Ten Five Gallon Buckets - What To Put In Them?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by 3M-TA3, Feb 13, 2016.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Hey dog, don't forget "Strike Once Matches" couple of Pounds of Dryer Lint, a Fire Match, (Basic Fire Starting Kit) and an extra Box of Pistol Ammo.... Many Decades ago, when Alaskachick and I were married, My folks gave us a 20 Gallon Galvinized Navy Surplus Sealed Water Tank, with a complete (What we NOW call a Bug Out Kit, with Emergency Food, Shelter, Fire Starting Kit, Ammo for my 30-30 Rifle, Candles, and other Stuff.... also inside was a complete List of the contents... That Can still sits, with our Long Term Food Storage, and about once every 20 years or so, we dig it out, and refresh the contents, and then store it away till the next Refresh Event....

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    3M-TA3 likes this.
  2. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Many here probably remember the discussion boards, ie; alt.survivalism, alt. BBQ, alt.gardening, canning, chickens and so on.. Food storage and prepping was a popular forum during the 1990's as it is today and Alan wrote the FAQ for the food storage forums. If I remember right, he was involved in the Ham Radio and communications forums as well..

The FAQ version 4.0 is viewable on another site, however I believe it is copy written and I do not have consent to share.

3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@fedorthedog That is an EXCELLENT idea........especially the cards! (grin!)

Rick

4. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Geez @BTPost you really are a hard ass! All we got from the mother-in-law and relations was old Soviet vodka........but it is so goooooooooooooooooooood. I understand now why they were so tough :):):) I got some that is 50 years old now, most is 30-35 yrs. This was the stuff that they was issued every week. I have tried to get the chits (tickets) that they got for oil, bread, vodka but...no-joy. We plan on drinking the oldest on our 20th. - Rick

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

RR, that has been a Tradition, in our Familes, going back Four Generations... And we did the same, for each of our Children, when they married...

6. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

I separate the stuff in most of my buckets too. One thing I don't mix is things that can freeze and can goods or things that can't take freezing. It would depend on your storage and where you may end up if you have to leave, but I don't take the chance.

7. Powdered milk, canned creams, flour, cornmeal, hot chocolate, coffee. Soaps, candles, matches, razors, pedicure kit, sewing kit, if you have young females menstrual pads, medications, peppermints.

8. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Pet food
    Ammo
    TP, trash bags, etc for portable toilet kit
    Firestarting kit...tinder, fuel, flame/spark, propane torch, etc.

9. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Bruce I have that in bucket 1 and there is ammo a holster and a holster filler, it aint much to look at but works and is separate from all its cousins.

10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have one bucket chock full of dehydrated water. ​

1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. RJFab
  8. Thunder5Ranch
  9. duane
  10. TnAndy
  11. john316
  12. DKR
  13. DKR
  14. john316
  15. apache235
  16. Ganado
  17. alaskachick
  18. Motomom34