Survival tip of the day (Ongoing Participation Thread)

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Sep 20, 2015.

1. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

image.

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and Yard Dart like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

survival motoo.

Gator 45/70 and T. Riley like this.
  3. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

4. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

TR

Very interesting. Thx

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Live by the rule- A half a tank of gas is an empty tank of gas. It is easy to always keep your tank at 1/2 to full. If SHTF in your area last thing you want to do is have to gas up.

6. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I try to teach this to my girls always but the youngest doesn't get it. She was headed to town last week and I ask her if she had gas and she said "sure, it says 4 miles till I'm empty". Needless to say. We had another talk.

7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Knowledge Weights Nothing

*just make sure you know how to use it.

Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  8. Aeason

Aeason Monkey

When I was young I would go frog gigging I made my gigs from peices of fence wire just flattened one end and shape with a file fasten to a cane pole.

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Love me some barbecued frog leg on the pit!

10. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

speaking of fence wire...fence pliers should be a part of any survivial tool kit

[​IMG]

11. Aeason

Aeason Monkey

Never had them BBQ only fried like chicken got to try that.

12. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I carry Aviation Snips in mine, along with a few other things. VERY useful.

13. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Just watched a clip on this device. Pairs with a iOS or Android phone via Bluetooth allowing encrypted offline ( no cell or wifi) texting up to 4 miles and location services. Seems useful in BOL Thoughts? GoTenna.com
    image. image.

14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

So far it is VaporWare.... They now say they will be available in 1st Quarter 2016..... I have two on order but it has been almost a year now.... There are MURS Devices, and are VHF with 2 Watts Maximum, and Fixed Antennas.... Yes they will be a good device for SHTF, local AoO, Digital Comms, IF they are used with Encrypted Apps, where the KeySets are local, on each end of the Link... Other wise they are not any different than a FRS/GMRS Device..... Security Wise....

There is a thread in the Comms forum from when this Idea first hit the Internet World....

15. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I hope they work out and do have useable encryption. I think I read somewhere the Red Cross has a similar device for disaster use. Right now I have three field telephones and 1,800 meters of wire. Old school, but they work. Thanks @BTPost i will look up the post.

16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The Encryption needs to be on the device connected to the GoTenna via BlueTooth... I was thinking of Apps like Apple's FaceTime, and Messages... Or a VoIP App that has built in encryption of the DataStream...

17. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

...if you also want voice comms in the same package, peruse beartooth...pre-orders supposedly in Feb '16. Allegedly has a 2000mah battery for extended phone life, pairs with iphones and androids...last I saw it was still waiting on fcc approval.
    Really would like to see actual specs on either...but I think the gotenna's 50 mile (open country) claim is going to be similar to the 35 mile gmrs claims (w/o a repeater)...non existent.

18. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

Keep a small O$H!T kit on your person when out or at work. You have to make it back to your vehicle or home or your supplies are useless. I have several friends who have excellent get home bags in their vehicles and a nice set up at their home but carry nothing to get the to the larger stock pile.I talked with one of the guys the other day and it never crossed his mind. Plus depending on the situation going back to the vehicle might not be an option

BTPost likes this.
  19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

When stuck in the snow or stranded in your car, make sure the tailpipe is clear. Same with your home. If you get a big snow storm make sure your furnace vent pipes are clear.

20. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

If you have not tried these jump starter pack you should. I have a 400 amp and 600 amp(peak) that I got from a vendor that sells them in Cali.
    image.

They can jump start a car/truck several times. Package says 20 but i have not tested that yet.
    Small and light weight it also has USB ports for charging devices and a bag of different tips for most any phone/tablet.

I have run my 857D from mine for well over an hour just to see how it would work.

You can charge via cig lighter in the vehicle or via the wall wart.

http://www.amazon.com/PowerAll-PBJS12000R-Rosso-Portable-Starter/dp/B00D42AFS8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_107_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51i03RSpgRL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1P6N0G0XQ394T4KCTMC9

ghrit and kellory like this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. hot diggity
  3. HK_User
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. chelloveck
  10. hot diggity
  11. Survivalmike