Survival tip of the day (Ongoing Participation Thread)

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Sep 20, 2015.

1. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

As I watch my dogs doing their thing in the snow covered backyard, I am reminded of a valuable piece of wisdom my dad gave me when I was little, advice his father once gave him.

Don't eat yellow snow.

Motomom34, chimo, chelloveck and 2 others like this.
  2. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

And also good for disinfecting surfaces, like food prep surfaces....

Ganado likes this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Not much of a survival tip but an interesting way to dry herbs. I think you would have to tumble the herbs a bit so the middle of the pile gets dried properly.
    12369087_1187006067995559_343578892054036081_n.

GrayGhost likes this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@Motomom34 This method might not work well in a damp environment but in a desert environment it works great

GrayGhost and Motomom34 like this.
  6. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Yeah. We have a big problem with things rotting here. Still haven;t figured out how to dry anything, other than the smoker.

Ganado likes this.
  7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Solar hotbox.

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

dehydrator?

9. kellory

The cheap element only type would use very little power but they are very slow.

10. jlutzcurtis

jlutzcurtis Monkey

That's a great tip. Never heard of it before but glad to learn about though.

Motomom34 likes this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

As a survivalist, you must live in 3 realms:
    1. THE PAST: You must learn from the mistakes, successes, trials and errors you’ve had in the past in order to grow and advance your knowledge and skills.
    2. THE PRESENT: You must coordinate all of your skills, knowledge and resources in the present to stay alive.
    3. THE FUTURE: You must always be looking toward and planning for the future. This involves predicting what might happen and also planning for the unexpected.
    by~ Creek Stewart

12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

About Creek Stewart –

Motomom34 likes this.
  13. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Okay, I've got a quick one. You're not eating your regular food, and you've got something stuck in your teeth that is driving you crazy. Tooth picks won't work and you have no floss or tooth brush, but you do have a reasonably clean plastic grocery bag folded up in your pocket since they have so many uses and are nearly weightless. Today the edge of the bag is going work surprisingly well as a field expedient dental floss to get that annoying piece of food from between your teeth.

I see dental readiness as a huge issue if there are no dentists available.

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  14. kellory

As I have a broken tooth that catches something at every meal, I do carry toothpicks in my pack and every vehicle, however...I have had to use a drinking straw for that purpose, and it works well. Chew it flat on the end and slide it between. It works.

Motomom34 likes this.
  15. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

gotenna.
    In December I purchased a pair of GoTenna and got around to playing with them this weekend. My BOL is a 47 acre rectangle with another 30 acre next to me that belong to a friend in my informal “group”. The house at the BOL sets about ¼ of the length of the property from the front about in the middle of the two tracts. I tested it from that location to various other locations on the property and the adjacent property. The Gotenna was hung on a post on the front porch and I was inside the house with my phone. The signal covered the entire range of the two properties through heavy East Texas pine timber. Though the security is still a question, I am confident it is more secure that other radio communication available to me and I may buy four more as money allows for covert local communications should the need arise.

kellory, Ganado and BTPost like this.
  16. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Acquire and learn to use hand tools! So many "preppers" out there have no idea which end of a screwdriver to use, and I almost never see a multi-screwdriver and an adjustable wrench mentioned in anyone's bag contents.

GrayGhost and Motomom34 like this.
  17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

FYI for canning-

Can I reuse the Classico® jar for home canning?

No. A coating is applied at the glass plant to reduce scratching and scuffing. If scratched, the jar becomes weaker at this point and can more easily break. This would increase the risk of the jar breaking when used for canning. Also, the lighter weight of our current jar could make it unsafe for home canning.

I have lots of these jars and glad I looked before I decided to use them for canning purposes.

Ganado and chimo like this.
  18. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I wish someone would sell store canned goods in real Mason or Ball jars. I would pay extra for it. That's how my grandmother selected her flour at the store, by the print of the sack. And her sweet feed for her cow. Every year we got pjs for Christmas that smelled like horse and mule feed.

DKR, kellory, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  19. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I didn't know that...thanks so much for the heads up!

Motomom34 likes this.
  20. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I am not sure how many folks out there that call themselves preppers, do not know how to use basic hand tools let alone more advanced hand tools. I know that in each of my BOB or GHB's, I have Gerber multi-tools that have the basics on them. Within each of our rigs, is a full hand tool set....amongst many other items to help one along the way either with, or without that vehicle. :)

GrayGhost likes this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. hot diggity
  3. HK_User
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. chelloveck
  10. hot diggity
  11. Survivalmike