The EV and cold weather

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Dunerunner, Dec 30, 2022.

1. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I read a news article today that many Tesla customers who live in the States hit by the Arctic blast are not able to drive their cars. Not only do they not have enough range to get to where they want to go and back, but the cold weather inhibits the battery warming stage of charging and never reaches a temperature where the charge event will initiate.

So much for the battery powered electric vehicle be viable in a bug out or emergency situation.

2. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Or is this a coordinated plan to hit Elon?

Gator 45/70 and 3cyl like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The Laws of Physics do not depend on personalities…

4. Out in the woods

Out in the woods off-grid in-the-forest beekeeper

My plugin hybrid has battery heaters that keep the battery at optimum temps. But in this area of Maine it rarely gets below -20F. No doubt if I lived somewhere where it got seriously cold the battery heater might not be sufficient.

Gator 45/70, Seawolf1090 and duane like this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have been saying all along that electric vehicles are toys for rich people aka people who have a garage.

Plus haven't teslas been around since like 2013 and this is the first time we are hearing about this?
    What happened to global warming?

Gator 45/70 and 3cyl like this.
  6. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I've only had an opportunity to drive the Chevy Volt and Bolt, and neither in snow. If they do get out on a slippery snowy day I wonder how they handle? I learned lots of tricks on snow and ice with front, rear, and four wheel drive vehicles. All required some level of response to audible clues from both the engine and the tires (with a window open). I'm going to have to find an EV at work to thrash. My chances of snow are few, but I have a big wet grassy field to play in. I'll call it training. ;)

My bet is that most EV's will understeer and plow straight ahead on snow and ice due to their weight. Best to leave them in the garage with the Corvette and drive the "winter beater."

7. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Sorry guys, the point I was making was kind of obscure. I’m overseas on vacation, and the news here about the US is that 1) Teslas don’t work in winter weather 2) there is a huge winter storm that is killing Americans to the point that we aren’t allowed to drive and 3) January 6 committee tapes of testimony have been released!
    It is amazing how the media can spin up the topics. The first is to throw dirt at Elon, the second also includes that climate change will kill us all unless we switch to battery powered cars, and Trump is really, really bad.

8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Gator 45/70, oldawg and CraftyMofo like this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Leaf is better than average in the snow.
    The worst snow death trap I have ever driven by far was a 2000 new beatle.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

2000 new vw beetle has a full belly pan. in the snow it becomes a ski, lifting the drive wheels off the compacted road surface. Not good!

Gator 45/70 and Seawolf1090 like this.
  11. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Central Europe

12. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

It feels like it if you're on the Digby ferry in a loaded 18 wheeler. But they do serve good coffee so all good.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Might have to take into effect, the mindset and technical abilities of the average Tesla driver. Probably not the brightest light bulbs in the pack, ya know? Like this gal, trying to gas up her Tesla!! ;):rolleyes::whistle:
    gas tesla.

Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. hot diggity

15. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

OMG! Did he attend the Bubba-Joe Biden School Of Speechifying?

16. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

I actually REALLY want a reliable and affordable electric/solar charged 4x4. Sadly they are not yet a reality.

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Andy, what you want is a 4 wheeled rig with the electric Motors in each wheel hub, and uses a sync system that can drive each wheel independently, or any combination and synced… There have been vehicles like this built and driven, mostly on far off planets, like the moon, and Mars…

18. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Absolutely!!! For me it is about not being reliant upon a fuel bowser !! There are still lots of places here where the distance between fuelling (without an arranged drop) still exceeds or is too close to my onboard tanks. But absolutely not giving up too much ability off road will be great !! They will come, it’s if they are affordable though !!

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

You don't want hub motors.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. hot diggity

1. natshare
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner