Survival with body armor?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by sniper-66, Aug 17, 2006.

1. TexasDoc

TexasDoc Monkey+++ Founding Member

ok, As it seems I am one that has been shot wearing a Vest. As Sniper 66 stated even wearing a vest well get you hurt, speaking as one that was I had 4 broken ribs and punctured right lung and interal bleeding from the lung. not to say this is the norm but to say its a good possibleity that it will be. Like a stated before the shooting I was involded with ,I was still able to function and return fire. I can say this a 357 at less then 25feet HURTS and hurts bad.

the Vests they are issuing now are better then the ones I was wearing.
    the also offer a plate that will stop a rifle round but I don't want to be one wearing it when it does hit .

Vests are a good investment if you have call for one ,it will save lives and yes the cost of one os not never the price of a Human life.

Doc

2. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Got a trivia question about wearing vest. If you are out in the heat, say 102, what temperature would you expect the inside of the vest to be? Less than 102; the same, 102; or hotter than 102, and if so, by how much?

3. TexasDoc

TexasDoc Monkey+++ Founding Member

To answer your question, is Remember Doc's Rule . On hot days you made Doc get out of the A/C car you where going to get a Ticket or GO to Jail. there was no middle at all .

now to answer your question, if it was 102 outside your temp in the Vest would about the same as outside as the sweat you made will cool you abit that's way you wear a undershirt that is made from Cotton and a outer tee over the vest to help cool you on hot days.

the Sheriff Dept. I worked at had a A/C type hose that you could place in the Vest to help cool you off on those hot days.

Like i stated before, if I have to wear a vest again, and i am working Traffic you better not make me stand in the heat to long as I will find a way to place you in my nice cool car and take you to my nice cool Jail and spend a lot of time booking you in .

Doc

4. sniper-66

OK, got one for the same temp, anyone else?

Texas Doc, question. If I look in my rear view mirror and see you getting out in this God forsaken heat, would I be better off fleeing and making you chase me? Sounds like the beating would be the same? :D

5. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

What a comforting thought it is that we are being protected and served by such dedicated folks in this land of the free and home of the brave. it's no damned wonder there are almost as many lawyers as mexicans in Texas today.:eek:

6. sniper-66

OK, no more takers. Yesterday while out on the range, I put a indoor / outdoor thermometer in one of the pockets of my vest and then run the "outdoor" sensor into the vest about mid chest. Here is what happened.
    [​IMG]

This was after three hours of wearing the vest. The inside temp remained at 98 for almost the entire time while he outside hovered around 102 to 103. I thought the thing was broken, so once, I took the probe out and it promptly started to even out with the outside temp, put it back and it went back to 97. Took awhile, but then I figured it out. If your body is sweating properly and the rest of your body is cooling, your core temp will stay at 98. Obviously, I was cooling otherwise and the vest was insulating my torso from the 102 heat.
    Now for the caveate, This is a OTV Interceptor armor with hard plates. If you had a thinner vest, it probably wouldn't have insulated quite as well.
    Thought I would pass this interesting bit of trivia on!

7. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

COOL! errrr I mean good job! Sniper info that was needed.

8. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Interesting.

9. stimpy117

stimpy117 Monkey+++

Well I guess you guys would know...........I keep a vest in the truck for those of us who don't know everything.

10. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Interesting old post I found looking for a link to bullet proof vests and backpacks so thought would bump it up.

11. CBMS

CBMS Looking for a safe place

Lol good call on bumping this one! Cant wait to order my stuff. I am reminded by an old saying. "If it aint Bulletproof, its slowing you down."

12. andy

andy Monkey+++

well i'll add my two cents...
    i hate my vest they missrably hot, and it almost takes two people to get into it and closed up. but i would never want to get into a shoot out with out it. but just like everything else there is a right tool for the job. if SHTF i can see opting for having it and there would be times i might leave it behind... i have also worn the under the uniform 2nd chance vests at my last command and again they might not be comfortable but if it saves my life you won't hear me complaining
    CIMG0206cammo.JPG

13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Interesting camo face paint --

14. andy

andy Monkey+++

thanks i can spray digital paint i just can't resize the dern things

15. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Ome of the stuff they have on there I figure wouldnt be bad other than the heat. They even have regular jackets and bookbags that are IIIA or optionaly better.

16. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

Andy;

Are you a Coasty or USN?

OGM

17. andy

andy Monkey+++

Navy

18. toemag

toemag Monkey++

I didn't know that the Navy had toy's like that...

Tony

19. andy

andy Monkey+++

lol yup, i have gotten to play with some cool toys out here...
    [gun]

20. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

[winkthumb] I'm a former HM3.

OGM

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7