Recipe Survival Soup

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Motomom34, Jan 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I do not like rice and I found this Survivor Soup that has both beans and rice. Preppers have long stored beans and rice but what do you do with them was always my question. I have lots of pinto beans but I really like this combo that will help add variety to your diet.

Recipe #1 Rice & Beans Soup by Seasoned Citizen Prepper

Measure out
    8 oz (1 cup) of rice
    2 oz (1/4 cup) of red kidney beans
    2 oz (1/4 cup) of pearl barley
    2 oz (1/4 cup of lentils
    1 oz (1/8 cup) of split green beans
    1 oz (1/8 cup) of chick peas/garbanzo’s

Chicken Bouillon and Salt Optional but highly recommended!

Put the ingredients into 6 quarts of water, bring to a boil and then simmer for 2 hours. When I cooked this it didn’t thicken up for me in two hours, but once I turned the burner off and let it sit for a while it did thicken up into a very hearty soup!

If you decide to make this soup, I would suggest going to 1/4 to 1/2 of the recipe and adding liberal amounts of salt and chicken bouillon. Think of it as a very hearty chicken and rice soup with beans, etc. adding protein. This is a very basic recipe that you can add nearly any meat, including jerky, too. It will fill your belly and stick to your ribs. MsKYprepper said it is especially good with cornbread.

I bought all of the ingredients (3 lb. bag of rice and 1 lb. bags of the rest) for <$10 at Walmart – purchased in larger quantities, it would cost far less for the same amount, but I wanted to try it before I committed myself to larger quantities, and I’m glad I did! If necessary, I’m pretty sure it would feed us (2 adults) for at least a week, maybe two! No, it may not have all the calories you need, but it is meant to be a base for your foraging other foodstuffs from your garden or wherever.

Please follow the link for the pictures and other info-
    SURVIVAL SOUP: Recipe #1 Rice & Beans

I am sure you can vegetable or beef bullion but I know in my family the kids prefer the chicken.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    Withak, Hanzo, chelloveck and 6 others like this.
  2. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Wow, @Motomom34, we were both thinking about soup...lol

I have some of this (beans & rice) on hand. Thank you for the great recipe. My broth recipe would work really well with this.

3. duane

duane Monkey+++

I agree, the bone broth recipe would go great with this and I look forward to trying both recipes soon. I might even add a little hot sauce, but then that is one of my food groups. Wife had a multiple heart bypass and salt is a no no. She is allowed 1200 milligrams a day and that tends to be a little bland. Thank you both for these tips.

pearlselby and Tully Mars like this.
  4. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

chelloveck likes this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

When a friend needed a care package, I included much of those items. They are staples. Rice, beans, lentils, salt, soy sauce, etc. And as you say, you can round it out with meats and veggies.

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I love this woman, these are great easy practical jar soups from dried ingredients that are easy to use and make.

She makes a cream base soup and shows you how to add alot of different ingredients to make different soups

She also talks about how to make gravy, pasta using this cream Soup base. This is brilliant

chelloveck likes this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I thought survival soup was a picture of a chicken dropped in a pot of water.

chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

chelloveck and MountainMariner like this.
  1. Ganado
  2. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  3. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes
  4. OldDude49
    Thread

dirty rice

any input on rice brand quality?
    Thread by: OldDude49, Mar 27, 2019, 13 replies, in forum: General Discussion
  5. DKR
  6. DKR
  7. Ganado
  8. Homunculi
  9. Bishop
    Ingredients: Here you go. [MEDIA] Instructions: Image:
    Thread by: Bishop, Oct 29, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Recipes
  10. tacmotusn
  11. Motomom34
  12. Thunder5Ranch
  13. Merkun
  14. Bishop