Survival Man

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by warhead2, Jan 13, 2006.

1. warhead2

warhead2 Monkey+++ Founding Member

OK well i was flipping thru the channels and ran across a show called Survival Man or something like that and on this episode he was in Canada when it was snowy anyways was an OK show, But i want to ask a ? here he caught a rabbit and he said he ate the Bones :shock: for fat content now i have never heard of this i would think that the bones would punch a hole in stomach and he said he ate the brain too but never showed him doing it but I'm thinking rabbies. ok thats it let me know what u think

2. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Never eat brains. There is a disease called chronic wasting disease and it resides in the brain and spinal tissues. As for eating bones, I wouldn't for the same reason you don't feed chicken bones to your dog. To easy to lodge in your esophogus and you can choke to death. Best to dry them and crush them into powder if you want the nutrients.

3. B540glenn

B540glenn Should Be Working Founding Member

The show is SurvivorMan. I did not see that particular episode but have seen a few others.

Did he show himself gnawing on the bone or did he smash it and eat it? If he smashed it I'd assume he ate the marrow which is a good source of calories and nutrients, but I can't see why he would eat the whole bone.

4. sniper-66

I didn't actually see that part, the wife made me flip it back to some mushy show, so I missed about 1/3 of the show. May not know how to eat bones because of it, but I know how two gay guys act together now!

5. warhead2

warhead2 Monkey+++ Founding Member

see thats what i was thinking and no never did show him eating the bones just the meat

6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I'd wait until I was all out of all other food before contemplating marrow sucking and brain slurping myself.

I bet monkeyman has some stories however...

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Marrow very good stuff for energy and calories. Brains arguable for several reasons, somewhat species dependent. Since I don't know, I don't eat 'em.

8. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

How'd you know? lol

Well, first I'll go on the brains. The cronic waseint thing is aka bse or mad cow desease, it could be a problem in some animals in areas where there is a lot of live stock since they may have been eating a lot of the comercial feed but the main cause of it is feed given in comercial operations where they take the stuff that isnt even fit for hot dogs or bologna and grind it up and add it to cattle/hog/etc feed to raise the protiene content so the animals gain weight quicker (I think this has been outlawed now). Being vegitarian in nature though forceing/tricking them into being not only carnivors but canibles has for some strange reason :eek: created problems. This is the big reason why its rarely to never found in animals younger than 3 years (fairly old for cattle). If you are in a survival situation though then live stock probably isnt in the livestock operations in the area so probably wouldnt be BSE.
    Now on the bones, if you were going to eat them then be sure to chew real well. I know John McPhearson (top notch survival author/instructor who teaches the US special forces instructors) when trapping mice, packrats and so on for food will just cook them whole and burn off the hair in the process then eat bones inards, brains and all for the same reason of the extra nutrients. If it was me I would break up the bones and all and add them along with the meat and whatever veggies I could find (cat tails, and their roots and so on since its winter) and boil it a good long time to get the marrow.
    One thing about it is that I dont know if there may be fat in the marrow but due to the lack of fat in rabbit meat, while it is excelent for a lot of other nutrients, you can not survive long term, especialy in cold, on rabbit meat. If you have the chance some of the best survival meats to catch would be coon or opposum since they are both high in fat and very calorie dense and nutrient dense, same reason why if you can do it with out the critter killing you first (bad idea with just an emergency made bow and arrow or spear :eek: ) a bear would be a great catch for the meat and the fat thats so hard to find most times in the wild.
    So if was going for the bones then yeah I would definatly go for the brains or if they were not to hard to get at on a bigger critter but figure it would most likely be a negative calorie proposition in most cases unless was a large critter where you could get most of a meal out of the brain which may well have a lot of fat to it.

9. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

CWD isn’t bovine only Wild animals have it too in most area except in Oregon and Idaho and Washington
    Trout have a form of it too called whirling disease.
    I think most animals have to potential to have some from of it; we just haven’t got a test to detect it yet.
    There are a lot of dead animals in the woods at times.

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

"They" say that CWD is in the deer population around here. Herd is LARGE around here, needs thinning somewhat. Buggers gather in no hunting areas. My jobsite has a herd of some 60 that collect after hours and play king of the hill on the spoils pile. There are buck tracks in the sand as well. One track is just under 4 inches long. This guy is a biggie for this area.

11. sniper-66

CWD just moved into Kansas this year. The Elk have had it for some time in Colorado. Matter of fact, for awhile, if you shot an Elk, you were expected to cut the head off, put it in a plastic bag and put it in a barrel at the exit points of the parks. Fat chance of that, matter of fact, we would check the barrels every day and no one did this! Sometimes, you gotta wonder what goes through Ranger's minds!

12. monkeyman

I think a lot of times though where the wild animals may well be getting it from is going in and eating out of the feed trouphs where the cattle feed is at. I know it used to be VERY common to eat brains especialy from pigs and IIRC from cattle. Given that BSE is at least somewhat of an issue now I wouldnt nessicarily advise a steady diet of it especialy unless you have raised them yourself, fed them no comercial feed and butchered young but in a survival situation I would say food may be a bit to scarce to waste it on the off chance it might have some problems in it. Just my thoughts on it.

13. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

speaking of brains... where's those Pig pic mm?

14. monkeyman

Havent been able to out smart the PC yet to do it as a document that can be put on the disk with the comentairy or to remember how to copy the one on the beef from here to my PC or disc with both, also figure got to save some of it for the CDs for sale, no point to anyone buying them if all the critters are shown on line where its easy to download it free (as long as you know the computer better than I do).lol

15. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

CWD is different than Mad Cow Disease/Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE), but in the same family. Scientific and epidemiological studies have linked variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (vCJD), a chronic and fatal neurodegenerative disease that affects humans, to the consumption of beef products (there's that word again Melbo) contaminated with the BSE. The removal of SRMs (Specified Risk Materials) which include the skull, brain, trigeminal ganglia, eyes, portions of the vertebral column, spinal cord and dorsal root ganglia of cattle aged 30 months or older, and the tonsils and the distal ileum, (a part of the small intestine) of all cattle are for the specific purpose of eliminating MCD/BSE/CJD in humans. Just keep in mind, if you are slaughtering beef over the age of 30 months don't eat the brain, spinal cord, or intestines. Any beef over 30 months, bone it out.

Here is some info on BSE, it is a little older, but still has some good information. The U.S. regs which were not all in force when this article was written, now are very similiar to the plans of many of the Euro/English plans.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/oa/topics/BSE_thinking.htm

For more info go to our website, which is www.fsis.usda.gov. You can do a search on "BSE" or "Mad Cow Disease" or even "Cruetzfieldt Jakob Disease" and find all of the reading material you would like to wade through.

Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy and Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease
    BSE, commonly referred to as "Mad Cow Disease," is a slowly progressive degenerative disease that affects the central nervous system (CNS) of adult cattle. The typical incubation period (the time from when an animal becomes infected until it first shows disease signs) for BSE is from two to eight years. Following the onset of clinical signs, the animal’s condition deteriorates until it either dies or is destroyed. This process usually takes from two weeks to six months. BSE is so named because of the spongy appearance of the brain tissue of infected cattle when sections are examined under a microscope.

BSE belongs to the family of diseases known as the transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSE’s). Other TSE's include scrapie in sheep and goats, transmissible mink encephalopathy, feline spongiform encephalopathy, chronic wasting disease (CWD) in deer and elk, and in humans, kuru, classic Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (CJD), Gerstmann-Straussler-Scheinker syndrome, fatal familial insomnia, and variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (vCJD). The agent that causes BSE and other TSE’s has yet to be fully characterized. There are three main theories on the nature of the agent: (1) the agent is a virus with unusual characteristics; (2) the agent is a prion—an abnormal form of a normal protein known as cellular prion protein; and (3) the agent is a virino—an "incomplete" virus composed of nucleic acid protected by host proteins. The agent is highly resistant to heat, ultraviolet light, ionizing radiation, and common disinfectants that normally inactivate viruses or bacteria.

The BSE agent has only been detected in certain tissues of cattle that have with BSE. In the vast majority of cases, except in the distal ileum, the BSE agent has only been detected in those tissues when the cattle are over 24 months of age, and most often in cattle over 32 months of age (although there has been one case in which the agent was detected in a 20-month old cow). In cattle naturally infected with BSE (i.e., commercially reared animals not part of a specially designed experiment), the BSE agent has been found only in brain tissue, in the spinal cord, and in the retina of the eye. In specially designed experiments, the BSE agent has been detected in the brain, spinal cord, distal ileum, dorsal root ganglia (DRG), trigeminal ganglia, and, possibly, the bone marrow of deliberately infected cattle from whose tissues were collected and analyzed for the BSE agent. Some tissues, such as brain and spinal cord, contain higher levels of BSE infectivity than others. The BSE agent has never been detected in the muscle tissue of BSE-infected cattle, regardless of the age of the animal.

BSE was first diagnosed in 1986 in the United Kingdom (U.K.) and since then has been confirmed in native-born cattle in many other European countries and, most recently, in Japan. The disease is most likely spread by feeding rendered parts of cattle infected with BSE to other cattle in the form of meat and bone meal. Worldwide, more than 180,000 cases of BSE have been detected since the disease was first diagnosed, with over 95% of those cases reported from the U.K. No cases of BSE have been detected in the United States (U.S.) despite active surveillance for the disease since May 1990. Other animal TSE’s, such as scrapie and CWD, are present in the U.S.

In 1996, a newly recognized form of CJD was reported in 10 patients in the U.K. CJD is a chronic, neurodegenerative disease that affects humans. However, in contrast to the classic form of CJD, patients with this new form of CJD, known as variant CJD (vCJD), characteristically experience early psychiatric symptoms, early painful sensory symptoms, a later onset of dementia, and an EEG that does not show the typical appearance of sporadic CJD. Both forms of CJD are always fatal. Patients with vCJD tend to be younger than those with classic CJD (average age of onset 28 years, as opposed to the mid 60’s) and have a relatively longer duration of illness (median of 13 months as opposed to 4.5 months). The classic form of CJD occurs spontaneously at a rate of about one to two cases per one million people per year throughout the world, while vCJD has only been detected in people who resided in countries in which BSE is known to exist. Scientific and epidemiological studies have linked vCJD to exposure to BSE, probably through human consumption of beef products contaminated with the agent that causes BSE. Like BSE, vCJD has never been detected in the U.S., although a U.K resident with vCJD did visit the United States for medical care and advice.

From October 1996 to early November 2001, 111 cases of vCJD had been reported in the U.K., 4 in France, and single cases in the Republic of Ireland and Hong Kong. Mortality data on vCJD cases indicate that all persons who have developed vCJD may share a common genetic pattern that may be related to contracting the disease. One study that used computer modeling to estimate the total number of deaths in the U.K. from vCJD predicted that between fewer than 100 and as many as 136,000 people could die from the disease. However, another study that used an approach called "back calculation" concludes that the epidemic of vCJD might be nearing its peak and that the maximum number of cases might number no more than "several thousand." Other researchers believe this latter prediction underestimates the possible size of the epidemic. Considerable uncertainty remains about the ultimate size and duration of the vCJD epidemic.

Recent European union" actions to prevent the spread of vCJD in the European union"
    Because of concerns about vCJD, in 2000 the European union" (E.U.) prohibited for use as human food certain materials known to contain the BSE agent in BSE-infected cattle. These banned materials are referred to as Specified Risk Materials (SRMs) and include the head, including the brain and eyes, the tonsils, and the spinal cord from cattle over 12 months of age and the intestine of all cattle regardless of age. The list of materials designated as SRMs in the U.K. is more expansive. The U.K. list includes the entire head (excluding the tongue but including the brains, eyes, trigeminal ganglia), tonsils, the thymus, the spleen, and the spinal cord of cattle over six months of age, and the vertebral column, including dorsal root ganglia (DRG), of all cattle over thirty months of age, and the intestine of all cattle regardless of age.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7