Surviving the heat

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Dusty308, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Dusty308

Dusty308 Living between the lines

I've been lucky here in NC with no power outages as of yet however, friends and family in WV are struggling with downed power lines and trees. AND no A/C. They are working a fast as they can to get things working again which makes me think is we lose power I have 4 dogs and will not abandon them for the A/C of a hotel (which would probably be packed anyway. I guess I could dip them in cool water every few hours and keep them in the house as long as it's bearable. Have you guys thought about this?
    My Best,
    Dusty

2. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Dusty 308 - which part of NC are you in. I'm in SW Charlotte and have been lucky so far myself as well.

3. Dusty308

Dusty308 Living between the lines

I'm in South Charlotte, filled up my gas tank and pull my cash, just in case. I expect tonight that our 30% chance of a storm later will increase and we could be out of power tonight. I'm not pessimistic, just a realist.
    Good Luck
    Darklight
    May the Force be with you
    Dusty

4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Back when I lived in Fayettnam, the dogs used to lay under the big bushes in the shade and were good with the heat. I think they preferred it over the AC.
    As long as they have water and good shade they will be okay. I would not leave the dogs either !!

5. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

we have had some storms in the east that have cooled things off... the big thing withdogs is that they cool off by panting... so ice water in their water dish will help keep your dogs cool....

6. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I lived near Ft Bragg for 14 years; a very hot and humid area.

7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

If you block off the windows on the South and West side of a home, it will lower the temperature significantly. You could use aluminum foil (albeit an eyesore), or cut some foam insulation board and hang it up temporarily for daytime use. Even thermal blinds or good quality drapes will suffice.

Compared to the Iraqi and Kuwait heat, there's nothing the USA will see that can top a summer over there.

8. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Just flushed and refurbed a swamp cooler ( weird name that) I don't have a swamp to cool!
    But I ended up standing in one! Now when the monsoon hits, the coolers will be shut down...far too humid to do any good, fire up the big fans, that's the best we can do here, or pay gi-normous electric bills to run AC units....If things are "normal", I expect to lose power for up to 3-4 days in a row( again)
    Never ceases to amaze.....

Too Country likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7