Tale of woe with the 2006 White Toyota Tacoma 4X4 Pickup...

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by BTPost, Apr 7, 2018.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Toyota Extended Warantee Service SUCKS.... We got an Extended Warrantee Notice for the Truck 18 months ago, that there was an issue with the Rear Axle Leaf Springs with a BAD Tempering Job, and catastrophic Failure.. So we took it in to Toyota of Burien, WA to get it checked.. Yes, they found that ours were BAD, and were replaced, Wheels Balanced, and Frontend Aligned, all under the RECALL.. So, 9 months ago, AlaskaChick noticed a “ Shimmy” @ 60 Mph... So, 3 months ago, and less than 100 miles since the RECALL SERVICE, she took it back, to have them figure out, and FIX, the issue.... Diagnosis, Front Passenger side Wheel Bearing failure, Rear Drivers side Wheel Bearing Making Noise, and soon to fail, Four NEW Wheels, Balance Tires, and reAlign Frontend... Cost $5200US... She called me, and I said get the Truck out of there, as they are Crooks, and we will take it to Les Schwab Tires for a Second Opinion, next time we are down South... So a month after that, here comes a NEW Extended Warrantee Service Notice for an issue, where there is a “Shimmy” noticed @ 60 Mph... So, I went looking far a different Toyota Dealer to take the Truck to... I called Toyota of Seattle, and talked to the Service MGR, and explained the previous ISSUES with the other Dealership, and got a Repair Date of last Tuesday, for AlaskaChick to take it in and have it looked at, under the New RECALL... On inspection, Nothing wrong with either Wheel Bearing, Nothing wrong with ANY of the Wheels or Tires.. Even wear Patterns on ALL Tires, and Perfect Alignment on the Frontend... and YES, The Mechanic found issues with ALL FOUR U-Joints on the Drive Lines, both Front and Rear... Two were missing some Needle Bearings, and some were feeling crunchy... So, Supposedly they ordered the Parts, and told her to come back on Thursday, for the Service... So at 9:30Am Yesterday, we go in, expecting that we would be on the Road by Noon... OPPS, the Parts Warehouse sent the Wrong Parts, we were told, come back Tomorrow Morning and the RIGHT Parts will be here, and out and on the ROAD, by noon... So at the doors at 9:30 Am this morning, and OPPS, AGAIN... No Parts, and nobody quite knows why...So I ask to talk to the Servive MGR... “She is in a Meeting and can’t be interupted...”. Left my Phone Number, and a NastyGram for her to call Me... Three Hours later... Brrring, it is her... She says that there was some missCommunications, and Toyota Corp just approved the release of the Parts to ship to the Dealership at Noon, today. and due to this being a Factory Recall, issue, they had NO CONTROL over the issue... I Exploded... I told ger they had the VIN Number, and the Inspection Reprt on Tuesday afternoon, What more did they need? I also noted, that these were NOT NASA Parts, that they are just Common U-Joints, that can be purchased at ANY NAPA Store... She said that they had to use Toyota Parts to be covered under the RECALL, SO THEY GET PAID for the Service, by Corporate... I told her that if I ran my Business like that I would be OUT OF Business in short Order, and I am NOW going to be Three Days behind Schedule, on a 3000 mile Businees Trip .. She was Sorry for the inconvience, but there wasn’t much she could, but offered to come pick up the Truck NOW, and when the Parts arrived, repair it and deliver it back to us... I told her I absolutely would NEVER trust them with my Truck that had 2 Grand worth of Radio Gear, and 5 Grand worth of FireArms in it, to an outfit, that showed such POOR Customer Service, and we would be back tomorrow Morning, and there had better be the correct Parts there to fix it, PERIOD... She said she would call Corporate and make sure the Parts were Shipped and if there was a Problem, call us back... I said Thank you, that would be Good... Click... At 3:30Pm... Brrring... It is her, AGAIN... Well there is a problem, but in the interest of Good Customer Service, they would have 4 each NEW After-Market U-Jounts ready to install on our Truck @ 7:00Am tomorrow, and then when were get back from the trip, AlaskaChick can schedule a Service Call to install the Toyota Parts, ALL AT THEIR EXPENSE... but Toyota would NOT Warrantee, the After-Market U-Joints, until they were replaced with Toyota Parts... AlaskaChick told her...” Okey Doke we will be there at 7:00Am,,, Thank you...” Click... When was the LAST TIME Anyone ever heard of a Just Replaced U-Joint, that was installed correctly, ever Failing in the first 3000 miles? Like NEVER... So, here we sit in Seattle, another Night.... but hopefully on the Road by 10:00Am tomorrow... Unbelieveable...

2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Yikes!

Tully Mars and sec_monkey like this.
  3. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

Tell them you want the name of the district manager. Tell them you are going to report this to the Better Business Bureau.
    This usually got my dads attention.He was a service manager. unless Toyota dealers there are insane or something.
    Funny I took you for an American truck kinda guy.

4. BTPost

We had a 1998 Red Toyota 4X4 Pickup Truck previously, and a Subaru 4X4 Wagon before that... When i courted AlaskaChick, it was in a 1955 Dodge 4X4 PowerWagon Panel Truck... We are. 4X4 Family....

i did call ToyotaUSA Corporate, and lodged a FORMAL complaint...

5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

SUKZ! Any more, all new trucks are ckrap! So far the 2016 (Used ) Dodge has been okedoky, no real issues, but its the last new truck were ever buying! So fricking expensive, and the build quality, while exceptional for Dodge, isn't even close to the Euro cars, and the dealers are all assholes when it comes to working on it, worse because they cannot scam me on fake repairs and up sales!

Sorry to hear of your troubles, keep us posted, and go ahead and out the offending Toy dealers, there are those among us who need to know who to avoid!

Tully Mars, Dont and sec_monkey like this.
  6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Just another reason to do repairs yourself.
    The rear springs in my 2000 went bad at 6 years, ordered aftermarket springs and installed them. Found the OEM <RIGHT> springs were stamped MEXICO.

7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Your story makes me thankful I did not purchase the extend warranty. I love my Toyota but their service department is really time consuming. I used to take my car there for oil changes but it took booking two weeks ahead and then spending 2 hours there. They always had a good spread of free snacks but too much time sitting around IMO.

You are at their mercy because if you want to utilize the extend warranty that you purchased, you are on their time frame. Sucks! Hopefully they get it correct. Sadly you need your vehicle otherwise you could work on them to give you a loaner because of the schedule delay.

@Big Ron Toyota's are made in America. They are as much an American car as Ford.

sec_monkey likes this.
  8. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Right now roughly 60% of Tacomas are built in Texas, and those get the stamp you see at the top of the page. The manufacturing location stamp is on the door jam of every Tacoma. I photographed the one that is in my driveway (a media test vehicle). After the expansion is complete in late 2017, about half of the approximately 60% of the Tacomas that Toyota produces for sale in the U.S. will be built in Mexico by our math. Will drivers open that door, look for the Made In the U.S.A. sticker and only buy those that have it, leaving the Made in Mexico trucks to sit unsold? Doubtful.
    Will 2017 Toyota Tacoma Being Mexican-made Matter to Buyers | Torque News

Search Results
    The second generation Tacomas were assembled in Tijuana, Mexico and Fremont, California while the plastic/composite beds were all built in Mexico. However, in August 2009 Toyota announced that it would relocate Tacoma production from Fremont to San Antonio, Texas.
    Toyota Tacoma - Wikipedia
    Toyota Tacoma - Wikipedia
    Feedback
    About this result
    People also ask
    Where is the Toyota made?
    Where are Toyota vehicles assembled for the U.S. market?
    Model Manufacturing Location
    Sequoia Princeton, Indiana
    Sienna Princeton, Indiana
    Tacoma San Antonio, Texas and Baja California, Mexico
    Tundra San Antonio, Texas

9. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Not so new ones ain't all that great either. My 2003 HD2500 Chevy had a rear end seize up. Lack of oil in the differential housing. Why ? Because the cover plate was made out of re-processed scrap metal....you could stick a screwdriver in it and flake off hunks of metal....completely rotten....so the oil seeped out and left it running dry. A dadgum cover made out of WOOD would have been a better choice.

Out of warranty by then, of course...so my dime to fix. Got after market parts except the cover...Chevy makes a "kit" with new cover, bolts and gasket. You think they don't KNOW about the problem ?? You could pull the cover off a 30's model Chevy/Ford vehicle and I guarantee ya while rusty, it would be as solid as the day it rolled out of the factory.

10. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

I think all extended warranties are simply for the purpose of ADP....Added Dealer Profit....and have nothing to do with helping out the person that bought them. I learned early on to avoid them and simply pay for, or fix myself.

But to answer your question....no, I never heard of a U-joint going out in 3k miles. You might have a driveshaft with a slight bend in it ? That would also account for the vibration at 60.

11. BTPost

Well here we are @ 7:30Am at the Toyota of Seattle, Service Center.... All checked in and the Truck is back on the lift... I am still wjaking up... AlaskaChick is drooling over the 2018 RED bToyota Tacoma 4X4 Pickup Truck out in the showroom... It has ALL the cool &Latest gadgets and electronics builtin... If they screw up and our Truck falls off the lift, and gets munched, We are going to insist that they give us that one in trade...

12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

That would be a wonderful late Valentines Day present.... :)

sec_monkey, Ura-Ki and HK_User like this.
  13. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

A friend of mine years ago had his newly replaced u-joints go out in about 150 miles. The dipwads at the car repair outfit who replaced them didn't bother with grease. They got to do the job over.

I perform most of my own vehicle repairs. Took my Jeep to a local shop for an alignment. They said they couldn't because tie-rod ends, draglink, pitman arm steering knuckles were shot. They asked if I wanted a printout of the estimate. I said "sure", because the printout contains the part numbers of all the replacement parts.

On-line, type in the part numbers from the estimate, purchased all premium replacement parts (US made) for a total of $160. Their estimate was just under $800. Took a Saturday afternoon to replace. Done, and I didn't forget the grease.

Auto repair is the biggest ripoff of this century and the last one, too.:mad:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  14. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

CarMax. I will buy every car in the future from them and will have the warranty. When things go long (which is rare with one very notable exception which ended up being a God send) they put me in a car for the duration. They do a great job and don't jerk me around. On the phone now but will find my thread about this and post a link later.

Found it.
    So what did you put away this week?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    sec_monkey, Motomom34 and HK_User like this.
  15. BTPost

Good NEWS.... We are.”On the Road”. headed East on I-90.... FINALLY...

techsar, Yard Dart, TnAndy and 10 others like this.
  16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Wo sounds like a lot of mistakes with corporate and the dealership

i have a Toyota i take to the dealership here in the SW and they take care of the warranty items easily. They replaced the MacP struts in the front end free when the wore out. It is certainly annoying to deal with poor customer service and the mistakes that people make when you are trying to get something fixed. Sorry you had such a bad experience

Ura-Ki and HK_User like this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

My friend has 1996 taco he got back in 2006, just about the first thing he did was replace front and rear springs with OE style replacements, replaced all the wheel bearings and u joints.
    The truck was not lifted and he was not lifting it. Being a mechanical engineer he doesn't believe in such things.
    This appears to be normal for Toyota trucks.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

They suck! But glad you are squared away.

I love my Nissan Frontier 4x4. Bought the extended warranty too. It is about ten years old and I have about four years left of warranty service on it. Very trouble free for the most part. Started to have some issues last year. And I am in the black with the extended warranty.

Gator 45/70, HK_User and Ura-Ki like this.
  19. BTPost

Well the tail of Woe continues... We got to Utah, did the Antenna Job... Had dinner with all my Siblings, and while My Brother (The Engineer) was driving it back to his place, noticed the Clutch was slipping BADLY.... AlaskaChick has been the only one driving it for the lasr 18 months, and when he asked her about it, she said she had noticed it, but it didn’t seem to bad, so she ignoted it.... Well, last night, he pulled the Transmission/Transfer Case, and the Clutch out, and the Disc was Tissue thin on one side, and past the Rivets, and down to Bare Metal on the other side... So off comes the Flywheel, to get resurfaced, this morning, ($75US) and NAPA delivered the NEW Clutch Kit ($130.00US) to his business... We pick up the Flywheel in an Hour, then back to his home and maybe 3 Hours later, we will be headed to TEXAS, on our next adventure...

Ganado, Hanzo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Gotta ask, BT, how many miles does it have on it?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7