Swedish / Finnish Log Torch

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by chelloveck, Feb 19, 2021.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

A few threads posted on this general subject:

Cooking Log

Heating a tent or a primitive hut with a Finnish log torch heater.

And there are a number variations on a theme, using a chainsaw, or using bundled cordword to create the same log torch effect....

Here are a couple more variants...one using a wood Auger to create the chimney, and the feeder air duct; and the other, using a knife (or tomahawk) and an improvised wooden wedge, and a bowsaw.

I like the 2nd method....it uses tools that are multi functional, and I particularly like the saw he uses...light, and easily portable.

And an eggsample of log torch cooking without pots or pans... ;)

A refinement on the shish kebab spindle hanging vertically into the torch...would be to use a swivel, and fashion a wind vane so the convection air currents generated by the fire can rotate the meat automatically so that the meat can be cooked evenly and not charred by exposure to hotter spots...less need for the cook to manually rotate the meat...just a thought.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    arleigh, Meat and Dunerunner like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Essentially, a wooden rocket stove and self feeding at least until burned through.

Meat and chelloveck like this.
  3. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Great! How come Pops never told me about these? Too busy telling me how the Finns removed the ball bags from the Russian soldiers mistreating the beautiful Finnish ladies. Lol. (I can’t stop repeating it either. Ouch!)

chelloveck likes this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Some place on SM there's more info on Swedish log stoves. Here's one of several.
    Fire

Meat and chelloveck like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7