Survival food

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by oldman11, Dec 7, 2019.

1. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

While using the standard yellow #5 dent corn to survive on is possible, long term use will lead to a vitamin B3(Niacin) deficiency known as Pellagra - Wikipedia

Both the Spanish and American Indians had unknowingly unlocked the Niacin in dent/flint corns or Maze by either soaking in an alkali or parching in hard wood ashes. Every thing from corn chips to taco shells to corn tortillas all start out with having the corn kernels soaking in a alkali solution today.

With the cost of corn being so cheap today, a 50 pound bag from either Rural King or Tractor Supply is around $7.00. That fifty pound bag of corn will contain around 110,000 calories.

2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

With CORN, you need to find Maze and get as far away from the GMO sourced crap that you find commercially!
    Be sure to research Where it comes from, and how it was grown, and most importantly, Where the seed came from! If it's a gov. run supply source, Run away as fast as you can!

HK_User likes this.
  3. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

About the only thing cheaper than corn is a daily dose of Niacin.
    264080B8-F32E-4868-A302-8BB17D987929.
    25,000 daily doses of the required 20mg for an adult for $24.

3cyl and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

You can even plant the seed from Rural King ( I work there and get a 15% discount ). I know that the seed aren't heirloom, but you can eat the non-heirloom crop and increase the heirloom seeds for future plantings. We have corn, wheat, rye, oats and turnip seeds, in large quantities at reasonable prices.

HK_User, T. Riley and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. My $0.02 on seeds. The first year or three, use your hybrid, high yield seeds to produce food. I'm not too worried about saving seeds at that point. Years 4 and onwards, use the heirloom seeds and save them to reuse. As for food, I tend to split it up between ready to use food (6 months), long term (6 months), and bulk foods 1 year. That's the goal to have on hand when the balloon goes up. Supplement it with wild critters (deer, bear, coons, possums, squirrels,chipmunks, etc). That and chickens, rabbits, maybe a few meat goats. The Afghanis liked their MRE's on the hoof (goat and sheep).

HK_User, T. Riley and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I agree, what you have stored will not save you. It will only delay the inevitable, if it doesn’t get you killed. A source is alway better than a supply. Learn to grow, forage and hunt.

7. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

For that you need a copy of that famous Korean cookbook "One Hundred and One Ways to Wok Your Dog"....sorry, couldn't resist! LOL

Gator 45/70 and Merkun like this.
  8. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

Now for the serious side. If you live in the Midwest you can get animal vet supplies and feed at Mills Fleet Farm or Farm and Fleet (two chains) Don't forget if you've got bird seed, you can get squirrels, and if you have a "have a heart" trap you can capture them, or small animals without using ammo.

3cyl, Mountainman and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7