TARFU!!

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[​IMG]

You are a survivor.... but your house is on fire. Hopefully you have secondary storage and so on of supplies/prep's. Are you ready for this event, if not, what do you need to do to get better prepared for this SHTF event. If the house is on fire, what are you trying to retrieve before it goes. Ohhh and it is winter, are you ready for that contingency for your primary residence to be a smoking rubble?

Now think about it this way..... we are post-SHTF..... there is no Holiday Inn down the road, your insurance company does not answer the phone, relatives are nowhere to be found and you are on your own..... are you ready for worst case TARFU!!

2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Things Are Really Fk'd Up!
    Well, damn, hopefully the keys hanging on the hook inside the front/back door! If I some how made it out with out them, i'm risking it all to go back and get them!!!!

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I save AlaskaChick... The rest is just stuff...

4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Ever considering burying a fireproof safe in a concrete slab at one of the outbuildings..... placing copies of critical documents, keys and so on as backups......

5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

My Safes are located inside a concrete room completely fire proof ( plus the safes 1 hour fire rating) and above ground level to prevent water damage should the fire dept actually make it to the sight before it all burned to ashes! Spare keys are also kept off sight at my Cousins house! Documents are copied and stored in multiple locations both hard copy and electronic! ;)
    The home is also built of fire resistant materials and has a water sprinkler system installed on the roof, and vegetation is kept back from the home and outbuildings! Given the high fire risk there, every effort has been made to proof things!

6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

The dog

7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have an out building.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I am going to be living in my car. I know it and have been thinking about it lately. TARFU, that is a new one for me. TY @Ura-Ki for the definition. In my opinion, minimalism is key. Learning to live without the bells and whistles is a useful skill. Knowledge is key to ones survival. I do not own a place that I can bury something so what I have is what I have. If it burns then what I have in my car will be it.

Not sure if this goes with this topic but I will share. Water storage. My water storage is in my garage. I have 3 gallon jugs of water storage plus gallons, cases of water etc... My 3 gallon jugs frozen solid. I am in CO where we have milder weather compared to other areas. I saw my frozen water and thought if SHTF and I was without water and heat, this would be an issue. Here is my thinking: If the utilities went off and I went into survival mode, I would be heating one room with the generator. Heating with the generator would not be really warm but it would be livable. I would have to bring those frozen water jugs in to thaw but I do not think they would thaw fast enough to provide one gallon per person per day. I know if it stayed real cold with little sun, I would have a water crisis. And if TARFU happened, what about water?

So back to @Yard Dart's scenario, if TARFU happened. He threw a lot of questions in there but I am first thinking shelter. I ask what is warmer, a makeshift shelter vs your vehicle? We have all seen pictures of shanty towns, homeless settlements made out of tarps and cardboard. If my home burned down and Holiday Inn closed, what would be warmer? What is going to keep me and my salvaged water from freezing?

Ura-Ki, Yard Dart and SB21 like this.
  9. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Poncho and attached liner.

I've got my sidearm, knives, fire starter, and assorted other goodies in my pockets always. I can find water and food. What I don't have for the moment is shelter, and since that's what I lose in the fire, I have to take one with me. Probably good to slip off into the wood line and see who comes back to look for my body... and get the drop on them.

Ura-Ki and Motomom34 like this.
  10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I was once ready with half my gear stored in the steel barn ,and I don't know why I reversed my decision ,but I'll get back to you on that.

Yard Dart, Ura-Ki and Motomom34 like this.
  11. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Hadn't thought of this, at least not seriously, before. I have a bunch of stuff in my car, now to rethink.

Ura-Ki and Motomom34 like this.
  12. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

It gives whole new meaning to the old "Don't put all your eggs in one basket."

I'm thinking that some of my "baskets" are too far away, (intentionally, due to hurricane threat) and some are too dedicated to storing just a couple commodities.

...and that brings to mind another old standard. "Variety is the spice of life."

Just one more of these... I promise. ;) This one was used by a retired Marine who was working as a financial planner, and he'd learned it from somebody who'd trained him. It might be common to the financial planning world, but I'd never heard it before. "You can't eat a Hummel."

Yard Dart likes this.
  13. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

The dogs (will assume dh is capible of getting his own arse out unscorched)

VisuTrac likes this.
  14. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

She woke your butt up from snoring is more like it ;)

Good on U

15. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Of course, lives first as they are the most precious of anything. What I would grab, assuming Mrs. 3M and critters got out on their own I would (currently) grab my bug out bag along with my firearms "go" bag. That bag has an AR, a KSG, and a LOT of ammo. It can ne worn like a backpack, but in this emergency I the most convenient handle of each and run like ell. Vehicles are outside and well stocked for emergencies, mechanical and human.

At some point I will have a vehicle in ready mode 100% stored in my garage. I'll take it and pick up the others at our muster point. You do have a muster point for family members if there is a fire, right, so nobody feels the need to rescue someone who already made it out?

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  1. OlDiceGames
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Prepsteader13
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Alanaana
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Coyote Ridge