Taking Linux out for a Test Drive

Discussion in 'GNU/Linux' started by melbo, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Goldwampum

Goldwampum Monkey+

I've loaded them all in now Melbo, so don't know which were there before, but a butt load of them loaded after the dvd upgrade. My take is that it is much better to make a dvd for install than a cd.

Or immediately upgrade to dvd from the welcome screen.

2. Goldwampum

Goldwampum Monkey+

Upgrade to DVD version shows up right there where the rectangle is in the lower left. Disappears once it's done. On another note, I have noticed a very good acceleration in both load up time for the computer and my internet speed with Mint. b::
    Screenshot-3.

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I've burned both CDs and DVD versions. I don't know anything about the 'upgrade to DVD' option post install. I'd think it might just give you language packs and some extra pre-installed software. I usually opt for slim installs and then load what I want.

I still can't figure out why the paragraph doesn't work. Are you using Firefox? Try another browser.

4. Goldwampum

Goldwampum Monkey+

Para's are working now too

I believe.

I did some slight tweeking in firefox pref's.

On the cd/dvd... Trapper had mentioned that he couldn't fit the whole thing on a cd... mine seemed to fit, but... I did get the dvd message, and it did work so I don't know... new at it.

I will say that if I can work through these little things, they can't be that bad. [booze]

Right now I don't know of anything that isn't working well, and I sure like that way it seamlessly identified hardware without bothering me about it.

lThere should be several para's here.

Let's see.

5. Goldwampum

Goldwampum Monkey+

Love the platform btw.b::[boozingbuddies]

Defintely saw java files coming in and it showed up in the plug in box after dvd upgrade. Couldn't even find it in the manager before that.

6. melbo

Part of the experience of linux is figuring out some of these little problems... What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and one day about 6 years ago, I was sitting in your shoes. The rest of my linux journey has been self taught and I'm pretty darn proud of the things I've figured out.

The Linux Mint forums are extremely helpful and I was pretty active there when I was learning.

7. Goldwampum

Goldwampum Monkey+

Thanks for that encouragement Melbo... and I certainly don't mean to sound unhappy with Mint... I see nothing but potential and my own learning curve, but more than that... the feeling of doing it in a free thinking community. Reminiscent of days past... I love it.

Not to mention, I hate freaking windows.[booze]

8. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Sorry I didn't see where you went GW, I was waiting and wondering what happened to you from your last post on that other thread. Glad you got it working. The reason my download wouldn't fit on a CD was it was 831.7 MiB. It had everything on it I needed to get started, except for 2 drivers, which I only had to click on to get them auto loaded.

I have my laptop as a duel booted system for now anyway. Don't care that much for windows, but it is there if I want to use it. For now just plan do go in it to keep things fine tuned as much as possible with my limited ability.

What I may do is boot up in Gparted (I have the lasted burn) and see if I can successfully reposition the partition to give Linux more room to grow. I should have done it while installing. This time I try something new I'll make double sure I have everything backed up I don't want to lose.

There are a list of other programs I always download as soon as the updates are done. Later, maybe I'll post a few of those, but the first is always Krusader. It is the best twin-panel file manager I have ever used or seen.

9. melbo

Boot from your Live CD and then run gparted. You can add, shrink/grow and delete partitions there. Be careful though because gparted will happily destroy your HDD if you tell it to.

10. Wild Trapper

Kind of afraid of that. I have 40 gig free on windows and 33 gig free on Linux and can't really see where I would need that much on the windows partition. Now Linux, I get into some pretty big downloads at times, but once the torrent is done seeding I usually move it to an external anyway. It is really hard to use up a lot of HDD on a Linux partition unless a person is lazy and leaves the crap build up.

Have you any experience with DBAN? A friend told me it would solve many issues with corrupted OS issues by completely wiping the disc of all data. Of course, then you have to reinstall a new OS.

What happened just last week was, I had been playing with the Mint 10 live dvd and decided to shut down and boot back up in Mint 9. When I turned the laptop back on, it wouldn't boot. Gave me every indication that the HDD was fried. So I thought I'd try installing Mint 10, would not recognize the HDD. I was all set to order a new hard disc when I got the idea to stick the factory restore discs into the computer and just see what would happen. Everything installed normally and after several hours of setting itself up I had windows xp back on it. So, after running some utilities to get rid of the bloat and install some things like OO and Firefox, also crap cleaner and defragler. I was ready to install Mint 10. That install worked too and I can choose which OS I want at boot up.

I'm not sure if the issue was just in the grub or not, as I've never tried messing around with that. don't even know if it can be done successfully. The only choice I could see to do is find a way to reformat the drive, but at that point the computer wasn't even seeing the drive. And it was also preventing the Linux Mint 10 disc from seeing it as far as installing it goes. the Mint 10 disc would load into memory, but not install.

11. Goldwampum

Goldwampum Monkey+

I don't need to be mucking with that for the moment then. [booze][drooling]

12. Goldwampum

Goldwampum Monkey+

Hey, thanks for gettin' back to me Trap. I was thinking I might send a pm to let you know I came to this thread. Glad you found me. I just thought this thread was more suited for the ongoing discussion.

Please do keep us informed on the program downloads. I'm on a pretty steep curve right now, but really liking the system.

I'm duel booted, but the next computer I may go all in on linux.

13. Goldwampum

Goldwampum Monkey+

Still don't know what prompted that DVD upgrade thing, but it worked. Also found out I can create pdf from openoffice. That's pretty cool.

14. Wild Trapper

When you first install Linux as an OS, doesn't matter if it is Ubuntu or Mint, there will be a little icon somewhere on the panel that prompts you to download updates. Actually you want to do that before you really start to use the OS. I do it manually through Synaptic file Manager in Mint. I don't allow it to just do it automatically as I want to maintain control in case something goes wrong. No matter how new the OS is, it always seems like there are at least 100-150 updates waiting to be installed.

Yes, even the windows version of OO is super compared to MS office. [freedom] It is hard for me to understand why people still pay for that crap.

For Internet browsers, Firefox is usually the standard, but there are many more that can be downloaded through Synaptic. Seamonkey, and Opera are two I like. Seamonkey will allow you to edit web pages, like htm-html files.

Well just a bit for now, gotta run, chores to do.

15. Goldwampum

Goldwampum Monkey+

I use firefox but used to use opera and like it too. Never tried seamonkey. Yeah I updated. A bunch came in. Very happy with mint thus far.

16. Wild Trapper

Couldn't stand it to leave my laptop alone. had to re-install Linux Mint and use the entire HDD instead of duel booting with windows.

I booted back up into windows yesterday and got so frustrated with all the updates etc., I just said screw windows, Got my Mint disc out and rebooted. When Linux came up I hit the install icon. That was about 5 in the evening. Of course, I did backup Firefox and Thunderbird, but I had not really done much else that needed to be saved, so i was good to go.

I just seems like even Linux works better when it doesn't have share a computer with windows. I took a serious look at my windows install and there wasn't anything there that I needed.

1. Brokor
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. aardbewoner
  4. aardbewoner
  5. Brokor
  6. 3M-TA3
  7. Brokor
  8. DarkLight
  9. Brokor
  10. sec_monkey
  11. UncleMorgan
  12. kckndrgn