Survival or Doomsday Vehicle BOV

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Alpha Dog, Sep 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Not just "Bet" but "Bet your Life on that position..... Really.....

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

So....no issues if I tie him in knots?;) goody.

Yard Dart likes this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Thot about quoting Dirty Harry, but passed the opportunity -- Too obvious ---

kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  4. kellory

Dirty Harry Do You ( I ) Feel Lucky Punk? ( HD ):

Yard Dart likes this.
  5. firekey

firekey Monkey

PILES of other cars will be in the way. Out of fuel, flat tires, won't start, overheated, run without oil, etc. You'll need a 2 wheeled vehicle to get around them. Way too much fence cutting and detours around gullies, thick woods, etc would have to be done to make a 4wd practical. Unless you live at the edge of a fairly small town and aint going far, just into the sticks.

6. firekey

firekey Monkey

I'll take the auto trannie, ANY day. I aint sitting in that much traffic, without turning off the engine. I grew up shifting gears all day long in traffic, and it sux, folks. I just won't sit in traffic longer than to take the next exit. Then break out a bottle of water, turn up the radio, read a book, etc, and let the fools get out of my way, or go the other direction, even.

7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

On this I would agree.....

8. kellory

A lot more to go wrong with an auto tranny. And you can roll start a stick shift., even without a battery.

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

or do like the Doomsday Prep'ers do, get yourself a BIG Diesel Truck, and push them into the ditch.... Easy Piezy....

VisuTrac likes this.
  10. kellory

And a thousand other armed scavengers....... Hungry ones.

11. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

We have taken since September to drive this thread into the ditch.... awesome....maybe we set a record...or somethin ;)

kellory likes this.
  12. Oddmar

Oddmar Monkey+

My opinion on getting stuck in traffic is...

While the rest of you are trying to drive along the interstate or back roads, avoiding possible roadblocks, i'll be driving along the 'high-rail', with only the occasional train to sidehill around.

And if my truck runs on diesel...:D

13. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I wont be on any stupid interstate. Ill be sitting in my fox hole plinking those who would try and take my fuel. No reason for us to look for trouble. Out here? in the woods ? there be monsters. You will have to come to us. I am king here.

14. Dark Jester

Dark Jester Quester...

I guess I would try to stay somewhat less conspicuous, but would want the ability to move out quick.
    This is my vehicle; HUMMER H3/T Alpha. It drives great, gets good gas mileage for a V-8 and goes pretty much anywhere you would want to go; within reason. I have a roof rack like shown on the black truck, but have not put it back on. It carries a surprising amount of gear that is easy to access.
    In the back, I store everything in large/medium aluminum mount out boxes. On the roof, the small ones.
    H3T 002 (Small) (2). H3T 004 (Small) (2). H3T with Gobi Ranger. Mount out boxes.

15. Dark Jester

Dark Jester Quester...

It may be considered a "dressed up" chassis, but the suspension system is HUMMER as is the 4x4 system; locking differential control system, etc. Service access is no issue and cargo capacity, for me, is adequate. Plus, the low profile cab offers better clearance even with such good ground clearance.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  16. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

@Dark Jester, I noticed your front license plate on your truck, I am an original born and raised OBX'er.Grand father was a "High Tider!" Are you located near the OBX?

17. Dark Jester

Dark Jester Quester...

No, I now live in TX. I got that plate on one of my many trips to OBX when I was stationed at Camp Lejeune.
    I think I bought 5 or 6 and replaced them as they got beat up. I'm on my last one. I started out renting near Kill Devil Hills, but over the years migrated down to Rodanthe...

Sapper John likes this.
  18. Oddmar

Oddmar Monkey+

If i was driving the vehicle in my avatar, i'd just push all the little Hummers and Fords out of my way... [stayback]

Yard Dart likes this.
  1. Clownbear69
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Yard Dart
  4. BenP
  5. Legion489
  6. Tikka
  7. Minuteman
  8. LoganW
  9. Minuteman
  10. Minuteman
  11. jim