Test your Tuna

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ochit, May 1, 2018.

1. ochit

ochit Monkey+

2. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

$107 on Amazon.

Cruisin Sloth and Tempstar like this.
  3. duane

duane Monkey+++

Excellent or not, it is using a Geiger-Mueller tube and thus while very accurate, it will saturate at a fairly low level. Excellent for detecting lower levels of radiation or for detecting hot spots. The Scintillation counters, often shown at places like SafeCastle and such as NukeAlert will read much higher levels of radiation, limit at 100 + roentgen rather than about 1 for a geiger. Some type of dosimeter is also needed as it shows cumulative dosage. Looks like it might be good at the price for measuring background radiation levels and for detecting either shielded or low level radiation. The one shown would alert you to high levels of radiation, but pegged, at a low level, give less help in knowing how long you have to reach shelter, gather resources, pick up the kids, etc.

sec_monkey likes this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

It won't tell you anything useful about your tuna unless it is hot enough to kill you by direct gamma. To assess the effects, you need to know the concentration in the meat, and what the isotope is, and what it emits. Gamma is probably not going to be significant, alpha and beta are the emissions of concern in the digestive tract.

Now, if you want to know something about your exposure after a blast, it'll measure incident radiation at the moment it is read. (The graphing feature won't tell you a lot either unless there was a serious short term increase.) You will probably want a dosimeter to measure your accumulated dose which is what life or death is based on. Assuming you took the basic precautions to prevent ingestion of alpha and beta emitters, your risk will be entirely based on gamma.

sec_monkey and Tully Mars like this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Something is better then nothing.
    Mine is an RDX nuclear DX2
    uses 1 - 9 volt battery it's simple and works for every thing I need.
    I also have a sample, and the meter is right on the money.

6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Link it in Always Plz
    Sloth

sec_monkey likes this.
  7. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

8. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Guess we have moved well past the old smell test being good enough :)

Mindy Sue, Bandit99 and sec_monkey like this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Check out the radiation network .

10. SoaySheep

SoaySheep Monkey

I assume this is in regard to the Fukushima disaster?

11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

They are trying to create an ice wall about a mile in circumference in the soil to prevent the spread of contamination ,however the concentration of radioactive material I believe will over come any attempt to stop it . On top of that the river that flows from the mountains to the plant along with all the rain fall will continually exacerbate the problem .
    Further more what happens when the mechanics fail that control keeping the ground frozen?
    There are a number of plants all over the world , all over the US just as precariously placed .
    Because they exist is all the more reason NOT to be ignorant.
    Shortly after the Fukushima incident our government had the Giger counters on the coast shut down . I know because I made the calls at the time to the collages along the coast that monitor the radiation in the air and water.
    I had a good friend as a kid that had a company that made and sold geological testing equipment .He died of cancer , some of which was due to accidentally putting a test sample of radioactive material in his pocket .
    Familiarity in his case lead to ignoring the facts . He thought handling it so much, made him self an exception.
    Curious enough after a great deal of testing atom bombs the government established safe levels of radiation , however after the Fukushima event they raised the levels , whom do they think they are fooling ? I don't care what any one says about radiation discounting it's lethality , currently people are taught lies to cover the truth . If you do nothing to find out for your self, it's on you.
    I own and use a Geiger counter.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7