Survival Myths and Misconceptions

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by 3M-TA3, Nov 30, 2019.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

And you may have to give some neighbors lessons on what being neighbor means.

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and DKR like this.
  2. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Yeah, well, I don't believe in the marauding hordes theory. I do believe that if one can stay under the radar for the first thirty days there will not be much if any threat left. Any that are left will not have the will or energy to do much but hunt scraps. I actually know folks who look forward to such a scenario, thinking they will survive and thrive. I always tell them that first, any event that radically changes our way of life from the norm will cause 99% of the people to totally freak out, and many will bring about their own demise while doing so. Second, I stress that surviving will not be glamorous, you won't be well fed as you defend your fortress (you know, the one you just haven't got around to building yet), and you won't be caring about much of anything while wondering where your next meal will come from. You won't have a hot shower each day, your clothes will be rags in short order, and if you've lived that long you'll realize that you are not able to take from others or live off the land. If you live in a major metropolitan area, your lifespan will likely be much shorter as the population density will see many, many more people trying to attain the same resources as you are.
    I was once somewhere that due to civil war and corrupt government I saw many people slowly dying as their muscles were being consumed to keep them alive. The self appointed government did not care. Those who had guns and were out and about with them were merely targets. The government troops were barely fed and desertion was very high, the rations being the only thing keeping them in service. The dead rotted where they died many times because the living did not have strength to bury them. The small game was nowhere to be seen and the few meager crops I saw had rotted in the fields. I ate a lot of Okra over there as it grew wild, but found you couldn't eat too much of it or you'd get the sh*ts. It was a lot of things I wish I could un-see, and it's why I'm passionate and vocal about this subject. If you intend to not prep, good for you, but don't ever think it'll be some cakewalk where you'll just go from house to house and find what you need. And don't think for a skinny minute you'll come to my house either.

DuxDawg, Oddcaliber, T. Riley and 7 others like this.
  3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@Tempstar Very well said... I would add another point...one which many find hard to believe but it's very true. At the point where people do not have to fear the rule of law, their baser instincts seem to increase to the point where one could simply be killed for the shoes on your feet. Civilization and it's civil conduct is a very, very thin veneer over the true ugly side of mankind. When society doesn't have to conduct itself appropriately it quickly turns into a dog-eat-dog mentally and life becomes very cheap.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Especially if you belong to the wrong tribe.

Bandit99, Dunerunner, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Most of Current Africa is living the life we are discussing here, those people are living a mere existence from day to day, with no hope of ever gaining beyond the basics, and yet many areas of that continent are over ripe with food and wildlife, and yet, the people starve by the thousands! Think about that for a moment!
    Bosnia was as bad as bad gets and worse then your imagination could fathom, people were being slaughtered for simple being, and women were used and abused and discarded with out the courtesy of a bullet to the head and burial or burning after! Humans tend to devolve into the worst kind of predator, one with absolutely no other focus then to EAT and F$%K everything they can, as much as they can, and when they cannot, they kill to take it! It's a harsh reality, one that will show it's self again and again when ever there is a lack of...............everything we 1st world people take for granted! It's something we see playing out all over the world, South America, Asia, North Korea, Africa, India, the Major parts of th Middle East, and the southern regions of the former Soviet Union!
    It would only take ONE major country to fall to bring it all crashing down world wide, and I bet you doughnuts to dogbones you know which is the biggest target! 2020 may well be the tipping point, civil war is likely, and it will escalate to a world war, and if/when that happens, TEOTWAWKI is assured!

DuxDawg, oldawg, SB21 and 5 others like this.
  6. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

That is why we prep to be ready but pray it doesn’t happen.

DuxDawg and oldawg like this.
  7. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

All the guns and ammo won't help if an Angel decides to piss in your powder....

Oddcaliber, mysterymet and SB21 like this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

All the more reason to have things right with God.
    What do you have to loose?

DuxDawg likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7