Survival with body armor?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by sniper-66, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I'm with you. It sucks royally. I remember wearing class IIA in civilian attire and it was hot and cumbersome after a while. Nevermind this military crap I have to wear all the time. With ammo and equip, it weighs a solid 80 lbs! Forget about firing accurately or even acquiring rapidly. I wish these military brass-holes would just STOP with the ridiculous adaptations, or at least accept the fact that (large) body armor (a defensive piece of equip.) is NOT for active offensive assaults. I like to model myself after how I was initially trained, having the unique experience of working with some Spetsnaz. [patr]

After all of the 130+ heat and guzzling gallon after gallon of H2O just to stay alive...I just have this awesome desire to never again wear this garbage. [beer]

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Brokor [boozingbuddies] good too see you around here still

3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

You too, Quig! I will always be here it seems.

That is...as long as ya'll do. ;)

4. andy

andy Monkey+++

OGM thank you for your service

i'm a MA2(newly frocked)
    but the love of my life, she's a HM3

[flag]

5. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

Back at you and the misses. [beer] I spent 5 years as a 3rd class, seems the USN doesn't like it when people tell them the facts/truth. [beat] My saying was they put a crow on my shoulder and I'm going to use untill I lose it. Then I got medically discharged, I would have retired last July.

OGM

6. andy

andy Monkey+++

ya not much has changed...

7. commoguy

commoguy Monkey++

theres alot of variables in there with the body armor. personally in a shtf scenario it would be a great advantage but could turn into a serious disadvantage if you became too cocky. as for the camelbak when i was doing patrols last year i didnt wear mine youll have all the bottled water you could ever want, coolers, and free ice. also as you being a crew chief i would be very willing to bet you arent going to do much driving at all.

8. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Welcome to the board commoguy, but you have already made a bad ASS -U-ME mistake. I don't ride, I drive em.

9. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Krieg Hündchen

I have personally seen him fly brotha....those pretty black squares in that bar seems to confirm his position in that drivers seat.

10. tinkerbell

tinkerbell Monkey++

I wear body armor at work. My employer paid for it 2 years ago when I was preggo, so I didn't wear it right away. It is very hot in the summer but I wouldn't want to go without it. I wear level 2 from AMA. It was every officer's choice and I chose. I fell down a flight of cement steps at work last summer and if it weren't for the armor, well, I would have had severe injuries to my front. Being a woman, ouch! It is lightweight but if you get an itch underneath, ugh. Good luck getting to it. The website for it is: www.bodyarmor.com. The only reason I knew what to get is a co-worker is also my firearms instructor. He ordered it.

11. Nomad 2nd

Nomad 2nd Monkey+++

If I had 2 rifles and no BA, I would sell one to buy bodyarmor.

(And I've used it in the Corps and in civilian training classes.)

When rounds are flying... You won't be overconfident with or without it.

12. Devildog3531

Devildog3531 Monkey+++

A bit of a background story: During a reserve center wall locker raid; a shithead in supply decided he wanted my locker for some reason instead of grabbing one of the empty ones. He took my gear that was in there returned it to the cage and told our superiors that I needed a new issue. Ironically I keep my armor, personal med kit, and gas mask at home for the obvious reasons. I was re-issued everything, so I have doubles at home to train with:) Nothing "high-speed," my unit is still packing Vietnam era ALICE packs and flak jackets... but gear is gear.

That said I do run on a very frequent basis with the flak and a 10 lbs weight at port arms, all while in boots n' utes. I also do a standard Marine PFT with the flak every evening after it's cooled down, helps my scores:)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7