Survival Defense

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Alpha Dog, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

Something I have not seen around the site is hand to hand self-defense. I have studied several forms of martial arts and I boxed growing up. Now martial arts is a good form of self defense and teaches stucture. Boxing as well I will put my daughter in martial art's for those reasons. The problem with martial arts is that it takes so long to get to the point of self-defense hours and hours of training and testing. I've researched Krav Maga it is the training the Israeli special forces use. It's simple to learn, the tactics are simple, and it is desined to take a man out of the fight and keep him out. The tactics are good for men, wemon and children of all sizes you don't have to be a black belt or the size of a truck to be affective with this form of hand to hand. The moves are simple and uses the attackers body against himself. You can order the video's to train at home for about $60.00 dollars well worth the money plus it's something you can do with the wife and kids for family time and it also helps keep you all in shape. From the time you practice the first moves they can be used and be affective for self-defense.

Dropy, Cephus and tulianr like this.
  2. Opinionated

Opinionated Monkey+

You have a really really good point, Alpha. It is my personal opinion that the ability to deal with a threat hand to hand is every bit as important as proficiency with ALL other weapons one may employ in defeating a threat.

But knowing exactly what to work on is a big problem for most folks. At least that has been my experience.

I settled on getting the fundamentals from Krav Maga because it is the most non structured - free form, if you will - style I could find that really IS battle proven in the modern real world.

The problems with other styles . . . well, I think that Jim Carrey nails it . . (y)

LIVING COLOUR - Jim Carey-Karate Instructor - YouTube

Alpha Dog likes this.
  3. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

I was in Boxing during high school and college. I also get the oppertunity to cross gloves at the Y once a month.
    I also spent high school and two years in college on the wrestling team.
    Of course there are a lot better forms of hand to hand combat but I also know how to throw tomahawk and am fairly handy at knives.
    Combine all of those atributes together and I think I could ensure I would not be an easy target.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That is the first goal to reach in surviving. Low signature first.

5. Alpha Dog

I agree it is very a affective system also people don't understand alot of the time a weapon won't be available thats when you need to be able to use your body as the weapon. In some case's a fire arm, club or other weapon just might not be the tool needed such as taking a threat out quietly. I also ordered several video's on knife fighting and defence becase I have a knife on me at all time and they can be a very affective weapon for self-defense. If I carry it I should know how to use it other than opening a box and these video's have showed me numerous simple ways to use it along with my body as a complete weaon in a time of need. The good thing you get the basic's with Krav Maga and the knife defense you form your own way of defense that you are comfortable with.

Cephus likes this.
  6. Opinionated

Opinionated Monkey+

Well said Alpha.

I'm sure that most everyone is familiar with the saying: "Never bring a knife to a gun fight".

But just like that saying: "experience is the best teacher", it is incomplete.

It actually goes like this: "Never bring a knife to a gun fight unless it takes place in a phone booth."

. . probably obvious to many here what that really means, but for the rest . . .

If you are one of the folks who believe the accurate (at the time) statistics that say the vast majority of gunfights happen at 5 yards or less, you should also know that it is very VERY easy to demonstrate that any attacker within about 20 feet of you can most likely be on top of you - physically - before you can present your handgun. Especially from concealment.

Thus, in a close in encounter of the violent kind being proficient in hand to hand (and this includes knife skills) is what you need to be.

.. oh, one more thing, that "experience is the best teacher" thing . .

"Experience is the best teacher as long as it is someone else's experience that you learn from."

(y)

Alpha Dog likes this.
  7. Alpha Dog

Plus if you have an attacker 99% of them will be looking for you to pull a gun they never see the knife until they feel it. I had a buddy get jumped outside of a store where he had went in and picked up his daughter a toy on his way home from work. well he had just got paid a few hour ago and had money in his wallet well this thug was standing in the store and seen the money when he paid for the toy. so the guy goes out and waits around the conner and when John came buy he jumped him from behind and got on top of him striking him several times in the face and with the way the guy was beating him in the head and face Jon thought the guy was going to kill him . With the way the guy was on top of him he coulnd't get to his gun. So John was able to get to his S&W tactical knife and get it open, he stabbed the attacker 2 or 3 times in the side and 2 times in the side of the leg and hip. The guy jumped up and ran police found him about half a mile away passed out from blood loss. Come to find out the guy had done this numerous time and his victims was always wemon until this time he couldn't pass up seeing the money in johns wallet. The guy also stated that he was watching john to see if he had a gun but the thought of a pocket knife never crossed his mind.

8. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Me, I always have a pocket knife clipped inside my left front pocket. Now others might not be, but I'm ambidextrous enough to pull, open, & use it left handed though I'm mainly right handed. Even without a knife in one second i can go from calm peaceful, to a very dangerous ole Countryboy. May God have mercy on anyone that breaks into my home or attacks me. They better pray I use a Gun, or it'll get Very Very MESSY!!!

Karate, boxing, & martial arts are hits & strikes. Me, I grapple, choke, wrestle, & generally brawl. You ain't really enjoyed a fight until you've seen a Big Tough Guy, crying & begging as you choke them down like a dog. No offense Alpha LoL

9. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I dont know about the knife to a gun fight we are now taught that if the attacked is within 21 feet and coming at you dont try to draw defend against the attack gain distance or control the knife then draw and shoot. I also carry a left side folder and am right handed. I took the time to learn basic knife.

I think learning to fight in whatever form of self defense teaches some basics, but what it really gives is the idea that you can fight and the confidence to try. Sheeple need this, It reenforces our natural defensive drives,biting kicking hit ect are instinctive. Some others are drawn to combat and then build on their natural drives with technique.

10. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

From my personal experience in hand to hand combat (ie being jumped) it was over in about a minute. I successfully defended myself. I'd say focus on good quick techniques and get them to the point that you don't need to think when executing them. Understand that you might not be the one to throw the first punch so make sure you can take a hit too.

That and tae kwon do is a sport... Choose something real.

Alpha Dog likes this.
  11. beast

beast backwoodsman

been stabbed, shot at, jumped from behind
    my biggest asset is i dont panic, never have
    i just let em do what theyre tryin and break whatever comes in reach
    you can lead most people anywhere with your thumb shoved under their jaw
    and the rest of your fingers in their mouth
    sure they can bite but not thru that many bones at once
    havin an eyeball popped out will stop most people dead in their tracks too
    when its your life or theirs, theres only one rule, hes diein, not me

gunbunny, CaboWabo5150 and Alpha Dog like this.
  12. Alpha Dog

We had a fight call a few year back where this 6ft 280 man decided he was going to smack around this little 5ft 5in 130lb fellow to show off infront of a bar hog. The first smack to the back of the smaller mans head the ol boy told him not to start it wasn't worth it and walked away. So this guy and three of his friends decided to push just a little more. When we arrived it looked like you had painted that bar with red paint. The smaller guy when all three of them jumped him took a hawkbill knife and grasped it in his hand with about 2inches of the blade stuck out and took care of the problem. The smaller guy was waiting outside and told me when I got out Im the one that cut them sir and handed me the knife. Thats when I learned a whole new respect for the blade as I entered the door of the bar there was the 6ft 280lb man holding his guts in. I started watching people more for blades they are a more dangerous of weapon in the hands of a person who knows how to use it than most people would be holding a fire arm

13. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Ditto on edged weapons; in close they are quicker than a firearm.

14. beast

beast backwoodsman

used to tote around an old carpet knife
    the kind with the hooked blade
    had it sharpened on both sides
    friend showed me how nasty those were in close quarters
    very wicked weapon and totally legal to carry

15. Opinionated

Opinionated Monkey+

:D I have no idea what you are talking about. :D

therumbler1sm.

16. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

That is way too pretty a knife to leave behind.

17. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

i've studied Hakka ryu JuJitsu... mostly a combination of Karate, judo, and jujkitsu... heavy on self defense... Sapper John and i both learned from a nice 70 year old man who could and did mop the floor with young wanna bes.... he also said never use your fist to hi someone unless both feet were nailed to the floor and nothing else was close by... bottle, stick, chain, cane, etc...[beat]

tulianr and BTPost like this.
  18. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

My senior Sensei is seventy-four years old, and I'm fairly sure he wouldn't need to even stop reading his book to dismember me. I've developed a much greater appreciation for the "relativeness" of age since I began to study at my dojo. Many of our senior blackbelts are in their sixties, and barely break a sweat dealing with those of us a couple of decades younger than them.

I very much agree with the comments earlier on Krav Maga. I've studied martial arts much of my adult life - Tae Kwon Do (8 yrs), Juijitsu (3 yrs), Aikido (1 yr), Shotokan (2yrs), and Shorin-Ryu (4 years); and I am most impressed with the approach taken by Krav Maga. I've taken a couple of classes at seminars, and I really wish there was a school nearer to me. It is a method that emphasizes the natural responses of the body, and therefore can be learned and applied very quickly.

Many other styles take years before the practitioner is actually able to apply lessons learned in the dojo to situations in the street. You don't study most of these other styles though for the express purpose of learning to kick someone's butt, as you do with Krav Maga. They are either primarily sport; like Tae Kwon Do, or they are a path to follow for life.

Some sort of martial arts/boxing/wrestling ability should be part of everyone's defensive shield. Defense is about layering, as most of the readers of this forum are well aware. You can't put all your eggs in one basket. Guns are a great outer layer, but the next layer is a knife and the knowledge of how to use it, the next is hand to hand knowledge, and the next is pure damned meanness. The attitude that says that if need be, you'll chew his damned leg off, rather than just rolling over and dying. The attitude that says, "Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, because I am the meanest M-F in the valley."
    [patr]

Opinionated, Alpha Dog and beast like this.
  19. Alpha Dog

Thats the attitude Im talking about (I come in peace but if you want some come and get some!!) just knowing you have the tools and the knowledge to use them. That gives you the edge over the threat because he has no idea what he's walking into but you know exactly what he's going to get and you are going to give it to him.

BTPost and tulianr like this.
  20. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

I like to end a fight swiftly,with no hesitation.
    One chop,or punch to the adams apple!Game over!!
    It's a proven fact that if a man cant breath,a man cant fight.With a collapsed windpipe that same man will die quickly,without immediate medical attention.
    Matt[cow][fight2]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7