Survival chain saw

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by oil pan 4, Aug 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

This guy can easily save us many mistakes and thousands of dollars.

Yeah 4 to 30 minutes of cut time, 40 to 140 minute recharge times. They're definitely not for cutting up fire wood.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    BTPost and CraftyMofo like this.
  2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

cordless are a POS in real work for this.
    My impacts are great , just wait till ya get one stuck and a dead cell / battery .
    Bring out the coal beast !!
    Owner of 15 saws +

SB21 likes this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I got one for cutting limbs off trees and light clean up. It's perfect. I got the little hyper tough saw and a fast battery charger and 5 more chains on clearance at walmart. It's definitely better than using a gas saw for all the tiny stuff. I do bring a gas saw because there is usually 1 or 2 large dead or dieing trees to cut down.

Cruisin Sloth and SB21 like this.
  4. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

Saw items
    I1. f you are new to using a chain saw, not only read the manual, but watch some You tube videos. Consider buying protective chaps.
    2. Never try to cut with a dull chain. Invest in quality files and guides and learn how to sharpen your saw. When a chain shows signs of wear, throw it out, or repurpose for something else.
    3. Take frequent breaks and keep hydrated. If you find your mind wandering, it is time to quit. I'm in my 60's and when I get tired, I quit sawing and start stacking. I never use a saw past 330pm, as I find my concentration waning.
    4. If you have only one saw, it is a virtual guarantee you'll get it hung up in a log on a cut. Either have another bar and chain to put on it, or a wedge and maul, plus a bottle jack to lift the log.
    5. If you have to cut alone, make sure someone knows where you are and have a set check in time. (Example, lunch and at 3pm). We had a local guy who dropped a tree on himself. His wife didn't check on him until dark and it was too late then.
    6. Always, always have a first aid kit handy, and consider buying a tourniquet for it.. Know how to stop arterial bleeding.
    There are a few other items, but this is enough for one post.

Gator 45/70 and BTPost like this.
  5. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

To each his own. I've owned 6 gas saws and still have one. However, I've taken down 30" trees with battery powered saws, and cut up a 4' maple that my FIL had dropped. Went through 7 chains, but eventually got it cut up. Did use my gas saw for some of it.

I have 4 batteries, always put one in the charger when it runs out. Gives me a 5 min break and I cycle through my batteries.

Now: I'm not in a wood lot away from civilization. I'm at a cabin, with electrical power within 50 yard walk or so. Normally a 24 to 30" tree is the biggest I tackle, and many smaller than that. However, my 40v battery operated saw is the one I reach for first these days.

I'd say if you own 15 saws, you're a "power" user, and wood cutter extraordinaire!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have cut down some pretty big trees with my modded 120v powered saw.
    For me I have 3 gas powered saws one of those was free. The free one is an old pullan with the engine displacement marked in cubic inches.
    I had the 80 something cc stihl ms460 when I lived on the east coast but sold it before I came to new mexico. I kept my little 40cc echo saw and bought the 60cc echo saw a few years after I got here. The trees aren't as big as east coast trees but they are a lot tougher.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. Cruisin Sloth

I live in the bush and on large treed area . my largest dia drop with another few gents was 5 foot at the base, branches were 10 to 12 inches .
    Pictures died when the Hard drive crapped 2 years ago.Stihl ms450 75cc saw,all the way down to a 10" recharge . Off to a woodmizer or an Alaska Mill .
    Ya lots of trees and wood.
    Sloth

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Cruisin Sloth

Take less of a rake in the sharpen angle is better for the saw. I cut hardwood (arbutus trees) with a 10-15 degree angle over a 35
    S
    Hence why so many saws

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Few years ago I broke the crank on my 029, it was a much for a rebuild as a new saw so bought a 290. A few years later found a company (china) called farmtek and could get a crank for 30 bucks, so what the heck and tied them. New barrel and piston with crank less than 80 bucks and the thing has been in use for the last 6 years. Became the kids saw.

10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The echo cs-620 is more like 7hp. Not 5 like I originally thought.
    No wonder it almost keeps up with a stihl ms-460 which is an 87cc saw that makes like 8hp.

Even the idle sounds mean, it's more intense in real life.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The echo cs-620 looks like it's becoming the go to saw for mid size. It's the right mix of cost, power, weight, vibration isolation and bar selection so that was a great buy.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Big Stihl for big pines, but I've dropped most of them now. The saw that's seen the most use in the past two years has been a 7" pole saw. I've been able to keep everything neatly trimmed and cut up the limbs up to 10". The thing I appreciate most is that it's out there away from me, and I can operate it standing straight up. Handy little beast and surprisingly useful for its size.

Gator 45/70 and CraftyMofo like this.
  13. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

[​IMG]
    Somebody needs to hire a tree service.

Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and Homer Simpson like this.
  14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

^^^^^^^^^ Get the right tool for the job…. and those are not it… ^^^^^^^^^

Gator 45/70 and hot diggity like this.
  15. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

That's what wedges, and a big ass hammer, were made for! :rolleyes:

Gator 45/70 and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well I broke my carbide chain after a lot of use. I was dreading buying a new one.
    Well 4 years later the new stihl carbide chain is about 1/2 what I paid for my original one.
    Makes the carbide about 3x more expensive than the regular stihl chain.
    Definitely worth it.
    I never sharpened my carbide chain.

17. Macgyver

Macgyver Monkey+

I'll take a Husqvarna I only have 3.

18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Husqvarna gone woke/green and simping for build back better.
    Got a Husqvarna mower and need a part? Tough shit, they want you to buy a battery powered one. I figure it's only a matter of time before they do it to at least the smaller saws.
    I'm sure the unions helped too.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2023
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Fresh, new chicanic video less than 2 hours old.
    Husqvarna, they used to be a good company that sold decent stuff.
    Now they are a woke shit bag going green, build back better boot licker company that sells garbage.

If I had running Husqvarna saws I would sell them to some sucker and go buy echo's or Stihls before they break, can't get parts, end up throwing them away or sell them for parts for 10% the money a running one is worth.

In other news I'm going to 40:1 on my 2 stroke gas. May even try 32:1.
    I have been running 44:1 for a while now like a year, jstburned up a full gallon of 40:1, the weed eater loves it and the saws make a puff of smoke after idling on throttle up.
    With 40:1 the 60cc echo is popping on the first pull cold and if I'm quick I can get the small echo to start on the first pull, cold evil dead army of darkness style.

20. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I like her ,, I've learned a few things from her . Will probably learn more once I get into a few more projects in her area of expertise.

1. Gaowlpoop
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Hanzo
  4. Bear
  5. cjsloane
  6. Tyler Danann
  7. Quigley_Sharps
  8. CATO
  9. Brokor
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7