surviving an attack on a bus, train, or confined spaces

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by sec_monkey, Jul 20, 2018.

1. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

Motomom34 likes this.
  2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

CAUTION - graphic photo in post (at bottom)

If I were forced to travel by 'public' bus/train in the EU - my first purchase would be a pair of these

[​IMG]
    so-called 'frisking gloves' lined with Kevlar or Spectra.

Second, forearm protectors of Kevlar or Spectra
    [​IMG]

Gloves? "My hands got so cold...."

Forearm protector? "A medical brace, you know, too many years typing....
    Both are fairly nondescript and can be explained away easily. The forearm protector fit under a light jacket or Windbreaker.

Why?

To avoid this

CAUTION graphic photo ahead

[​IMG]

3. DKR

Second item - a messenger bag.
    [​IMG]

When traveling by bus away from my primary bag, I carry a messenger bag. With water, TP, backup phone battery and all the other crap you carry for the day...

The Travelon brand bag shown has SS mesh panels (under fabric) and 'slash proof' shoulder strap. I would sew a set of straps on the 'inside' of the bag to allow use as a forearm shield - in addition to the protector above.

Since knives are generally a no-no coming thru customs - I suppose I would have to pick up a 'steak knife' locally....

State-side, the local wallyworld or dollar store sells very nice (and cheap) wooden handled steak knives.

A bit of cardboard and some duck tape for a carry sheath and you are good to go....

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Tully Mars, Motomom34, Ura-Ki and 5 others like this.
  4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

In a knife fight, you are going to get cut. Unfortunately, my choice of weapons in a close quarters knife attack are illegal. @DKR, your gloves and arm guards are right on!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Timely information for me - was informed a few days ago I will be traveling to Manilla late this year and early next. Not expecting any issues and not going to do any stupid things, but I'm never comfortable without options.

6. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

was gonna say use yer CCW if ya got one [winkthumb]

this aint jus about across the pond nor jus about CQB ;)

a PDW would werk too wherever it is legal

7. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Leather belt with big buckle with Knife in hand

8. DKR

A dash one bravo has a lot of hardware.

[​IMG]

some of that hardware be making a bitch'n belt buckle..... One heavy enough to give a mook an open toed head.

9. DKR

Old school cane for the 'elderly' among us....

[​IMG]

10. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Aha... The Shillelagh!! Excellent!!

11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Line the bottom of a Molle pouch with lead shot and rubber cement with a short length of para core. Tie one end to a belt and the other to the molle pouch! A folded strip of cardboard with a small strip of pop bottle plastic taped together makes a neato slashing shiv and can be snuck through a body scan and if done well, even a pat down!

12. duane

duane Monkey+++

Never been threatened by a knife, but quit riding public transport in Boston due to crazies, drunks, people of color wearing weird clothes and coughing and spitting and talking in tongues outside of church. Can't quite get over the feeling that I might be at ground zero of the next world wide pandemic. Or being killed by some crazy because the voices told him to or a bunch of high gang teens that know they can use their age and being "oppressed" to do as they please or someone making a "political" statement like the marathon bomber. Have solved the problem, don't go there anymore, they won. Any place I go now, I try to keep something behind me, stay out of crowds, keep alternative exits in mind, try my best to maintain opsec, and if it doesn't feel right, leave. It has been close to 10 years now since I flew on an airline and I have no intention of doing so for the same reasons and also the hassle of going to the airport, parking, security, cramped conditions in the airplane, ever smaller seats and more fees , etc

13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Bradford used to be safer than Logan. The rest of the downsides are still there.

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and sec_monkey like this.
  14. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

I would board any bus donning sunglasses and with a "seeing eye" dog. However, the dog would be actually trained in self protection. If an attacker were to produce a knife, I would command the dog to bit him in the nuts, while I beat him with my cane.

Well, it could happen. It could HAPPPEENNN! (My best Judy Tenuda imitation.)

If in Manila, you won't have to worry too much about an attacker with a knife, on a bus. Buses are so crowded in the Philippines, that they are often standing room only. A bus mean to seat 40 passengers, for example, would often have up to 70 passengers on them. They often keep small stools, or boards to place on the seats across the aisles, for passengers to sit in the aisle way.

Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Telescoping baton.
    Then the guy with a knife would look pretty stupid.
    They train you to not hit people in the head or face with the baton and to stop hitting them when they go down.
    If the perp has a gun or knife, hit them in the head and face, continue to beat them after they go down, unless you are a cop.

But I don't use public transportation so I'm about as unprepared as could be.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I tried to think of the next time I would ride public transportation and my only conclusion was that it would be when they haul me and people like me to the deplorables concentration camp.

Gator 45/70, Altoidfishfins and SB21 like this.
  17. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Yeah, I am with @oil pan 4 : a telescoping baton, perhaps two. Are they considered illegal to carry here in the states? They store well and are out in a jiffy if needed and give you reach. Extremely effective. I've carried them in numerous countries and cops never took them away from me, although some did try due to envy and wanting them for themselves. However, in this damn country you never know - I mean - if you carried a hammer around would they say that was an illegal carry? I don't think you would be allowed to carry them on an airline but think be no problem for ground transport. I currently don't have one as left it with my niece when I left overseas and, besides, I carry the 9mm most the at times but now that we have talked about it, I'm going to order one for the truck and another for the car - today.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

From the web:
    "Unfortunately it is difficult to identify expandable batons as illegal in most states as they do not specifically mention expdable or telescopic batons. ... If you carry an expandable baton in states that mention club, billys or bludgeons as illegal in any way you run the risk of being prosecuted."

Gator 45/70 and VisuTrac like this.
  19. DKR

About baton in Alaska (and who sez cops don't have a sense of humor?)

Questions Posted to "Ask a Dispatcher"

Q. Are any of the following objects illegal: switchblades, butterfly knives, collapsible batons, pepper spray or brass knuckles?

Dear Juneau Resident,

Switchblade-Not legal to possess
    Butterfly (Gravity) Knife-Not legal to possess
    Brass Knuckles-What is going on here? Are we in a bad 1970s cop film where people have sideburns, tan corduroy suits, and are slipping on brass knuckles?

This gets to be a really long answer even without the color commentary so I am going to refer you to Alaska Statues 11.61.190-220, which are at Infobases.

Keep in mind that even if it's legal to posses an item, how the person uses the item, where that person is, and whether or not that person tells an officer that contacts them about the item can all contribute to a person being charged.

Here's the deal, if you do something you shouldn't and use your hands, you are in trouble. If you do something you shouldn't and use a weapon, you are in big trouble. A level of trouble along the lines of..."Dude, can you watch my dog 'cuz I'm going to be gone for a long time" trouble.

Gator 45/70 and GrayGhost like this.
  20. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@DKR "Brass Knuckles-What is going on here? Are we in a bad 1970s cop film where people have sideburns, tan corduroy suits, and are slipping on brass knuckles?"

I always wanted one of those trench knives that were used in WW1 where brass knuckles were integrated in the grip of the blade...don't ask me why because I would probably never have a use for it but, they sure look impressive! LOL! I am sure there is a lot of Chinese junk, replicas, around and doubt they even make a good version now... Yeah, I know, silly, but I still would like one. LOL!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7