Surviving With Little Ones

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Capt.Reynolds, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Capt.Reynolds

Capt.Reynolds Ya...NO WAIT!!!!

I don't know if this has been brought up before or touched upon? But, how does any survival plan or action change when you have small children to consider? They slow you down, require more and unique supplies and can cause more stress on an already stressful situation. If any of you have thought about this or have an idea of what you would do we would like to hear it.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I can't remember the subject coming up on this forum before now, someone else may. It looks to me as though this is one of the very few times when "it takes a village" might apply during SHTF. Bug in or out preps have to consider supplies, but in fact that is the easy part. Everything will take longer as you said, which has to be factored in. For bug out situations, think in terms of camping trips you have taken with the littlies in tow. Then, if you have ever camped with others of your tribe, how did you divide responsibilities for camp chores and kid watching? How long could you be on the road without a potty stop? More importantly maybe is where did you stop for the potty calls? Will those places be open, safe, functional and near where you are headed?

If you have never camped with the littlies, now is the time for a dry run. Second dry run is with another family, preferably one that the kids already know and trust. ("DO WHAT XXX TELLS YOU!!" works if they've experienced it before, and has to be used now and then to give yourself a break in the latrine.) It is not difficult to imagine what you would do when you are the only one to be considered, but it never ceased to amaze me how the kids can come up with a situation that you would never think of on your own. Creative little buggers, and what might be fun under controlled conditions could ruin a bug out run in short order. Better to find out what's on their minds on dry runs than when it counts.

3. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

How small are the children?

I think kids far surpass adults in a change of lifestyle under any negative situation. The younger they are, the easier the adaptation. For instance; Loss of electricity might make a teen feel close to death :lol:, while a toddler would be happy to play in the dirt. They are quick, agile, and far more intelligent than most adults give them credit for. Their attitude and stress level will mirror the surrounding adults.

My kids have been with me through everything from Board meetings to ditch digging, cave explorations to river rafting. They will act as you expect them to; have high expectations and they'll make it through anything.

4. NWPilgrim

NWPilgrim Monkey++

+1 on that. They will react as you have raised them. We always expected them to be able to have fun on their own without being entertained (playing school, reading, running around outside, etc.), and they were always asked to help us out. They also new what to do in an emergency (fire, bad guy, etc.) and how to shoot and handle family firearms safely (since they were about 5).

If you raise them as pampered brats then they will be a major hassle in any emergency and unpredictable. If they are used to pitching in and helping out Mom and Dad then you have extra hands. They can't carry much weight until they are teenagers but they can help in a lot of other ways: cooking, cleanup, fetching tools or supplies.

I suggest that you don't just have them do the most boring, unskilled tasks though. Kids love to learn new things and take pride in doing something important. Take time to train them on new skills and tasks and give them time to make mistakes. Once they can do it on their own you will have a valuable team mate and have a lot more fun together.

One of our daughters loved to orgaize things, so she became the Organizer. Whether it was unloading groceries, stocking the pantry, gathering gear for camping, etc. fro the time she was about 12 she took pride in being in charge of checklists and getting the most stuff in the smallest space. The youngest was Daddy's helper and she would do anything and for as long as it took as long as she could work alongside me.

Teach them it is more fun to work as a team and that they can be responsible for important things, but sometimes we all, including Mom and Dad, have to do some boring things just to get it done. Don't wait for disaster to strike.

KAS likes this.
  5. ghrit

Well stated, they need to know what to expect as well as what is expected of them. Which roughly translates to dry runs that will expose what you will have to teach them. [beer]

6. WestPointMAG

WestPointMAG Monkey++

If I posted “Will my vehicle work for bugging out and what problems can I expect with it?” There would be no way that any one on this forum could give me any kind of definitive answer. I would need to include in my post the year, make, model, accessories and condition before anyone could even possibly answer the question in a manner that would be helpful to me.

You asked a very good question and it need to be explored to the fullest. The only problem is before it can be discussed in any thing but a very general manner more information must be provided to the group. So I ask what is there year, make, model, accessories and condition.

Year - How old are they?

Make - Boy or girl?

Model - Are the workers, caring, whiners, lazy ect. What is there disposition? Do they have self care skills, in other words can they wipe there own butt?

Accessories - Diapers, bottle fed, can they walk do they need a stroller, sling or backpack to be carried in or does the moon visit and stay a wile. What kind of gear will it take for them to be able to big out.

Condition - what is there mental and physical status?

7. Capt.Reynolds

Well, little to us right now is a 2 year old girl who is just starting out of diapers. She walks ok and listens pretty good.

8. Tracy

Two?! Walking?! Heck, if you can put a cup of Cheerios on the end of a stick and dangle it just past her reach, she can pull a small wagon [LMAO] (j/k).

Think of her as an appendage and allow her to help you prepare and learn prior to any emergency situation or natural disaster. She'll see what you want from her and you'll see how to best utilize her natural abilities.

9. WestPointMAG

WestPointMAG Monkey++

Ok our first shoot on in the bag {I will start a new thread with a report if anyone is interested.} Now that I have some time on my hands I will work on this thread.
    Can the child understand and follow basic commands? The most important ones are.

Stop
    Stay
    Set
    Come
    Silence

Stop - Immediately without taking another steep and with asking why.
    Stay - with out moving from the spot or at the spot.
    Set - Immediately and without moving.
    Come - Immediately, without asking why.
    Silence -Immediately, total and remain silent until told otherwise.

Now I know that a 2 year old has an attention span of about one minute but this will increase if you spend some time working with her and playing games that involve stopping, staying, setting, coming and being silent.

Stay - if you tell her to stay and you leave the room how long does it take her to go looking for you?

Come - If you kick a dog after you have called him to you can you blame him if he stops coming when called? I am a firm believer in not calling a child to you if you are going to punish the child. Instead you should go to the child.

10. Capt.Reynolds

The 'silence' command might be a challenge for a 2 year old babbling girl. But, she comes and stays pretty good. Staying is more hit and miss. If she thinks that we are doing something fun or is clingy at the moment, staying is a no-go. If she is distracted, then yes.

11. Tracy

*A little every-day survival tip*
    Put a small bottle of bubbles (you know, the ones with the wands inside) in your first aid kit. If your little one skins a knee or has a visible-blood injury, blowing bubbles distracts them while you work on their injury. :)

12. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Tracy,
    You're right on with the distraction thing. I have added a few pages from a coloring book and about 1/2 dozen or so crayons to each pack (mine and my wifes) for our 4yr old. The plus side to that is when she is finished coloring we can use the wax coated paper to help start a fire.

Now, distracting a 4 month old, that's another story

13. FalconDance

FalconDance Neighborhood Witch

(Best distraction for a 4 month old is the breast ;). If you don't breastfeed, this could be a great inducement to start!)

14. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I personally don't breast feed, but the wife does :lol: Actually he's starting to come off the breast :( but at least he's transitioning to solid food :)

15. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I can only say I am in a position that I no longer have that type of situation to deal with....
    BUT, I do know this, my oldest son has a 2 1/2 year old and they are expecting another any day now....Another friend here, has 2 children, 1 is 2+ and a newborn.
    Now that's a couple of handfuls!
    I am lucky in that my youngest is 19.
    Having done the every 2 hours, no sleep thing for years, I am worn out!
    I have had 8 children, and 7 are still with us.
    I do not envy anyone with children today.
    In fact, to be honest, it scares the heck out of me!
    But, then I'm an 'old fart'!
    I've had my heyday!
    I do remember back in the 70's and 80's how I worried from day to day, and what I'd do, just to keep them safe and happy.
    Today, I just worry about them and their families now!
    It NEVER ends!
    No wonder I have white hair!
    Bill

16. Tracy

It works well for the 40-somethings, too ;).

:lol:

17. ghrit

5 minutes to 105 years, more like -- (snicker)

18. kritterbigfoot

kritterbigfoot Monkey++

i started thinking about this when my kids were small.
    1. get the ones that are old enough to walk to help you pack thier diaper bags.
    2. have some cloth diapers on reserve, they may never be used but if you need them they will be there., have the plastic covers with them.
    3.have some sort of backpack or sling for each one, stroller with big wheels, or even those side cars for bikes would be a good idea. wheel barrel, or one of those big utility wagons, they could ride on top of the supplies.
    4. anything you need for kids their age you should hve multiples of. butt paste is something you might need a lot of cause sometimes you might not be able to stop and change them imidiately. also fever and cough meds in thier doses.vaseline for chapped skin
    5. plenty of clothes, and warm clothes and blankets. a small baby is going to need to be in a sling on your chest to stay warm in cold weather. if they are bigger have them ride in the wagon wrapped in blankets together to stay warm. have some of those gowns that zip at the bottom for those babies of a size to kick off all blankets and pull off socks etc. being able to have thier bare legs together in that bag gown with maybe some extra blankets stuffed in around them will keep them warmer.
    5. i tried to breast feed all my kids, they slept with me too, this made them sleep all night nearly, if they didnt, then you just roll over and stick a breast in thier mouth and go back to sleep. the more you keep a baby in a sling on your chest the more secure they feel the less they are to whine and cry. they will also be healthier if beast fed, which means less whining and crying from being sick.
    6.i know that all the nurses and doctors say that a baby should be on milk for a year. what i had to go through with all these new moms trying to do that. almost all my kids were eating real food by a month old. my son thaught he was starving, he was eating mashed potatoes at 2 weeks. i had to suppliment breast feeding with thick bottles of cerials and watered down babyfood. a lot of the time i just chewed what i was eating up good and fed it to him that way. turns out he was allergic to milk, but my two girls were done pretty much the same way from a very young age. definately didnt wait a year for real food. they sleep better imidiately, they sleep longer, they are all around more content when started on solid food very early. and there is a heck of a lot less cholic.
    anyway include them when your packing thier stuff, include thier fav toy and have alternative things you can take to replace the instant things.keep plenty of baby wipes for everyone to use.
    little ones just gotta be kept warm, fed, clean, and dry and secure with mom and dad.

19. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

What just happen, Did you say something? [gone]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7