Survival chain saw

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by oil pan 4, Aug 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

....yep....same here.

2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I blow the big chunks off with the air then after taking off the blade and chain everything goes into the solvent tank for a scrub and rinse. Blow everything off again and inspect.

3. Andy the Aussie

All this talk of saws and I am now eyeing off a Stihl 038 Magnum with two bars, eight chains and a sharpening kit (files and guides). On the big auction site but pick up only, small town up in the bush. Problematic for many but happens to be the town I grew up in and where my best friend still lives :) I made an offer below the Buy It Now so we shall see.

Tully Mars likes this.
  4. Andy the Aussie

Yep and it looks like I own said 038. Mate has to collect it for me over the weekend. Not sure when I will see him to take possession but that’s OK. His father (bit like a dad to me as well) is mostly retired but for a number of years has run a tool/knife sharpening business from home. He was a butcher by trade. He does chisels, planes and chainsaw chains, so apparently it will arrive with eight newly sharpened chains as well.

Tully Mars likes this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I priced the full chisel 3/8 chain, only $225.

6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

My new echo 4.7hp 60cc CS620 has a deficiency.
    The air filter allows dirt to get by.
    With the new generation of saws they went with higher flowing but cheaper looking air filter design. I thought maybe I was missing a little foam gasket or something but as far as I can tell it doesn't have anything like that. I found sawdust around the choke.
    I have some DAP calking I am going to put around the air filter to air filter housing.
    I expected the new saws to be like the old ones, nope.

7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

It is not that difficult to make your own filter,
    foam screen and pliers .
    you have the original as a template just go one better.

8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

It's kind of a weird filter design.
    I'm just going to glue the filter down on its seat like I do with all my air compressors.
    The old echos like my 440 use a normal paper and high density rubber foam setup like most air compreasors, most good chain saws and what you might find on a car air filter.
    20171026_135532.

20171026_135555.

Or instead of caulk or silicone I could cut up pack some foam air filter from a lawn mower around the gap.

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

It looked like it has a basic EEPS cyclone dirt separator.
    I'm going to cut up an old Briggs and Stratton foam filter to make a little gasket at least so the big chunks can't get into the carb.

11. Andy the Aussie

Finally picked up the 038 Mag....but damn that thing is an animal !

12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

My time spent sharpening versus cutting is about a 1:1 ratio on the 60cc saw and it's Oregon brand chain.
    The dirt is absorbed into the bark on the green trees and the dirt will also work it's way into the wood on the dead dried out trees with no bark.
    The dried out trees with no bark and exposed cracks are the worse.

13. Years ago some friends and I were talking about a similar subject. The question was how to get fire wood and building materials in a SHTF scenario. Everyone either said chainsaw or axe. But, how sustainable is a chainsaw and how many can cut firewood from a log with an axe. Later that year I ended up buying a new 5ft two person crosscut saw, hammer vises and sharpening kit. They even threw in a manual for sharpening. I have used several chainsaws over the years but, I think SHTF items that are reliant on fuel are a no-go for me. I used it several times in cunjuction with a timber jack. I tacks a little getting used to but is fast than most would believe, makes little noise, and only has to be oiled to prevent rust. Bought it from The Crosscut Saw Company for right at a hundred bucks.

14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

My question is, Do you have the skillset to maintain that crosscut saw, in operational condition? Are you able to adjust the “Set” of the teeth, and sharpen the teeth on the saw? There are few, left around, who have that skillset, and many more who have never heard of those requirements, for maintainance of such saws... My 30Year old Stihl chainsaw will still be running long after I am Dead, and Gone... I have enough spares, chains, and chain rebuild tools, to deal with every eventuality, including lack of Gasoline. I built up an Alcohol rated Carb, and I have a 55USG Drum of 2 Cycle Oil over in the Oil Shed.. When one lives this far out, prepping is more than a hobby, it is a way of Life...

TnAndy and oldman11 like this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have an electric saw that works pretty good. Makes about as much noise as a vacuum cleaner, not nearly as loud as a gas saw.
    It has a plastic ring gear that breaks kind of easy. I just have to go slow with it on dryed out hardwood, which is mostly elm around here and try to always keep at least 2 spare plastic ring gears on hand.

oldman11 likes this.
  16. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

We have 5 electric saws here. 5 gas , stihl electric chainsaw
    MSE 250 C-Q - New powerful electric chain saw
    is the largest , and then down to a 14" Remington ..
    I do like the electric when Im limbing , Im not on spurs , im in a man Lift Genie ..
    Quiet , quick , and starts on demand ..
    Sloth

17. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

My grandfather filed saws for a living,so did one of my uncles. I can remember as a young kid watching him. On fridays and saturdays he would have maybe 10 people waiting on him for their saws. The first chain saws that came out put him out of business

By the way I have two gas and one electric chain saws,I can cut a pretty good size load with my electric saw. My next project will be to rebuild my wood house to keep more than two years worth.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  18. You sure do get defensive about saws. Yes, though I can maintain the saw in the field witha straight 1/2in bastard file and 2 small ballpeans. Im sorry if the post offended your superior knowledge.

Im glad someone brought up the electric chainsaw subject. I have seen several companies including Stihl making lipo battery powered chainsaws in different sizes. I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on them. Even Harbor Freight is selling them now.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2018
    Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Think twoman 6ft gap tooth felling saw, and tell me that again.

20. tell you what again?

That a saw that uses gas isnt sustainable? Sorry for the opinion. Wont happen again.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2018
  1. Gaowlpoop
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Hanzo
  4. Bear
  5. cjsloane
  6. Tyler Danann
  7. Quigley_Sharps
  8. CATO
  9. Brokor
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7