Survival classes....maybe....Advice needed.

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by dragonfly, Jan 24, 2010.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

A friend of mine Paul Littlefox, a Native American ("Cherokee") is thinking about moving up to my area, and starting survival/wilderness classes....
    He resides now in Oklahoma, and wants to move to a warmer climate, and has taught classes there for some time...But only to locals....
    He was asking me about setting up a site on the internet, and advertising to see what kind of response he could get...
    Since I have NO idea of how to do that, I'll have to enlist the aid of my youngest son to build a site....
    Now, what does one charge for this type of thing?
    Would it be 2 day, 3 day, or 5 day classes...or?
    Like I said, I'm drawing a blank on this one!
    Suggestions appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'm not clear on something, are you asking what to charge for setting up the website, or what your friend should charge for the classes?

What does he currently charge? I would use that as a starting basis. Find something in your area, or the area he will be doing the classes and see what they charge, if nothing in the area, go to the region, then nationwide.

3. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Website is free, except for more than a basic page...
    Photos, extra pages have a minimal fee to add.
    I have no idea of what they charge for those classes....
    He takes people out into nowhere, camps out, and teaches them all kinds of things...
    I am waiting to hear back from him on what he charged before....
    Since he taught mostly Tribal members, I don't think he charged them....

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

My bad, where he is right now, he just "lost" his job up in Montana!
    It's hitting everyone it seems!

5. TenGrit

TenGrit Monkey++

The average price for most "mid-range to higher end" classes, in the firearms and tactics training industry, is around $200 a day.

6. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

I'd find competitors, see what they offer and what they charge. Then make a list of what he offers and base his prices off the comparison.

I'd think 2 days, sat sun for suburbanites maybe, then maybe week long classes, depends on the curriculum and the demand. How long can someone live without food, what 3 weeks? So 3.5 weeks That'd be a good length for a survival class IMO.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7