The "EMP" mystery revisited...

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by dragonfly, May 28, 2009.

1. QuietOne

QuietOne Monkey++

Expendable, you've done me a big service. I repeated your test with a cell phone in a sealed ammo can and it rang. Then I put the phone in a metal locker and called; it rang again. I assumed all the stuff I'd read about Faraday cages was correct. Assume; it makes an ASS of U and ME.

Got to line a box with aluminum foil. Thanks.

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Basically any electronics we may have a use for later, as we have 2 generators we are trying to build cages for at this time.
    All power tools like drills, saws, are not affected.
    We have MURS, GMRS, FRS radios sets, 2 each, UHF/VHF radios-3 each, and chargers of all types. Cell phones, Pc's we have 3 extras with 80-250 Gb harddrives and a lot of cd's and dvd's that are filled with info. ( I don't know IF any EMP would cause concern for storage like/types of devices, but why take the chance...)
    Back-up electronics for vehicles, (the newer ones), and practically anything electronic we can think of, that may be adversly affected.

3. The Expendable

The Expendable Bread and Circus Master

To tell you the truth, I was surprised at the results too. I had a couple of steel boxes I was planning on using, but I've since switched to aluminum.

By the way, anyone want to buy a couple of steel boxes? :)

4. The Expendable

I read that you can make a Faraday "cage" out of emergency blankets (the Mylar kind) taped together with aluminum tape. This would be used to cover large items such as generators or televisions. I haven't tested this method yet, but I'm skeptical.

5. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I dont know how well I'd trust in solar/mylar plastic style blankets....I suppose they would/might have some benefits at a long distance from an EMP.
    More than likely,.... they woud not.
    Double wrapped in aluminum foil, or inside a box covered with fine mesh screen and ALL grounded, is about the best you can get.
    Metal is the preferred outer covering/container for sure, as I can't even see aluminum foil or screen doing much unless it is isolated/insulated from the exterior container.

"IF" I can find the internet source again, I'll post what one mans has done, and it looks really good...!
    A man took and put a lot of his electronic gear into cardboard boxes, sealed them, wrapped them 2x in aluminum foil, taped that down. Then he placed the entire box/es into doubled large 30 gallon heavy mil trash bags, then taped them closed. Those were now placed into 32 gallon trash cans (new), after the cans were "foamed" around the bottoms. Then he foamed the sides and tops around the lot and closed the lids, and taped them closed!
    The foam he used is the type used for sealing around doors and windows...not cheap, but effective in insulating, and isolating the entire packages from EMP.
    It may be "overkill" even by my excessive nature, but for a really long term and protection state, I can't see it getting any better than that!

6. The Expendable

It sounds like he's got nothing to worry about! I can just see me going to all that trouble... boxing, wrapping, taping, foaming, canning, taping again... then saying, "Now where did I put my car keys?" D'OH!

I've read so many different things, often contradictory. Will my car run after a burst? Most of the websites I've looked at say it won't if it was built after about 1980. A report by the EMP Commission in 2001 says that only about 10% of cars will be disabled, and many of them will only be temporarily or partially disabled. Here's a link to the PDF of the report:

http://empcommission.org/docs/A2473-EMP_Commission-7MB.pdf

I think the bottom line is that no one really knows exactly what will happen. All we can do is to prepare as good as we can and help each other out if possible.

7. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

I'm so lost I'm just going to play Ostrich and hide till all goes away .

Maybe that's what I'll do just bury everything about 400 feet in an old coal mine .

8. The Expendable

If you stick your head in the sand, just make sure your tail feathers are wrapped in aluminum foil! [rofllmao]

9. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

10. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Last but not least, an "oldie but a goodie"....

full article removed at the request of the author- admin

It ican be found by searching on: Protecting Yourself from EMP. © 1989 by Duncan Long

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7