Survival or Doomsday Vehicle BOV

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Alpha Dog, Sep 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

I'd call it the LV-426.

2. Oddmar

Oddmar Monkey+

So people can confuse it with the Company designation of the planet where Ripley first encountered the Aliens?

3. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

Precisely. Game over, man.

Yard Dart likes this.
  4. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I think I found one for me. We just got an M wrap at work to go with the peace keeper and duce, laughing maniacally, thanks Uncle Sugar

5. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Maybe just run over to the Textron plant and pick up one of these (M1117)

asv2.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I'm in !

7. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

There is very little room inside one of those. Very difficult to egress if, say, it was on fire. I'd rather be on foot.

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

But Dog will be using this vehicle, to ford flooded Rivers and Creeks, when they get their yearly RainStorms, that cause flooding, in AoO... There just are NOT a bunch of uses for it other than that... At least not that I am aware of.... I mean hey, give them to the local LEOs, rather than the local Surplus Scrapper... do you have any clue as to how much a Tire costs, for one of those things?

Alpha Dog likes this.
  9. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

What nobody has plans to "liberate" a bearcat ? [tongue]

Realistically I'll go with a bobbed Deuce & 1/2. I've seen a few around here running on 54" tires.

Impressive up close. [OO]

10. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

220px-Stutz_Bearcat.

Not sure where I could find one.... maybe when I hit the lottery....;)

gunbunny, Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Why not just claim "chitty-chitty-bang-bang" and be done with it?;) that was a true prepper's car....;)

12. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

Yes that’s it, we have a lot of problems in this area with roads being blocked by rock slides and flood waters. The area has unlimited mining roads, gas line roads and logging roads that can be accessed to get you to where you need to go. Even if one was trying to get to his BOL without being seen that is my goal. My plans are to build something to get me and mine along with a small amount of equipment and supplies to the BOL when the SHTF.

13. xls

xls Monkey

Like those tv preppers..... The trucks are a bit extreme. Atleaset the companies could be realistic with the want/need factor of the trucks, over kill....... But sexy!!! Jealous !

14. BTPost

I always liked the ATV Hybrid.... One ATV Maker has a Unit called the BIG BOY. If is a Battery Powered Side by Side, similar to my Rhino660... The Spec is 25 Miles @ 25 MPH .... so if your BOL is within 25 Miles your in, just with the Battery. HOWEVER, If you put a Honda 2Kw Inverter GenSet in the Bed, and mounted an OutBack MX80 Charge Controller in between, You NOW have the Worlds least Expensive Hybrid, and then have a Trailer, for the rest of the Gear and Family, and your ALL SET. FourWheel Drive, Winch, and very easy on the Gas, when you HAVE to Run it on Gas. You can motor passed other folks in Silence, and use the Honda when Silence is not the Issue. If someone made a GOOD Diesel Portable Genset, that would even be an Improvement. Or you could put BOTH in the Bed, and be Multi-Fueled. I like that concept.... ....... YMMV....

kellory likes this.
  15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

16. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

17. Gafarmboy

Gafarmboy Monkey+++

Along time ago in a galaxy far away, we were taught that drivers drive and shooters shoot. It is extremely difficult to run the wheels off a vehicle when you are trying to shoot, load, shoot, load, etc, etc, etc. Drivers concentrate on getting everybody out of dodge in one piece. If your running a small convoy, you better know how to protect another downed vehicle that has wounded aboard that you must transfer. That is unless you plan on leaving Mom, Dad or your other family members behind. That's the drivers job. A good driver can do all the above and then some. If you are trying to drive and shoot. You will miss something and possibly die. Drivers Drive, Shooters Shoot. If you are not training in this area, you better start. Especially if you plan on driving out of the kill zone. It ain't as easy as it looks in the movies. Try this when you have time. Put a couple of wore out out tires on the front, deflate one, then both and try to drive. Yeap, sucks doesn't it. Extra Heavy duty powering steering and front end are a must. Most stuff, even some military grade parts are junk. Get double shocks, front and rear; bolt on a skid plate that goes past the transmission; look at what people that drive the Baja or Dakar and look what they are doing. HEAVY, HEAVY Duty is the only way to go. Plan on driving at night. Ever tried. It is not for everyone and alot of people get physically ill when using NV for extended time.
    Bottom line, get a designated driver(s) and have them learn to drive YOUR vehicle. Hell, we wax on for hours about training to shoot, but not about driving. IT IS AN ART more than a science. A good driver drives, a great driver feels the interaction between the road and the vehicle. LOVE me a Unimog.
    Gafarmboy

Silversnake likes this.
  18. jab73180

jab73180 Monkey

Are you looking at it on a mobile phone? If so, zoom all the way out and on the top left corner of the ad there is an X that you can click to get rid of the ad. If your not on mobile it should be the same.

kellory likes this.
  19. xls

xls Monkey

I am but a poor man. I have to live or die by my means. I enjoy the F-250,push button pos 4x4 with the camper shell, reinforced bumper and body tubes and dual wenches.
    With the backup tools to long to list .We camp most every weekend in different areas and besides direct gunfire I would say is most unstoppable, atleaset I am confident.

In a shtf involving gun fire I would say out here everyone is in deep.
    Considering this is where the folk getting out of dodge dreams about getting to.

20. BTPost

The Electric Shift Transfer Case that Ford put in their Ranger Trucks, and Mazda Trucks are really unreliable. The Motors Failed. The Limit Switches Failed. The Rpm Sensors failed, and IF any of the forgoing Failed, they would NOT shift, Period. I have one of these "Turkeys" and a close Neighbor also has the Mazda Version of the same Truck, and his has FAILED as well. We put them up on the Rack, and put them both in 4 Wheel Drive, Low Range, and cut the wires to the Motor, so they can" revert out of those settings. Better to have them in that setup, and lose a little Rubber, off the tires than have them in 2 Wheel Drive and need 4 Wheel Drive. Low Range is fine here as there isn't any place where one can go faster than 20 MPH, here anyway. Give me a Manual Transfer Case, and Manual Transmission, any day of the week, rather than an electric ANYTHING in the DriveTrain. .......

gunbunny and Silversnake like this.
  1. Clownbear69
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Yard Dart
  4. BenP
  5. Legion489
  6. Tikka
  7. Minuteman
  8. LoganW
  9. Minuteman
  10. Minuteman
  11. jim