Grenade - WTF???

While looking at the cordage belts in the web-page linked by the OP....I noticed a tab in a sidebar called "Germ Grenade" and I thought...WTF....is some crazy selling biological warfare devices???

My rather fertile imagination had me wondering whether it was some kind of exploding snot-ball kind of device...or was it some kind of gastro-intestinal puke bomb???

I was somewhat relieved when I saw what they where selling when the page opened and I saw the graphics. I swear...i was THAT close to putting on my made in Taiwan tin-foil surgical mask : O [gone]

https://www.survivalstraps.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=Grenade

6. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

Nice looking belts...I just might make one...or two...

7. Seawolf1090

Kinda like cutting your boots up make pouches from the leather........

I will stay with my regular cordage...... do not have to destroy critical items to use it...... :D

8. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

If you didnt need a belt, then this would be a great way to carry a just in case helper.

9. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Just my $0.02

If you know how to weave and tie the cordage, it is FAR, FAR cheaper to make your own. I carry, at minimum, 54 feet of cordage on my person at all times, in the form of a fully cored Solomon bar key chain. The Mil-spec paracord is rather inexpensive, in the grand scheme of things. The extra chachkis (belt buckles etc) are very inexpensive. There are tons of how-to vids on YouTube for tying the double Solomon Bar (that is what that fusion knot is known as), which is the basis for the survival belt. I have two reels of 1000' of 7 strand mil spec I bought just two weeks ago for just under $75.00 total price (including shipping).

I make and sell key chains (the one I am proud of I call the FC - stands for flexible club, it is 6 inch double Solomon bar made from approximately 8 foot of fully cored paracord. Add a nice bundle of keys and swing batter batter. Your assailant gets a face full of keys, swung with all your might. Rather handy for self defense, and the ladies are particularly fond of this item. The key chain is LEGAL in all of the states [and overseas] and will pass airline security without a second glance).

If you unravel and decore the paracord from your keys, you are minus a keychain, whoop-de-do. However, you now have 8 cords 8' long (54 feet of cordage) with a breaking strength of 330 pounds. With all the cores intact, the cord is rated for 550 pounds.

Also I wrapped my B.O.B. pack frame members with an unbroken 150' of cordage, which weighs next to nothing and is excellent tie-down cordage for an expedient shelter, fishing line, ad infinitum, ad nauseum. I also wrapped my machete sheath, and made a tie down with an additional 150 feet of cordage.

So, if TSHTF, and I end up on foot with my "vehicle bag", I am carrying at least 300' of cordage alone, for a negligible storage profile, and negligent weight.

The dinky items like the germ grenade or the tiny neck cords that you may buy from Survival straps (for a premium), do not have a significant amount of cordage and are basically useless (other than the 'cool factor', which if TSHTF, who gives a rats rear how cool you look?).

Be wary buying key chains or ANY cordage made items from ANYONE who does not come out and tell you that the cordage is fully cored! The advantage to paracord is the multiple inner cords. Oh, and the clips for the "survival bracelets" are about 50 cents a pop. The cordage length varies on the wrist diameter. It is cheaper and more effective making your own.

Caveat Emptor (buyer beware).

10. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

300' spools of PC are like $15...the buckles can't be more than a few. Definitely more cost effective to learn to make your own. And as Falcon mentioned there are plenty of video tutorials around YouTube that show how to achieve that look.

Byte

11. Seawolf1090

How about paracord backpack straps and rifle slings..... there's the ticket! :D

12. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

I don't trust plastic buckles...I use metal U buckles with screw-in pins...plus pins have lanyard hole, so you can't loose them...

13. Falcon15

Yes, even going with the metal D-Rings, you get off uber-cheap compared to buying from someone else. Also, I find knotting and tying to be rather relaxing. It keeps the hands busy and lets your mind wander. Kind of like constructive meditation. Besides, knowing how to tie the proper knot for the job comes in handy. Ask any sailor, farmer, truck driver, handyman etc.

14. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

AMEN!

15. enough

enough Monkey++

my 2 cents ...

Paracord projects

... (k)not my site, but something I've read. Its fun to tie knots. Don't forget to learn how to tie nets too. :)

16. Falcon15

Double Solomon Bar is the bomb for BP straps/rifle sling. However, should the cordage ever be needed, you have no way to carry your rifle/backpack. You could knot around the straps using the rifle strap/backpack strap as a "core" to your running knot. That would allow for 1. a cool look, 2. use-able cordage without losing the strap. Time to strap on ye olde thinking cappe.

17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The problem I see with pack straps and rifle slings is the elasticity of 550 cord. It's going to move around as you add or take off weight, and is apt to bounce while walking. Spec says minimum 30% stretch for single strand pulls. Add the twists and turns in decorative cordage and that's well out the window. Tell me I'm wrong, but that's the only thing that keeps me from laying a 1000 foot spool into storage.

18. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Keep in mind ..550 cord stretches ... so your belt may not hold up your pants...

19. Seawolf1090

Hehehe..... I was actually kidding about the pack straps and rifle sling..... [slow]

Though I have actually SEEN a paracord rifle sling.

20. Falcon15

If you use my idea and wrap a sling or pack strap, the stretch becomes a non-issue. The load bearing is still taken by the strap/sling not the cordage. Besides, milspec paracord has a minimum elongation of 30% (so a chutist does not break his back when the shroud bites air for the first time and his harness gets yoinked). Take that into account from the beginning, and you are one ahead.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7