Survivalism...What does it mean to you?!

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by lonewolf88, Mar 11, 2016.

1. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

But, that's the point, not doing it, doing it with with the tools they had and and getting the same results. That knowledge is gone, just like my grandmother's chicken and dumpling recipe.

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

There is no point in duplication of thier techniques if we can surpass them. Why on earth would I knap stone tips for arrows, if I have steel plate ready made? There is no point to doing that.
    You could strip me naked, and transport me to a foreign place, with drop me off, and I would lose NO KNOWLEDGE at all. I would not become a cave man and start painting on walls, I would use MODERN methods to feed and clothe myself. Tools will be made from whatever is on hand, be it a rock and split stick, wrapped in vines, or the broken leaf spring of an abandoned truck. Fire, water and rocks will make a blade. Knowledge is not lost when the tools fail.

3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

How about we stay on topic gent's.......

ghrit likes this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

You stated your case in post #20. No point for further commentary. Get it yet?

5. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

6. lonewolf88

lonewolf88 Monkey

Ahh...yes. The age old, typical excuse/debate that seems more related to fear based hype than actual truth. There has been no proof or hard evidence that I have seen that ever has resulted in an open carrier being pegged as the first target. As far as kellorys statement goes.....what is wrong with being traditional? You take modernity for granted too much, Kellory. That will be your downfall. There is a huge gap and difference between being traditional and reverting to caveman ways. You have said you are broke, Kellory. Would it not be wise to learn flintknapping and such instead of constantly running out of money? It has already been determined that you and I think entirely different, Kellory. No sense of real pride or accomplishment comes from use of machines, it comes from creating great things by hand.

7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

There, you are wrong. I create machines, repair machines, and convert machines to do jobs they were not designed for.
    There is nothing about losing a tool, that equates to losing your mind. Your mind is your greatest survival tool. Tune it, sharpen it, learn to use it properly, and you will not have to revert to an earlier version of mankind. As for flint Knapp saving any money, I see no evidence of that. I have not bought a new arrow tip of any kind in at least 10 years, yet to mount a stone tip to one of my existing arrows or bolts , would destroy the arrow.

arleigh likes this.
  8. lonewolf88

lonewolf88 Monkey

You seem to like to say I am wrong a lot and/or assume things. You are wrong, Kellory. You seem to refuse to get the mindset behind traditional living. Contrary to your debates, I found a good source for low-no cost skills. Blacksmithing Workshops | Turtle Island Preserve , Hide Tanning Workshop | Turtle Island Preserve , and exclusively for the women, if they so choose, Woods Woman 101 | Turtle Island Preserve . Now, Kellory....I have solid basis that modernity is not and should not be the sole focus of a survivalist. For all I know, you could be a blind or stand hunter instead of a stalker.

9. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I used to use a blind when hunting ducks.. :ROFLMAO:

I didn't think the above would help the decaying, I did find it funny.

When we hunted deer with a group. Same as others, after I harvested a deer; I've been the driver for those who didn't get one yet.

I've also gone deeper in the woods than most and used the stalkers as drivers to move the deer to where I waited near one of their trails. Deer walk away from hunters who think they are stealthy and are no where close to it. Often the deer use their established trails to walk away from the noisy herd.

Ganado likes this.
  10. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Using drivers is SUPER illegal in my AO.

I am actually an open carry advocate. Never had any trouble, gotten out a a bit. I like, personally, being able to get to my gun quicker and easier, plus I can carry whatever gun I want, in whatever way I find most comfortable.

Plus, it is my RIGHT to do so, and my State supports that Right.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2016
    Tikka likes this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Survivalism to me is Noah
    Save what you can, because it is likely the undisciplined that created the problem, will not be lost in the process.

If I had the means, I would own/establish a zoo/preserve and community and maintain enough livestock and farm land to support it all.
    Post SHTF people will abuse the opportunity to hunt to extinction every thing living, including one another.
    1929 is proof.
    This world is significantly more crowded which means it will only happen quicker .

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2016
  12. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

My point was in avoiding all labels, labels lead to stereotypes and that leads to media attention and then we are either a reality tv show or a poster at the post office. Think I'll head back to my wine cellar now, I got a quart jar of muscadine that should be about ready to chug.

13. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

One of my favorite spots was on a hill overlooking a meadow. When hunters would enter the woods, often the deer would move through the meadow. Then it was a mad rush downhill to claim my deer before the others arrived. ;)

I'd bet so does everyone here. However, it is a choice to do or not.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7