1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

The Bicycle

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Stratovarius, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Stratovarius

Stratovarius Monkey+++

Energy used per passenger per mile is about 35 calories. A car uses about 1,800 calories.

The bicycle is the most energy efficient vehicle ever designed I think.

Learning to maintain and repair a bicycle and stocking up on spare parts might be a good idea.
  2. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

New experience here today...

I have a Beach bicycle....(Caloi)

My brother says it's too hilly here for it...so I am going to use his recumbant bicycle....

He rides a $2300 mountain bike.....I can't imagine....paying that for a bicycle, unless I was a serious cyclist.....
  3. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

recumbants are cool; everride his?? Alot of theworld uses bicycles for transportation as opposed to sporting toys as we do here, people go around the world on them..I think you are right, if/when the peak oil effects really become apparent we're gonna see many more of them.
  4. CRC

I rode it today.....

Heck of a workout....I'm sure I'll feel it in the morning.... ;-)

And it's not totally flat here like back home....Fun day though!
  5. phishi

phishi Psy-Ops Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

He might feel the same about a 1911.......course, I would also being such a fan of glocks! [pop]

6. jim

jim Monkey+++ Founding Member

I've been considering getting a used mountain bike to keep in my truck for the ride home during SHTF if needed. How much should a used one go for?
  7. CRC

My brother sold mountain bikes, recumbant bikes, etc....

He said it depends on the seller...but you can pick one up usually for $50.(ck the newspapers, Craigslist, etc.......or a brand new piece of junk at Walmart for the same price..but you would be getting a piece of junk...

He said 80% of the bikes that are sold end up being an impulse buy...New Years resolutions, etc.....and they end up being expensive clothes racks...

He said if you are really looking for a good SHTF bike...new $500....Used $200....
  8. jim

jim Monkey+++ Founding Member

Thanks! I'm forty miles from home and about the same from the wife and son plus another 11 miles when at work. I may end up getting a diesel pickup truck, but until then, I need an alternative.

9. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Bikes are 99.95% efficient. I have a Giant cadex carbon fiber mountain bike. I used to play on mototcycle trails here. I've endoed, biffed, fell over and bruised everthing at least once. Now it sports street tires. I'm getting too brittle. It would be a very useful item in an emergency.
  10. dukenukum

dukenukum Monkey+++

survival bike

bikes are a good form of transportation I have a older gt all terra that is set up for bug out got it used for fifty bucks a few years ago put a rack on the back made a couple of bags camped of this bike a lot I will replace the over priced useless rack with one of my own design so it will hold up also putting bags on the front . and build a trailer for it so i can pull my boat or canoe .[dunno]
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary