Thank Survival Monkey Forum for Telling Me About N-95 Masks Years Ago

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, Nov 3, 2020.

1. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

ED you are keeping them protected while they are outside on the balcony...you know from rain, dust, pollen, air pollution, etc.? Heating to 160 F. for 30 minutes will render bacteria and viruses sterile, and if they can't reproduce....! Don't wash them in anything as this will destroy the effectiveness of the mask!
    The last batch of N-95s have the vent on them.

2. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Not filters, them gadgets. They are check valves to allow unrestricted air flow in one direction.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

They're just in large open delivery kind of large package boxes. It rarely rains here but when it does I will put them inside my apartment. They are probably exposed to air pollution, pollen, dust to a small degree. Sorry for poor photo please click of balcony and some worn N95 masks awaiting to be reworn 30 or more days later. Since Coronavirus I leave my worn clothes and shoes out there as well along with a Garbage Container. Figure after 30 days any Covid will be destroyed by nature Balcony. Balcony. Balcony.

Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Swank Vans @ED GEiN, I like the tropical ones.
    According to what I have heard if you spray the masks with hydrogen peroxide or colloidal silver then let them sit in the sun, dash board allegedly works or on a window sill, it will help kill the germs on them. Some say to microwave them but IMO it will break down the materials.

Capt. Tyree and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Sounds like time for a cheap experiment. Let us know.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I hang mine on the rear view mirror of my truck and let UV kill the little bastiges. I only drive every few days so it gives plenty of time for the UV to work it's magic.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Not sure about hydrogen peroxide or colloidal silver but I do know that moisture/sweat inhibits the effectiveness to breath through the respirator until dried out. Will these liquids actually dry out or breakdown the material?

As far as microwaving, there are metal staples holding the elastic strap and a metal band inside that you bend to form to your nose bridge. That would be fun to watch, LOL.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

H2O2 works well as a virus killer, but it also may be destructive to the Material in the Mask, itself... Colloidal Silver has a very dubious effect on viruses, in Peer Reviewed Studies and Journal Articles...

VisuTrac and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

H2O2 at 20-30% , not the store bought 3% stuff Folks.
    Sloth

techsar and ghrit like this.
  11. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Eventually I probably will. Won't consider moving though until after the Coronavirus Pandemic is over. I'm quite content not leaving my apartment other than late at night/early in the morning to throw out my trash and pick up my mail as applicable. I have a good gym type exercise bike and Boflex to keep in shape, 20 cases of 24 pack 16.9 OZ Aquafina water and dried food to last me for a year. Do have to get Supermarket to deliver Fresh Fruit, etc. and use a great place called Goldbelly.com to have Pizza and Barbecue shipped in dry ice. Also thank God for Amazon and to Ebay

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

What brand do you recommend?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. sdr

sdr Monkey++

I've been wondering how you have been doing Ed. Can't say I blame you for the absence. Many of the responses you have received in the past seemed a bit hostile. Some think their best advice is maybe something that isn't possible for you in the near future. I have always appreciated your search for knowledge. However ridiculous some of the questions you post may seem to some, they always open up discussions on a deeper level. That is what I truly appreciate about you. Too many times opinion/political topics seem to be dominating the forum.

Your questions and insights are appreciated.

Masks. Oh yeah. I also have a pile of the N95's. Never thought I would be in the position of wearing masks on a daily basis. But that's why we prep in the first place. You never know.

Pretty much gave up the N95. Figured I would save what I have and use my cloth ones with a box of those cheaper hospital ones as backup. I just wash or rotate as needed. Not convinced one works better than the other until you get into some full face protection anyway. My biggest concern is keeping whatever I'm using clean so it doesn't cause any problems.

Gator 45/70 and ED GEiN like this.
  14. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Thanks for your response. I lucked out with the N95's as they were plentiful and not expensive on Amazon when I got them just in case of a Nuke Attack not Pandemic a couple of years ago.

Gator 45/70 and oldawg like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7