The American Dream You Have To Be Asleep To Believe iT!

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Gopherman, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

I think everybody here's got a little mean streak in em'!!! [wannamesswitme]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'm sorry if that's the impression you have gotten. In the 8-1/2 years SM has been open to the public, we have seen a few questionable characters but they don't usually last too long in this company. Most of us are basically friendly people with an abiding concern for not only their own security but that of others as well and always willing to share the benefit of what we have learned along the way. But make no mistake, we don't suffer fools or malicious intent easily. As we tell all new members upon their arrival "Our digital world is no different than the physical one in which you live, populated by people of diverse beliefs, personalities, experiences, and expectations and the Survivalmonkey forum is our community meeting room where our members can discuss everything from preparations to the good, the bad, and the ugly of their days. At it's best, you have arrived at a place where you might form friendships stronger than you would have imagined possible and the worst that can happen is that you might find a nugget of useful information that could, someday, save your life."

I believe that what you get in return is a reflection in the glass but we are not always aware of how our responses are perceived in the digital world. Absent face to face communication that includes facial expression and body language, it is easy to misinterpret the intent of a comment. That's something we all have to remember as we comment and question one another.

3. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Good post RH. It's funny I was just having a very similar discussion yesterday on how what we convey in the written word can sometimes be seen entirely differently by one reading it. I know it has happened to me more than once. What I wrote and my intent was crystal clear to me but was completely misconstrued by another. I see this more in attempted humor, the joke is completely missed and the intent taken seriously. It is a tricky medium to converse in for sure.
    By the way... this is MY dream home;)

10.JPG

Gopherman and RightHand like this.
  4. Minuteman

Back to the main topic. Living mortgage free doesn't mean living in a tent. It is entirely possible to eliminate mortgage payments from your life, but you have to be willing to sacrifice and to drastically downsize. I think that is part of the "American Dream" con game is that you have to have the McMansion in the suburbs with the dog and 2.5 kids and drive the new beamer.
    Now I am not being pompous or self righteous, just illustrating how I personally worked this. I deided early that I did not want to give my money away to rent someone elses house. So at 19 yrs old, newly married, I found an 8' X 54' trailer in a park for $1200. I bought it and we lived there for 2 years. I sold it for $1800. Next I bought a run down farm house that the realtor said needed to be torn down but I could move a trailer on the property. I borrowed some from family and bought it for $8000. I cleaned up the property and repaired and remodeled the house and sold it a couple of years later for $25,000. Next place I paid $15,000 cash for and same story, remodeled, cleaned up property, sold it for $35,000. Next house paid $25,000 cash for it and sold it for $55,000. I kept moving up each time to a more expensive and nicer place and never had a mortgage.
    It wasn't easy but it can be done. Some of the places I lived were not much more than a shell. One house someone had stolen all of the copper wire and the well pump. We used kerosene lamps and heated with the fireplace. We hauled water from my granddads place and our bathroom was a 5 gallon bucket on the back porch. It took a few months to get electricity and running water to the place but we made it. And to this day my oldest still talks about the times we would play board games or I would read her stories at night by the kerosene lanterns. Those are some fond memories.
    The less you owe to anyone the less chains you have on you. I think it should be a priority to anyone to be as debt free as possible. Even if that means you aren't living the "American Dream".
    I live overseas now and it just sickens me to watch american television now. The blatant consumerism, the buy it now, you need this. It is nearly overwhelming after being away from it.

STANGF150, Yard Dart and BTPost like this.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Even if you live it every day and don't puke, it can be overwhelming. But I digress--

Getting rid of debt should be a Number One priority. There is nothing to be gained by keeping up with the Joneses, nothing at all other than sinking on the same ship on which they are embarked. Without troubling everyone with the details, I have been on Federal ham and beans, and got out of that. Much later, sank to nearly the same level in jobless periods, and managed to clear things up in time to retire owing nothing other than to myself. It was worth the scaling back consumer instincts and raising the "do with less, use it up, wear it out" philosophy to get it done. Never did like paying interest on loans, but it was necessary now and then. So put the pressure on to limit that, and all should be well.

6. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Prioritizing is indeed the key. When we got TV shut off, it was because we were at the financial point where it was either get TV shut off, or electricity. And even though it really did upset me at the time to get it shut off, now that we can buy a few DVDs each month I'm much happier about still being able to watch 'TV', but without having to pay a bunch of money for a package of 120+ channels, when we only watch at most 10 of said channels.

7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I did much the same thing as MinuteMan.... When Momma and I got engaged, I was looking for a place for us to live... I knew an old Guy who's Mother had Died, and left him a small house, near my Folks place. He was in town, cleaning it out, so he could do something with it. I went over and had a chat with him. He really wanted to get rid of the place, and told me, "Kid, I will sell you this dump for less than you can rent it. I will talk to your Dad, and we will cook you a deal." My father was the local Bank Manager. The house cost $10K and he carried the Contract at 6% and it was $100US/month. Took us ten years to pay that off, but, we burnt that mortgage and felt great. Then we needed to get a bigger place because our family was growing. Sold that place for $45k, and used that to build a bigger place, and only had to finance $40K at 6%, again... Paid that off in the next 20 years, and then moved to Alaska, into Company Housing. Sold that place for $145K, and banked those funds for future use. Then bought two 5 acre Lots, just 1.5 miles south of the Cannery, and built a Cabin, on the Beach Lot, with just $20k out of the House Fund. Been debt Free since moving to Alaska, and never looked back. When I reTired, in 2003, I took my Pension Money and invested it in long Term Annuities, and PMs that are banked off shore but close enough to get to, should I need to get to them. With what I make, plus my Social Security, we are easily in a Positive Cashflow, so the investments just ride, and build. It all started with that little house 40+ Years ago, and my Father, the Banker... Who taught all his children, to be very conservative with Family Money, and finances.... My Story, YMMV....

STANGF150, Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  8. shamrock75

shamrock75 Hangin in monkey

I'm living my American dream.Unfortunately for most of us it's not as easy as it was to obtain 10 or 20 years ago.Here in new York I'm making the same amount of money as I was 10yrs ago but the cost of living is skyrocketing.Free trade has ruined what was once the economic backbone of the US economy, which has changed the "work hard" portion of the modern American dream...

Gopherman likes this.
  9. Gopherman

OK. You just proved your point about the written word, I was trying to BE FUNNY! I simply forgot to inject my emoticon, which by the way are really pretty cool. ( I guess some people are more easily amused then others)
    But if you have to explain it, it's obviously not funny.
    I really enjoy it here,obviously, if you look at how active I am.
    There is a lot of cool stuff and even a strong sense of comradery, between some of the members. I feel like I have made some friends here.
    I posted this thread to invoke thoughtful rhetoric, It has obviously worked. I do realize there are a lot of different viewpoints on any given topic, that's what keeps the blood pumping.
    Sometimes a nerve can be hit and a knee-jerk reaction occurs, but if someone is so thin skinned they cannot get past that, they might not want to be part of any Forum that is thought provoking. Just start a Blog, then theirs no discussion, just Diatribe.
    I have actually started a couple of threads and after reading it, though I was thoroughly convicted as to my thought, I deleted it because of the possibility it may be too controversial, I try hard to censor myself. I see no point in intentional provocation, however I do feel that some things just have to be said!
    SO having said that

All of your points are well taken and agreed with. [shtf]

10. Gopherman

That's not a house it's a VILLA!! Looks like it would be easy to defend on top of that hill though!

11. Minuteman

Sea in front, mountains behind, surrounded by pine forest. Pretty well self contained. Bottled gas for cooking, solar for water heating and radiant heating. 12,000 gallon potable water storage with 12 volt pumping system. Water is pumped from underground cisterns to holding tanks on roof that gives it the hydrostatic head for water pressure. A whole house generator for backup electricity. All in a country where you actually own your property. Taxes run about $56 per year and that pays for weekly trash pick up and 9 tons of potable water per month. If you don't want to pay it you have the choice to transport your own trash to the land fill and have a truck deliver your potable water or drill your own well. It's all up to you. Not the perfect survivalist retreat but not too bad.

Gopherman likes this.
  12. Gopherman

Pretty soon when the trumpets start sounding, I really don't think property ownership will be an issue. Crops are failing all around the world and food commodities will surpass oil very soon.
    Saw an article today that states world food consumption has surpassed production for the last 6 out of 11 years. almost all countries food stores are at an all time low with crop failures and unpredictable weather patterns being responsible for major crop failures across the world. Very disturbing news!!
    Wal-Mart's days are numbered, people better start figuring out another way to do this!
    Food prices have steadily increased and volumes have steadily decreased, so we're paying more for less everyday. Median income levels have fallen dramatically or stagnated at best, gas rises, food rises, health care implications sending shock waves through the country, currency decline, countries actively trying to get off the American Dollar as the world currency standard, none of this bodes well for us.
    When the Market crashes, notice I said when, it's on a 7 year cycle, (Coincidence?) with year 7 rapidly approaching, the final blow to a decent standard of living will completely disappear for the majority of Americans.
    God Help Us All!!! PLEASE!!

13. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Is there enough land there to have livestock of some kind? They are very useful. Not for food so much as having a multi-purpose 'item' that can be used as fuel, flaming weapons, or fertilizer(which will grow your food).

14. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

When I feel like goofing off and looking at overseas properties, I found a nice Irish castle that's only a few million. However it had too much open land nearby. There was an Italian castle that was in the midst of a forest, of course it was still visible by air, but you have cover nearby at least. But those as not such a dream as pure fantasy. As mentioned, my dream house is a Thomas Kinkade type stone cottage. My mother prefers log cabins though. I want stone because it's strong. And if I had the money to have that built, I'd also have a solar heated greenhouse built, as well as having someone do my root cellar for me(I'm digging it by hand, or I will continue once winter's over), get the chicken coop redone, and get the whole place off the grid. I think I would have a basement in the house for me to live in, because the first floor would be taken up by the kitchen, bathroom(I'd have a garden tub), the library(I LOVE BOOKS!) and the craft room. And I'd have rose bushes around the cottage. Raised (cold frame)plant beds nearby too for cool weather hardy plants(the greenhouse would be for stuff like tomatoes and peppers, etc). And our long driveway will be lined with fruit and nut trees. For livestock I'd have a couple miniature horses to keep our yard mowed, a milk goat, and as previously mentioned, our chickens. Oh and the basement would be my sleeping quarters because that's where I'd have my mini science lab.

15. Minuteman

Lots of sheep! There is a small orchard with 8 fruit trees. And about 2 1/4 acres adjacent that is for sale. Abundant small game in the forest. Rabbits, squirrels, dove. And a type of wild sheep. The nearby village has lots of chickens, eggs, and rabbits for sale or barter.

16. Minuteman

Ireland actually has a very attractive residency program with great tax advantages for foreigners. Money talks and in this depressed global economy nations around the world are fighting to attract foreign talent and investment.

17. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

You know in 2003 when I went to England for a few days, and was spending 1 day in Dublin, when I was telling people about my travel plans, none of them really cared that I was going to England, but when I mentioned Ireland, it got everyone interested. I really did enjoy Dublin. I took lots of pictures there. Got a kick out of the flying pig metal sculpture they had at the entrance to the airport(I keep that picture in my purse 24/7). If I suddenly came into lots of money, I probably would go back and visit. I remember when we were in the Seattle area, the community college I went to, they would have a community education(aka no credit) class about how to get dual-residency here and in Ireland. Maybe I should have taken it.

18. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I decided to search for some Irish real estate, and as I posted in chat, if I had the money, I'd buy this place: Green Valley Properties

One of the big selling points for me was that it was originally built in 1776. That and the nearest neighbor is a mile down the road [touchdown] Yes I used a banana. What of it? :p

19. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

131K with all the facilities...nice!!!

20. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

And I will not approach the banana comment!!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7