Survival School Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by AxesAreBetter, Jun 2, 2019.

1. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

In addition to writing during my spare time during the day, I would like to start teaching outdoors skills on the weekend. I am currently fine tuning a curriculum, but I am having some issues on the marketing/sales pitch end of things.
    I am wanting to focus more on the skills and mindset for longer term survival, though I am going to offer the "standard" classes on the basics (fire/water/etc) that form the foundation of the skillset. I have seen too often where the "survival" mentality fails, and want to move on to teaching something that encompasses "survival", but helps lead you past that if you want to, or if your situation requires it.

The classes I have in mind would serve to both expand the skillset of someone in a survival scenario, but also offer options to people interested in bushcraft and primitive living, or wanting to get into outdoor activities in general.

One of the big arguments I am having is whether to market myself as a survival school, or primitive living, or some sort of bushcraft school, or just what to call it. I am comfortable with my skills set, but I am not sure what name will best get across what our goal is in the marketing.

Borrego, Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  2. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

Proceed carefully with your marketing and naming; those are important to your business survival.
    Consider offering classes at different survival skill levels and also classes that involve longer term survival techniques that you wouldn't need to secure rescue in 72 hours, but might be of interest to someone wanting to homestead off grid.
    Your basic survival course should be your bread and butter, but to diversify will help insure your survival as a business.
    Best of luck!

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Think SERE perhaps? At least the ability to expand into that area, might be you'll need some qualified help for that.

Marketing is not a trivial task at the start of any enterprise, go carefully and be sure you aren't treading on existing toes.

Gator 45/70, Thunder5Ranch and SB21 like this.
  4. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

That is the direction I foresee a lot of my early/local business, based on feedback I am getting. A lot of people with most of the basics looking for the longer 48hrs to 3 week skills and mentality. .

Oltymer and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I do not have a for sure SERE ready, but I am including SERE applicable info in each course.

Thinking about setting up a survey so that we can place people in the correct class.

techsar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

I know very little about teaching a survival class. But I know allot about marketing.
    The people that want your money will tell you advertising and placing ads, maybe even on social media.
    Not that's all fine and good for books, but you are wanting to things.
    1. Trust
    2. Reliable ( meaning you will do what you say and provide what you say)

I personally would hit, Gun, Hunting and outdoor shows and have a booth. Maybe hit supply shops and offer to teach a
    free intro class. The business you are looking at will be hands on, and will take that to get clients.
    I offered service in my business, all at different levels for clients. You meat and Potatoes could be the new and inexperienced.
    I made money and was successful at what I did because I did it with knowledge, and I did it better then anyone else in the business.

Sounds like a great venture.

Oltymer, techsar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

"SERE applicable info in each course"
    That is a good thing to incorporate into survival training.

Trying to get actual SERE type training in place...get some pro's to assist. Lot's of liability for civi's trying to train to SERE type level of training...... not recommended unless you have been that kind of trainer formally in a mil. environment. ;)

8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Teach attitude first.
    This will be the hardest thing many have not done
    Attitude wins hands down every time!

9. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

"Contemporary training for an uncertain future"

Sure to garner interest without red-flag words such as "survival" "gun" or "preparedness."

AxesAreBetter, Gator 45/70 and ghrit like this.
  10. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Good luck.

I tell the story of a UofA class (Anthropology 101) that was having trouble getting enough students signing up to 'make' the course.

The prof asked for suggestion on renaming the course, maybe to expand the interest group.

"Post-Atomic Attack 101" got a lot of folks to sign up, but political pressure later forced a change to
    "Living in the Stone Age:A perspective of Ancient Culture"

Which is a long-winded way of saying that you should define the core curriculum and be prepared to post/publish a solid syllabus for any course.

I would think a good course would include how to prepare (kill, clean, cook, clean up ) both a rabbit and a chicken with related disease and sanitation issue set. One of each per student.

There will be a lot of competition for the few that might attend. It might be part of any marketing to show expedience/training you have - sort of a CV ,to explain why your training would be 'better' than a competitors offering.

Once more, good luck on your endeavor.

11. Borrego

Borrego Monkey

Lots of good points above....good idea nowadays what with the widespread acceptance of the whole 'survival' thang.....I wish there was a class like that around me, I'd take it to complement/work on my skills and heck, just for fun!
    Let us know how it goes, and Good luck!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

You can't have a marketing plan until you know who you're marketing to. Creating a curriculum without knowing your intended target demographic is doing it backwards.

Are you going for outdoorsy types who live ordinary lives but look for adventure on the weekends?

Beginning survialists/preppers trying to find their way?

Established survivalists/preppers looking to go to the next level?

"Mall Ninjas" who just want to look cool and "play Army"? (You don't have to respect them to have them as clients. Their money is as good as anyone's).

Once you know who you're going after, you can develop courses and market them accordingly. If you're going to serve more than one group, you will need different marketing strategies and probably different curriculum for each. Recreational outdoorsmen don't want to learn how to dig a well. Survivalists/preppers probably do. Mall Ninjas will want to play with tacti-cool hardware and don't necessarily care if they learn anything meaningful as long as they get some badass looking selfies to post on social media.

You have to identify what pushes people's buttons. And then push them.

Your personal story and qualifications are a big part of the marketing plan. Why are you qualified to teach others? What makes you an "expert"? Why should anyone enroll in your class and give you their money?

Since there are no college degrees, certifications, or licensing for survivalist schools, there is no formal benchmark to judge an instructor. This is both good and bad. Good, because the profession has a low barrier to entry and you can do everything your way. Bad, because that low barrier makes it easy for incompetent quacks to get in the game.

You are not only competing with quacks, the playing field isn't level because they don't follow the same ethical standards as you.

If you are unknown in the field, one easy way to test the waters is to instruct a few classes for an established organization. This will give you a feel for what people want while building teaching experience and personal credibility.

Good luck!

13. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

@Tevin Is right.

You might make a good living breaking it down.

How to clean your weapon for ultimate reliability!

How to sight in your weapon to hit that target!

How to filter water in an emergency at home or on the road!

CPR and AED training

Stop the Bleed training

How to navigate by the stars campout weekend!

Best ways to start a fire in an emergency, with special skills options!

Small boat skills on a river 101

Concealed handgun training with certification!

Ect..... you could make a living being the first step guy for the rest of the industry

Gator 45/70, Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I think you ought to target children first. One of the best memories from my childhood was summer camp. Our local Catholic church had a summer program for school age children. It was a reasonably cost summer camp that lasted 2 weeks. Almost every kid in town went. The counselors were parishioners and nuns who taught outdoor skills. We made shelters, cooking pits plus crafts from nature. There was also a rope course and fitness activities. Teaching kids skills that the boy scouts & girl scouts now neglect may be something parents would be interested in. Parents tend to be interested in what their children are learning plus Mom are good at spreading the word on things. A summer skills camp for children or teens could lead to classes for adults.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7