Survivalmonkey sponsors Linux Mint

Discussion in 'GNU/Linux' started by melbo, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Jaybird

Jaybird Monkey+++

Melbo, I followed your instructions. On reboot I select the USB device to boot from. I get a screen saying
    UNetbootin
    Tab to edit
    Autoboot in 10 seconds
    It then counts down and starts the countdown over
    If I Tab I get this:
    /ubnkern inited = /ubninit

I seem to be missing something. Any ideas?

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I'm not in front of my system at the moment but have you tried Default or Unetbootin?
    It won't install anything.

3. Jaybird

Jaybird Monkey+++

Install went fine. When I try to boot it asks if I want to boot Unetbootin in Default. It won't boot then. When I tab on default I get the line to edit.

I didn't see any problem with the load, it is trying to boot, maybe something missing in the command line. No rush about it. Whenever you have time to look at it. I appreciate the help.

4. melbo

5. melbo

Sorry, Jaybird. I got tied up with some winterizing projects and haven't had a chance to look into unetbootin for you.

LM October Community Sponsors list is out: The Linux Mint Blog

6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

7. Brokor

Just some screenshots from my Mint 14 setup on the laptop:

I am enjoying the desktop configuration. Everything is so much better than Windows, it's no contest. With all the tools and software at my disposal, and the fact that it's stable...I won't ever be hitched to Microsoft again.
    Screenshot from 2012-11-21 16:20:45. Screenshot from 2012-11-21 16:21:33.

melbo likes this.
  8. melbo

Makes me feel like a proud papa!
    Congrats an a great looking/functioning setup.

9. Brokor

I can't create a thread, tried several times, so I will just post it here.

Every time I try to create a thread, I get "You do not have permission" warnings and I cannot proceed. Any forum. Sometimes with links. Removed the link, still got problems.
    Screenshot from 2012-11-21 17:29:02.

10. melbo

If you are trying to use Linux commands in your thread, see if you can wrap them in {}# code tags:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Brokor likes this.
  11. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

I'm using Mint 13 Mate, looked at Cinnamon, but like Mate better.

No longer have the old desktop in the barn to play on. My Granddaughter's computer crashed the HDD so I fixed it up for her to use. She is only 3 years old, so it'll do for now. I do have her old computer out there less a HDD so it's pretty much junk unless I find a hard drive. Not sure I'd spend much for one, old as it is, it's the old style.

The old HP laptop I started with Linux, way back when, is now duel booted with xp and mint 9. Newer versions like 11, 12, 13 will work on it, but I'm unable to get the wireless driver needed to make it work wireless. I mostly use that for the windows and power point programs I need.

My netbook is a Toshiba and I have mint 11 on it, but will soon be switching it probably to mint 13 for its long term support. Really don't like to mess with OS any more than I have to to keep support.

I have been out of the country and am now home. We went to Thailand. I have spent a lot of time writing about that on another forum. If you are a member of GIM2, you can read about it there. If there is interest here, I could also refine some it and post it somewhere here.

Glad the Monkey is now listed as supporter of Linux Mint.

12. Wild Trapper

Stayed up 'til 3AM last night replacing Mint 11 on my netbook with Mint 13 Mate. Got started in the evening, had a bit of an issue with the install process, that was after doing Mint backup. Once I figured out I had to delete Mint 11 and tell Mint 13 where root belonged, it went smooth. Don't think I'd mess with Mint backup again, the way I did it before worked better for me. However, the updates only took about 1 and a half hours, plus the program packages also took about that amount of time. Windows XP is also on it and luckily it also started and ran fine. Fine tuned Mint 13 this morning and up and running fine now. With Mate, there is very little difference from how Mint 9, 10, & 11 worked. Mint 12 was a horse of an different color and I never did find it useful.

As most of you know, updates for Mint 11 had ended, so an upgrade was in order. I also tried out Linux Liberte' on a flash drive, pretty cool, installed it on 3 of them, just in case I ever need to use it to hack into a computer with a corrupt OS or just for browsing the net.

melbo and Brokor like this.
  13. melbo

Not a fan of the backup solutions either.
    I use it to generate a list of what additional applications I've installed and then just reinstall (keeping my /home partition intact). Once it's done, I then go through and add my programs back and the configs are still present in /home (show Hidden Files and you'll see they all start with a . as in .firefox.

Also, always remember to 'Keep' your version rather than replace with the package maintainers version if prompted during any upgrade. Your version is from Mint, the Package Maintainers version is typically Ubuntu so you can de-mintify your system if you choose to replace.

14. melbo

Wild Trapper likes this.
  15. Hazmat54

Hazmat54 Monkey+++

Really? I just installed Mint 14 Mate on my laptop. No games? I got to have my Solitaire! What were they thinking.

16. melbo

Go to the Software Manager and look for Games or search 'solitaire'. Install as desired from maybe 200 versions of solitaire.
    Or, if you can find the name of the package you'd like to install, drop to a terminal and type:

example with pysol as the package
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install pysol

Brokor likes this.
  17. Hazmat54

Hazmat54 Monkey+++

Thanks. It just surprised me that games weren't included by default. I had Mint 12, I think, on this laptop and then changed over to Ubuntu. Kind of tedious to change over. I need to get in the habit of keeping my stuff gathered up in one spot, so I can copy it to a DVD when I decide to try some other distro.

18. melbo

I guess it's just preference, I prefer for the Distribution to come with as little as possible since I can install exactly what I want in 5 minutes, post install. I spend more time removing 3 or 4 audio & video applications to then have to install just 1, VLC.

Wild Trapper, oldawg and Brokor like this.
  19. Wild Trapper

I use Kpat which is an optional install and has several card games.

Melbo, VLC comes packed with Mint now or did with 13, but, I'm sure you already knew that.

VLC will usually play any video or audio file I've ever had, whereas some of the other packaged players will not.

20. melbo

Thanks. Probably a bad example but I switch around so much sampling different flavors (on a big Fedora kick right now) that I appreciate a thinner selection of packaged applications.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7