The best martial art for self defense

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Grape Ape, Jan 30, 2011.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

The best martial art???

AS one who's vast practical knowledge of martial arts consists of some lessons in Judo, wherein I didn't progress further than a white belt....The best martial art is one that one is competent at.

As to which particular style of martial art may be the most appopriate for self defence, I would suggest that one choose an art with a variety of offensive and defensive holds, blocks, throws and blows that one can use to get oneself out of the schuma.

The other thing to remember is that there is a big difference between competitive martial arts....and street fighting to save your life. When you are fighting for your life, there are no referees, no TKOs or points decisions. You either survive and live with or without injury....or you don't survive and die! There are no graceful respectful bows between opponents at the end of a street fight...and if you have stuffed up badly, there are usually no rematches.

2. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Monkey+

I like Aikido and will eventually go that rout. By the replies here and from my own research it looks like Krav might just be the way to go. I have some misgivings about this style though. I think it has to do with all the issues regarding fake Krav Maga and fraudulent schools. As near as I can tell the way to go is with the grass roots Israeli schools and avoid things like commando KM which they say is a fraud. Im not sure... its complicated.

3. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

I'm not sure I would attend any non-military school that had the name "Commando" in it. :)

4. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I have several years of rolling around on cold, frost covered grounds courtesy of Uncle Sammy.

What I found most was that ingenuity wins a fight and combatives is just to keep you alive until your buddy arrives or you can get to a weapon of some sort. Of course, this goes the same for the other guy. Size does matter. This is why we have weight classes in the sporting equivalents. A hand full of balls does work wonders ;)

The best advice I can give is not to be without a weapon. If his weapon is considerably greater, reconsider.

5. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Sprinting...followed closely by distance running if there is no cover.

(y)

6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Hurdling and steeplechasing would also be good options. : O

7. Lit 1911

Lit 1911 Monkey+

I have took Krav Maga ever since i was 18,so for 8 years now.The thing about it is that it uses steps from other styles as well,so it makes a really good start if you want to later learn other styles.I have trained a little in Jiu Jitsu and Wing Chun,but i have to respect Krav Maga.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7