Surviving WITHOUT a Long-Term Food Stockpile.....

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Garand69, Jan 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Very important post thanks,
    Reminds me I need new gaskets for my pressure canners

chelloveck and Garand69 like this.
  2. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Canning is a big part of self reliance. Tattler reusable canning lids are an important part of long term canning supplies. But also stock standard lids deep. Rings are reusable but standard lids are not. The realization hits pretty fast on how many jars and lids you need when you add up family members and multiply by days of the year. How much space does 365 jars take up? That is a lot of canning . Being diverse in food production is key. Chellovec said his mother would catch a live chicken. That is an important statement . A live bird or rabbit is food that keeps itself so to speak. Keep them fed and housed and you have a living pantry. Our lake is a living pantry. A fish pond or stream is a living pantry. Fruit trees are living pantries. Cat tails are living pantries. Couple these with long term preps like rice and beans, jars of tomatoes, garden produce . The trick is to find a balance in all of this. Harvest, forage, scavenge, grow, can and stock pile. Staples like salt and sugar are the hardest to replace if you run out unless you are close to salt mine or the ocean. Sugar can be made but is not easy. Beets, maple syrup and natural honey with honey being the logical replacement IF IF you can keep bees. Bee keeping is something we need to discuss in a much larger capacity. Bees make the world of fruits go around.

chelloveck and BTPost like this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Yard Dart
  4. fl4848
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. Motomom34