Survival tip of the day (Ongoing Participation Thread)

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Fight intestinal infections with acorns! You can make a medicinal tea by brewing them in hot water. The tea alone will help you fight intestinal problems like dysentery and cholera. You can also use the tea to help treat mouth ulcers.

50 Survival Tips and Tricks for the outdoors (PASSION)

GrayGhost, Zimmy, Sapper John and 2 others like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Rule of 3's. Memorize this!! This can save your life. Knowing this you can address the most important first thus increasing your change of survival.

winter-survival-tips-threes.

3. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Aloe vera will take the itch out of most anything. Even chiggers.

Zimmy, Marck and Motomom34 like this.
  4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

A dead snake can still bite you, even if the head is removed. (Just don't get careless)

john316, chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

The other Rule of threes...
    Learn about everything you can... you won't loose your knowledge as easy as you can loose equipment...
    For those of you so inclined keep a good relationship with your higher spiritual being (I'm being PC here)
    What ever happens keep your sense of humor intact

if you follow these three items you will have a better chance of surviving the first three previously posted...

YMMV

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  7. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    3M-TA3, Pax Mentis, Ganado and 3 others like this.
  8. chelloveck

I think it a rule of thumb in austere conditions where rain, low temperatures and wind chill will all contribute to lowering body core temperatures to hazardous levels. Obviously that 3 hours will plummet to much less in sub zero temperatures during a raging snow storm.

Plenty of people have died in adverse weather conditions by pushing on to a seemingly achievable objective, instead of spending some time building an effective shelter, and waiting out the hostile weather until conditions moderate. Night time is not the best time to build a shelter....better to make a shelter before dark, than trying to cobble together an inferior shelter in the dark when it becomes apparent that the travel objective is not going to be achievable within the expected time frame.

Yard Dart, Witch Doctor 01 and oldawg like this.
  9. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Got it. Good survival tip "do not miss the bus";)

10. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Or 3 hours without the sun off your butt. I've seen people go down faster than that.

Witch Doctor 01 and chelloveck like this.
  11. chelloveck

I understand where you are coming from, but when all is said and done, in actuality, all of those categories of survival necessity are situational, and not fixed. The rule of threes should be used as a generic central tendency within an envelope of time where the outlying extremes may in fact be very, or somewhat shorter or longer than the memetic magical number of 3.

30 days without food: People have died in much less time than 30 days without food....think diabetics
    People have survived without food for very much longer than 30 days, depending on state of general health, the amount of stored energy reserves and (how it is metabolised) and so forth

3 minutes without air. That too is quite variable....though the time envelope is very much narrower than for food....there still is quite a bit of variability, depending on circumstances. Cold Water drowning victims have been resuscitated upwards of an hour after breathing had stopped, without significant ill effect. An Expert on Cold-Water 'drownings' Says Some of the Crash Victims Might Have Been Saved : People.com

3 days without water...survival without water is also considerably variable. Circumstantial factors might include weather (temperature, humidity,); degree of physical activity, and when active (day or night); diet (foods high in protein use more body hydration to metabolise than is the case with carbohydrates; whether injuries have been sustained resulting in fluid loss; The availability of shelter and suitable clothing to minimise dehydration....the list of variables go on and on.

3 seconds without thinking....obviously many people blunder throughout their whole lives without much, if any thinking, without significant ill effect. However acting (in a panic) without thinking, can kill some people stone dead in less than three seconds in a survival situation!. (often the case when people are electrocuted whilst attempting to rescue electrocution victims).

3 seconds of thought, at critical moments, may have resulted in avoiding the survival situation completely. ;)

The memetic payload of the rule of threes, is not so much about the amount of clock ticking taking place from onset of survival emergency until the clock stops and one becomes dead....it is about helping people trying to survive to work out a set of priorities in focussing one's planning, actions and resource acquisition, to stretch the survival envelope for as long as possible until rescue is secured....either by self rescue or rescue by others.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    Rocky Road Lerp and Yard Dart like this.
  12. chelloveck

True...particularly when pina coladas are close at hand. ;)

[​IMG]

13. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I've been wanting a large map of my county but could not find one. I went to the county appraisal district office and the map man there printed me a 1.25 inch to 1 mile scale map big enough to cover half a wall for $15. Up to date as of now showing every road, creek, pond and pig trail in the county. I showed him where I lived on the map and he said "You're the one with that large garden in the creek bottom". My garden cannot be seen from the road so I asked him how he knew that. He just smiled and said, "are you kidding me"? Then he pointed to the aerial survey pictures (not Google maps) displayed on his computer screen. There is no longer anyway to hid a BOL from big brother.

GrayGhost, Zimmy, ditch witch and 3 others like this.
  14. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Probably never was. Wool removed, I hate to say.

15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Some other interesting facts about hydrogen peroxide:

It is found in all living material.
    Your white blood cells naturally produce hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) to fight bacteria and infections.
    Fruit and vegetables naturally produce hydrogen peroxide. This is one of the reasons why it is so healthy to eat fresh fruit and vegetables.
    It is found in massive dosages in the mother’s first milk, called colostrum, and is transferred to the baby to boost their immune system.
    It is found in rain water because some of the H20 in the atmosphere receives an additional oxygen atom from the ozone (O3) and this H2O2 makes plants grow faster.
    Next to Apple Cider Vinegar, hydrogen peroxide ranks up there as one of the best household remedies.

De-skunking solution. Combine 1 quart 3% H2O2, 1/4 cup baking soda, 1 teaspoon Dawn dish detergent, 2 quarts warm water.

Prepper Haven • View topic - HYDROGEN PEROXIDE MAGIC!

16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Nice post!!! I didn't know all those uses. TBH I dont think anything works on skunk. Everytime the dog gets wet, its smells like skunk again for up to a year.

GrayGhost likes this.
  17. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I live part of the time at my BOL and seldom have visitors other than those in my group. A visitor would be hard pressed to notice my preps other than solar and water catchment. Everything else is hidden, some behind false walls. If for some reason I don't make it there for the after, I have prepared a retreat operations plan. I was wondering if others have done the same or are planning to. If I am not there half the preps would not be found and they would have to figure out how to make it all work.

18. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Being retired I have a lot of time to think. I was thinking about clothing at the BOL for the group. Some may arrive with only the clothes on their back. One thing I have done is go to thrift stores and purchase used scrubs. They come in five sizes, X-Small, Small, Medium, Large and X-Large. They are easy to wash, quick to dry and comfortable to wear in the summer and with long johns could be worn in the winter inside. I have purchased 48 sets in all sizes for the female members of the group should they need them. I pay as little as $.50 a piece on the sell racks at times. Some are brand new with the tags still on them. I just store them in a big tub with moth balls in the attic.

19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Safety pins can be turned into fish hooks. You could leave the pin open and straight, or bend the pin into a gentle curve.

Rocky Road Lerp and Yard Dart like this.
  20. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I saw the other day where someone also made fish hooks out of the pop can pull tab.

Rocky Road Lerp, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. hot diggity
  3. HK_User
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. chelloveck
  10. hot diggity
  11. Survivalmike
  12. 3M-TA3