Survival tip of the day (Ongoing Participation Thread)

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I swap out the water in my car every 2 weeks in the summer because of the heat and I store a gallon in a cooler. still needs changing

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  2. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I can't look at evaporated milk without thinking "glue." An old communist told me that you could stick flyers and political posters to just about anything with it. He said once it dried you'd have to sand blast it off.

techsar, Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Never pass up any discarded materials. Examine every piece of litter you find to determine ways to put it to use. A piece of a tin can or broken bottle glass can be used as a cutting edge.
    bud.

Gator 45/70 and Zimmy like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

If you find yourself in emergency wilderness survival mode, the elastic band of your underwear makes a perfect slingshot for shooting small game.

Gator 45/70 and Zimmy like this.
  5. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Do not let your wife know the true cost of your firearms,ammo ,cigarettes or bourbon.

6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I seriously doubt that the elastic band in "my" under ware can perform as a sling shot.

7. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

The old David sling is tough if you haven't practiced in advance. You may be better off gnawing on old boots rather than making a sling from one. I would use the odd boot that's otherwise useless without a mate. The boot tongue makes an almost preformed pouch and the laces make nice long cords. I really prefer to loop the fixed end around my wrist and let it fall across my palm and between my fingers. Anybody who ever had a stone get snagged in the pouch when throwing will understand why I no longer tie around a finger. I make my pouch holes well inside the edge of the material and roll up the excess to prevent tearing.

Leaving the fixed end long also gives me the length necessary to quickly tie it to a staff, and use this staff-sling for throwing heavier stones, or a really wicked pea gravel final protective fire at close range attackers. The staff sling adds directional safety, but is more a heavy missile thrower than a precision weapon.

8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

This...crawfish homes,Spit down as many as you can,Something bitter works faster like tobacco juice.
    Sit and wait,When the crawfish pokes his head out,Grab him and any others you can.
    You now have fishing bait.
    Hook em in the tail and allow the crawfish to crawl across the bottom.
    Bass,bullfrogs,catfish love these baby's!

crawfish holes 015.JPG

Zimmy, oldawg, Ganado and 3 others like this.
  9. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Another simple glue is egg whites...

Gator 45/70, oldman11 and hot diggity like this.
  10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

we use to blow these up with firecrackers.... idk why that was fun as a kid but it was

I have to say, everytime Moto posts a new way of thinking some of you guys just post a critique. Why is that? Why can't you post a critique and a new solution? Are your minds in a rut that says only ... he'll no that won't work? Part of getting old it getting calcified mentally. Consider you might be calcified into thinking only negatively instead of being solution oriented.

Can you think of another tip for survival?

A hoolahoop makes a great fixing net holder for seining

GrayGhost and Zimmy like this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

It is my job to critique ,if I don't critique I get the bends .
    So what do you use for seining, panty hose ? do they even make that any more ?

12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Crawfish Bloody Mary,Cures a lot of things
    A new solution,A new critique!

bloody.

13. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Gator that's just wrong! I don't see any corn on the cob dude!

Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and arleigh like this.
  15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Thanks for the link .
    I have fabrics set aside for barter as well as personal use.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. rep1270

rep1270 Monkey+++

Vinegar is a great way to take the bite out of sunburn. I use tepid water and white vinegar (does not smell as bad) to pat down the area of the burn. I uses it on my grandson last year and it worked and an LPN had never heard of it. It works great for kids just before they go to bed because it gives them a chance to sleep before the burn wakes them and the parents can get some sleep to. I have used this for many yeass and it works great. Ralph

Motomom34, oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

My grandparents used coal oil for burns and most of everything else.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Yep, Grandmaw was a big believer in coal oil for almost everything ...and then there's castor oil...

oldawg likes this.
  19. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Were can you find coal oil these days? Good for cuts,burns,cancer,blisters,your hair,stomach,clean tools,keep saws from binding,dogs,cows,horses,settle dust,spring cleaning,guns,rusty bolts,cleaning saws,stop bleeding,spring tonic,and a lot of other things. I was raised on coal oil,sassafras tea,castor oil,chicken broth,a tablespoon of early times and a great big leather strap. As I got older I had to take bigger doses of Early Times(doctors orders). I left one thing out,tobacco snuff that was put on open wounds. We kids learned early not to go to grandma with a cut or scrape as she always had a dip of snuff in her mouth,you think alcohol burns wait until you get snuff in a cut.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Coal oil is another name for kerosene. Your hardware store will have it, or lamp oil. Same stuff. I would be unsurprised to find that diesel would work as well.

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. hot diggity
  3. HK_User
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. chelloveck
  10. hot diggity
  11. Survivalmike