Survival Chopped PNW

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Motomom34, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

We are reviving Survival Chopped. We all have food storage or should have. Beans & rice seems to be the common storage items. But what do you do with them???? I have asked people around the country to give me items from their storage and I am asking monkeys to use you creativity to make simple post- SHTF meals. @kckndrgn set out some good rules in the first so let's keep those:

The idea here is that given a set of items you may/may not keep in your LTS (long term storage) you have to use the items and whatever YOU normally have in your preps. I think this will help everyone think outside the box, so to speak, on different ways we can use our preps in a time of need.

Rules or guidelines (can be modified as we go, since I'm making this up attachFull47897 )
    • Must use all ingredients specified
    • Can use items you normally store
    • Can use "fresh" harvest/kill items (like, say you went squirrel hunting and now you have a mess of squirrels to eat up attachFull47898 )
    This is to share, create and use what you have. Simple and easy.

Round one:
    Spam
    Canned chicken
    Noodles
    Tabasco
    Dinty Moore Stew
    few packs of freeze dried food

upload_2016-7-10_7-19-30. upload_2016-7-10_7-19-30. 20160626_163450. 20160626_163553. 20160626_163724. 20160626_163745. 20160626_163854. 20160626_164001. 20160626_164121.

Yard Dart likes this.
  2. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

looks like 3 entrees are theses the thee different baskets?

AD1 likes this.
  3. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Well, let's see...grind up some of the chicken with pickles, add some mayonaise...use as a sandwich spread on homemade bread. Rabbit works well, too.
    Spam & eggs, chicken & buttered noodles, stretch the stew by adding some noodles. Add Tabasco to taste ;)
    For the ramen, how about adding some freeze-dried pork and soy sauce for a little change of pace. Stir fried veggies on the side.
    Save the pouches of LTS for a rainy day...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    Motomom34, Brokor and Yard Dart like this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Fried spam with tobasco for breakfast (but only because you don't have bacon or chorizo Spam ;) ) i might use one package of ramen noodles with the spam and use the flavor back to flavor instead of tobacco

LUNCH AND DINNER
    One package of shell noodle, one can of chicken mix with homemade mayo
    Mayo with eggs
    • 1 egg
    • ¾ cup olive oil
    • 2 tbsp. vinegar
    • ½ tbsp. salt
    Blend the egg, vinegar and salt for about 10 seconds.
    Reduce the blending speed and slowly add the olive oil. Blend on slow for 30 seconds until the mixture becomes thick.Your mayo should last for about 2-4 weeks in the fridge.
    Mayo without eggs
    • 3 tbsp lemon juice
    • 1/2 cup soy milk
    • 1/4 tsp salt
    • 1/4 tsp paprika
    • 1/4 tsp mustard
    • 6 tbsp vegetable oil
    Blend on the lowest speed everything but the oil. Gradually - one drop at a time - add the oil until the mixture starts to thicken. You can also use a food processor if needed. Chill for thicker mayo and store in fridge

I would save the Stew for when I could not cook.

This post has a 'just add....' for food storage
    Sprouting- Using Stored Grain, Nuts, Seeds to Optimize Health | Survival Monkey Forums

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Hm. :lol: Luvs me some typos and auto corrects --

Brokor, techsar and chelloveck like this.
  6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I think smoked spam was being suggested. ;)

7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

You can make anything better with condiments. This Link
    Has all the recipies and the shopping list attached.

The shopping list has 56 ingredients, some of which can come from your garden that if you stock small amounts of these you can make virtually any condiment

Here is the link again
    Recipe - CONDIMENTS from scratch with shopping list | Survival Monkey Forums

@ghrit why is it you don't seem to contribute anything but criticism and negativity?

Would it not have been possible for you as a moderator to just go correct that typo? or is that too much work for you?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2016
    Motomom34 and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Tsk, tsk, G. Are you telling me you like what computers do to your posts? Relax and enjoy the humor of computer operations. (And rather snottily, I mention that you could have proof read your post.)

9. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Breakfast: Shepherds pie
    ingredients:
    Dinty Moore Beef Stew (20oz can)
    Dehydrated potatoes 2 cups

Place beef stew in the bottom of a oven safe quart dish, use dehydrated potatoes to make mashed potatoes... place mashed potatoes over the stew... bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes...

Lunch: Sesame Chicken with Ramen noodles
    Ingredients:
    1/2 c. soy sauce
    1/4 c. honey
    1/4 c. cider vinegar
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    4 scallions, thinly sliced (divided)
    11/2 tbsp. tobasco sauce
    1 tsp. sesame seed oil
    3/4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" cubes
    1 c. cornstarch
    2 tbsp. vegetable oil
    1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
    3 packets ramen noodles (seasonings set aside for other uses), boiled

In a medium bowl, whisk together soy sauce, honey, rice wine vinegar, garlic, 1/4 cup scallions, tobasco sauce, sesame oil, and a pinch of salt. Set aside

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, season the chicken with salt and pepper. Toss in cornstarch until evenly coated. When the oil is hot, cook chicken in batches until golden brown and crispy, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

Add the sesame-honey sauce and bring to simmer. Stir in broccoli and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Add the cooked chicken and ramen noodles and toss to coat.

Dinner: Oriental style spam and noodles

1 (8 ounce) package uncooked spaghetti
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 12 ounce can of Spam, cubed
    1/2 green onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, chopped
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.

2. Meanwhile, heat vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add luncheon meat, green onion and garlic and saute until light brown. Stir in cooked spaghetti , then stir in soy sauce, water, sesame oil and pepper. Mix all together, heat through and serve.

Ganado, chelloveck and Yard Dart like this.
  10. chelloveck

I think it more a case of @ghrit seeing a little wry humour in the auto correct sub routine's second guessing what it thought you meant. Smocked bacon doesn't seem faze auto correct....go figure

Smocking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Maybe @ditch witch has a smocked bacon pattern in her wardrobe of bacon wear??? ;)

Brokor likes this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@techsar, @Ganado @Witch Doctor 01 thank you for playing along and helping some of us to figure out how to combine our food storage to make meals. I appreciate it.

You other ones, I would appreciate the snark and garbage comments be taken to one of the 20 + current even threads. I look at the current events and it tells me to get on task, get prepping and make sure I am ready. I could sit around beating the latest headline over and over but the bottom-line is this country is headed to a bad place, I do not believe we are in peaceful times. I have 100+ lbs of noodles and would love to see creativity, easy basic ways that other monkeys prepare them.

Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  12. chelloveck

.....I'll play......

Round one:
    Spam: Cut into slabs, Dip in a beer batter (or substitute batter) and deep fry . Alternatively, dip in stirred eggs and roll in dried breadcrumbs and pan fry.

Canned chicken: Dice chicken and use it to make Greek Lemon Chicken soup (Avgolemeno) Egg and lemon soup (avgolemono)

Noodles: Add the noodles to the Avgolemeno (reserve ramen noodle condiments as a soup flavouring (other than the avgolemeno)

Tabasco: use as flavouring ad lib for the fried spam or the DM Stew

Dinty Moore Stew: Make a short crust pie to top and use to make individual ramekin pies using the Dinty More Stew. Add cooked pasta or cooked ramen noodles to the pie to extend the stew mix.

Few packs of freeze dried food: Use as side dishes for the spam....or to hide the spam in.....or use the cooked freeze fried food to further extend the stew mix

Add liberal amounts of Tobacco Sauce to the spam and the stew....it will help in avoiding food fatigue and it will encourage others to assume a more active role in cooking for the group. ;)

13. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I'm still having trouble opening up that little packet of yellow cheese flavored chemicals that came in my Mac and Cheese box...

14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I use Scissors, and cut the Top of the Packet, then squeeze out the Plastic Cheese... Nothing like a Good Pot of Macaroni & LaTex... Especially if you add a couple of Nuked HotDawgs, chopped up in small pieces....

chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  15. chelloveck

Place package in microwave, set for 1 minute on high....after the package explodes, scrape the residue off the top and sides of the microwave oven....some additional cleaning may be required.[micro]

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. JC Refuge
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. RJFab
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. duane
  12. TnAndy
  13. Dunerunner
  14. ditch witch
  15. john316
  16. Ganado
  17. Ganado
  18. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics